Sign in to follow this  
mgh

Still seeking information

I have looked at the X-plane site and stll have the question what is the physical meaning of the generally radial, coloured cones - velocity, pressure, or what?

I have looked at the X-plane site and stll have the question what is the physical meaning of the generally radial, coloured cones - velocity, pressure, or what?
Taken from the page I gave you the link to... "The new flow-field visualization for X-Plane 9.30 Beta-5. Pitch-rate, downwash, and wake effects are all clearly visible"

Taken from the page I gave you the link to... "The new flow-field visualization for X-Plane 9.30 Beta-5. Pitch-rate, downwash, and wake effects are all clearly visible"
That is still not answering my question as to what it means physically. You previously said:
But here's a screenshot from the x-plane.com web site that shows the airflow around the aircraft. Landing Gear extended. Green airflow around the streamlined areas, red airflow around areas that cause drag (the landing gear).
Why is there no red around the extended nose-wheel?

I've answered your question. 3 times. Look CLOSER. There is orange around the nosewheel.If you need more clarification, email X Plane support.

I've answered your question. 3 times. Look CLOSER. There is orange around the nosewheel.If you need more clarification, email X Plane support.
You haven't answered so I'll ask again. What does his visualisation repesents physically - velocities, pressures or what? Referring me to the X-plane site suggests the reason you haven't told me is that you don't know the answer to my question. If you do know , why not give the answer?

You haven't answered so I'll ask again. What does his visualisation repesents physically - velocities, pressures or what? Referring me to the X-plane site suggests the reason you haven't told me is that you don't know the answer to my question. If you do know , why not give the answer?
X Plane support can give you the answer you are looking for.. http://x-plane.com/pg_support.html Have a nice day!

That means, as I suspected, that you don't know the answer. I wonder if anyone else here does?
I develop x plane add ons full time. 2 on the market and 1 nearing release. And you assume I don't know the answer.Silly.gifI told you the answer. How many different ways do you want to read it? I'm not going to write you an essay.In any case, X-Plane support might have the answer you want. Please feel free to email them.Have a great day!

I develop x plane add ons full time. 2 on the market and 1 nearing release. And you assume I don't know the answer.Silly.gifI told you the answer. How many different ways do you want to read it? I'm not going to write you an essay.In any case, X-Plane support might have the answer you want. Please feel free to email them.Have a great day!
How many aircraft you are developing is irrelevant to this thread. If you can't give the answer I suggest it's more than an assumption that you don't know it. Let me help you out with an example. Streamlines are a visualisation of velocity which is a vector quantity. The direction of the streamline represents the direction of the velocity. The spacing between the streamlines represents its magnitude. What do the shapes and colours in the X-Plane visualisation represent?

How many aircraft you are developing is irrelevant to this thread. If you can't give the answer I suggest it's more than an assumption that you don't know it. Let me help you out with an example. Streamlines are a visualisation of velocity which is a vector quantity. The direction of the streamline represents the direction of the velocity. The spacing between the streamlines represents its magnitude. What do the shapes and colours in the X-Plane visualisation represent?
Oh, ok. if you want to talk about streamlines, or fluid dynamics, then that's a different story. You should have said that in the first place. Would have saved all this trouble. The picture is displaying the field lines around the aircraft. In X Plane, the field lines constantly change in real time according to the wind and airflow on the aircraft.It's not every day I get people asking me about physics and I don't have the time to explain things. Seeing as you obviously have some knowledge on the subject, I can give you a short answer without going into detail. Hope that answers your question.Have a nice day.

Guest bstolle
the field lines constantly change in real time according to the wind and airflow on the aircraft.
I'm also wondering about that. In earlier x-plane versions the 'classic' streamlines were nicely visualized. What value or aerodynamic force do the 'field lines' represent?

I'm also wondering about that. In earlier x-plane versions the 'classic' streamlines were nicely visualized. What value or aerodynamic force do the 'field lines' represent?
Guys, I honestly do not have time to be tested or questioned on X Planes inner workings. I know more than enough and I use what I know to create add ons in a full time capacity.In between the already two contract jobs I have on at the moment, wrapping up the Saab 340, researching the documentation for the 747-400 and -200 and getting information on the DC-3, answering pointless questions to people who have no interest in x plane is just a waste of my time. (Sorry to be so blunt)If you pay me my contract fee, I'll be happy to conduct private consultations. Otherwise, please, stop asking questions that the majority of people in the simming community have no need to know.If you want to know anything more about x plane and how it works, feel free to email Austin.

Guest bstolle
If you pay me my contract fee, I'll be happy to conduct private consultations. Otherwise, please, stop asking questions that the majority of people in the simming community have no need to know.
Wow, your statement is rather surprising to me but it's definitely an eye-opener, thank you.

Wow, your statement is rather surprising to me but it's definitely an eye-opener, thank you.
That makes 2 of us. It's not every day I get asked a physics question. And then get asked to further explain. THAT is surprising.In any case, You're Welcome.Have a great day!

These vector graphics are NOT something we use for aircraft development. When we need any of theseparameters, we output the numerical numbers or do a cycle dump which contains all these details.They look impressive though and gives you a good idea how X-Plane and blade element theory works. There are different view modes and I attached some of them. I dont know what ALL the vectors and linesrepresent exactly since some of them are resultant forces and normal forces. Like the downwash.The downwash vectors will point straight down because you only see the CHANGE in airflow-vectorfrom the free-stream, so you only see the the downwards part part of the downwash In the 3rd shot from above, we are stationary on the runway. Slight wind (freestream) coming from the right (purple) and propwash (red). So in this case the lines represent relative airflow around the aircraft. On the 2nd shot you see the lift forces and thrust. Here you also see the main difference between FS and XP.We can model dozens of wing stations, all with different dihedral, sweep, incidence, chords, all wing sectionscan have several airfoils containing lift/drag/moment data, reynolds# etc etc.In short, XP's wing is way more advanced than the FS wing. Had this been FS you would have seen 1 lift vector. On the first one you see the freeatream air in all the tiny green lines. Had there been turbulence you would haveseen them point in all directions.. It probably doesn't show drag since that would basically clutter the whole screen up.