Sign in to follow this  
clum

Flight project cancelled/on hold

Interesting.. after all this... "tenminutetaxi" didn't have a single show.
Yup, that could of course just be coincidental, for example the guy might be upgrading equipment or on holiday or whatever, but I agree, it is interesting that the show disappeared after that. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Close relatives were hit hard by the recent wildfires and lost their house. That might be the reason behind the hiatus...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

It’s true Archammer was affected by the Bastrop wildfire in Texas - just after his last show.I believe he may have even lost his home (it seems from his receny youtube posts)All this sim-hobby stuff aside, he has my sincere sympathy.It must be a terrible ordeal to go through.

As though life isn't hard enough.

It’s true Archammer was affected by the Bastrop wildfire in Texas - just after his last show.I believe he actually lost his home.All this sim-hobby stuff aside, he has my sincere sympathy.It must be a terrible ordeal to go through.
Absolutely. That must be a terrible thing to have happen, if it is the case, he's got my sympathies too. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It’s true Archammer was affected by the Bastrop wildfire in Texas - just after his last show.I believe he actually lost his home.
Yikes! sad.png

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

We estimate less than 40,000 active FS enthusiasts worldwide, across both the tube liner and VFR disciplines. We know this purely from tracking our sales data and also being aware of other developer's sales data which they share with us. Please don't use the number of registrations at AVSIM, Flightsim.com or other forums as any indication of the community size. That is a totally false assumption. The community is based on what they purchase, and 99.95% of FS enthusiasts purchase add ons for their sim, as well as enjoying the plethora of freeware available.
Can we also assume that approx. 160,000 VATSIM registrants are "non enthusiasts"? I can't find an exact member count for VATSIM but from their website it states "approximatley 200,000". I'm certain quite a few of those are either duplicates and/or no longer valid, but could it be that many?

At one time there was a program or web site that let you see the activity logs of VATSIM pilots. It showed the flyers who was active which was something like 10 or 20 thousand? But IIRC many of them flew like 2 or 3 hours a month, at best.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

There may be a lot of duplicates for VATSIM, but there are also a lot of "enthusiasts" who don't use VATSIM. Either way, 40.000 enthusiasts seems a bit on the low side. Perhaps the number of FSUIPC users would be a good indication, but there's probably no info on how many users have installed it.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

AVSIM's Forums have about 75,560 (3778 pages each with 20 members). Of those 54,640 have never posted and could be regarded as inactive members. That leaves only 20,920 members who have actually posted at least once. This suggests only 27% of members are active. It seems possible that Orbx's figures are in the correct ball-park.

My interpretation was the 40,000 figure is a segment of hardcore pay-ware users. We can slice the audience a lot of different ways and come up with very different numbers. For instance, SquawkBox has 120,000 unique IP downloads. That could translate into maybe 100,000 unique users that have tried the tool. But it’s not clear what that means for commercial FS software – not much once you take account of the unknowns. IMO using a number around 40,000 is practical and realistic. But there are many-many users (I still call hardcore) that are outside of this pay-ware segment.

Lets Assume that the 75,560 actually bought FS at one point but are not hardcore, that is still a potential market, even if they just buy and don't use it at all. but then again 40,000 would actually be practical plus or minus 10%, sort of a middle figure.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.