Sign in to follow this  
RYR738

Making Waypoints (Tutorial)

Fred, next we need a tutorial on how to correctly set up an IAN approach since manuals are greatly detailed about GPS, RNP, Lnav/Vnav, but only thing discussed in detail is how to fly IAN but NOT how to set up properly in FMC. For example, should you select GS to ON if not on an ILS? Can you construct a LocBC, for example, if not shown in the FMC database for a runway that has an opposite end ILS? I have tried to follow what I can in the book, but usually end up with Lnav/Vnav being displayed instead of FAC/GP!

fred a quick question ... i notice all your examples are created from navaid (3 character) fixes. can you do the same with wayoint fixes (5 character) such as TAFTO on your FMC pic.

for now, cheers

john martin

"Along Track " waypoints ! Unlike the other 2 types of manually added waypoints,Along Track waypoints reference a waypoint that is already part of the Route. In the the examples below both Along Track waypoints reference the OED waypoint already in the Route. Along Track waypoints don't cause discontinuities. To make new waypoints before or after OED just line select OED to the scratchpad and add the value after the / symbol.Always use the minus sign for negative values. No need for the plus sign for positive values.When finished adding your value just line select it back up to OED. (The FMC will rename them OED01, OED02 etc.)
Even though you say "Along Track" waypoints do not cause discontinuities I am in fact having this happen. I use the LSK to put the point in the scratchpad. I then add a - if necessary and use the LSK from the same place it came from. I then get a discontinuity I cannot get rid of. The EXEC light comes on and it does not work and I cannot delete it. I last tried it at HADIE on the LTJ.BONVL 6 arrival into KPDX.Any thoughts would be helpful.

Even though you say "Along Track" waypoints do not cause discontinuities I am in fact having this happen. I use the LSK to put the point in the scratchpad. I then add a - if necessary and use the LSK from the same place it came from. I then get a discontinuity I cannot get rid of. The EXEC light comes on and it does not work and I cannot delete it. I last tried it at HADIE on the LTJ.BONVL 6 arrival into KPDX.Any thoughts would be helpful.
I would imagine that it is a problem with the NGX.There have been known issues with custom waypoints.The SP1 is due today and then it would be worth trying that again !!! Fred.

Many Thanks RYR738 for the Thread I have a Problem with Place-Bearing/Place-Bearing It says "Not in the Database" (LIN029/SAC080) (SAC080/LIN029) Can u Help please

Hi! A question: I've made a custom waypoint for aa approach procedure inserting: JNV126/15 and got JNV01. I need now to make a second waypoint that should be a left turn to 328 degrees away 8NM from JNV01. I've tried JNV01328/8 and got a "not in database" message. What am I supposed to do to make this new watpoint I need?Greetings

Hi! A question: I've made a custom waypoint for aa approach procedure inserting: JNV126/15 and got JNV01. I need now to make a second waypoint that should be a left turn to 328 degrees away 8NM from JNV01. I've tried JNV01328/8 and got a "not in database" message. What am I supposed to do to make this new watpoint I need?Greetings
Have you tried JNV328/23.0?

Just a few words about my findings ( so far ) since SP1 was released.1. it should be possible to create a place-bearing/distance waypoint using the FIX page in the CDU by entering the name of the fix in the boxes and then entering a radial and distance in the next line and line selecting that to the scratchpad. This however does not work but if you press the ABEAM LSK and then line select that to the scratchpad it will work. You can then also edit the distance in the scratchpad. ( but it's not the correct way of doing this )2. There is still a little problem with along track waypoints !! There is no problem when making them before a waypoint using the minus sign ( - ) but you cannot make them after a waypoint unless you sequence them AFTER the waypoint they were created from. ( Place-Bearing/Distance, Place-bearing/place-bearing and Latitude-Longtitude I have had no problems. )I have noticed many other little improvements with custom waypoints since SP1 but will not go into more detail about that untill I have done some more tests.Fred.

Just a few words about my findings ( so far ) since SP1 was released.1. it should be possible to create a place-bearing/distance waypoint using the FIX page in the CDU by entering the name of the fix in the boxes and then entering a radial and distance in the next line and line selecting that to the scratchpad. This however does not work but if you press the ABEAM LSK and then line select that to the scratchpad it will work. You can then also edit the distance in the scratchpad. ( but it's not the correct way of doing this )2. There is still a little problem with along track waypoints !! There is no problem when making them before a waypoint using the minus sign ( - ) but you cannot make them after a waypoint unless you sequence them AFTER the waypoint they were created from. ( Place-Bearing/Distance, Place-bearing/place-bearing and Latitude-Longtitude I have had no problems. )I have noticed many other little improvements with custom waypoints since SP1 but will not go into more detail about that untill I have done some more tests.Fred.
Fred,I was trying this yesterday using your tutorial. On the FIX page I was able to enter the radial, downselect this combination to the scratchpad, append the /distance then insert it on the LEGS page.I found it was also possible to make waypoints relative to custom waypoints, though others have said the NGX can't do this. It works if you downselect the custom waypoint to the scratchpad and edit that. However the NGX doesn't give the new point a new name, so you have two waypoints with the same name.Am I right in thinking that in the real NG along track custom waypoints should be entered by selecting the LSK next to the original waypoint? On the NGX you have to select the LSK after or before it, and get a disco.Kevin Hall

ki9cAAb.jpg

Fred,Great tutorial. Could we expect one on programming a DME-ARC ? Is this even possible in the NGX ?