Sign in to follow this  
Gramps ZA

Freeze=Computer out of memory?

Flying today and the NGX froze. The computer then said windows had run out of memory? Why? This has never ever happened before?

Hi shannonI just dropped into forum to say that i also get this problem.usually after about 30-40 minutes,only when using the NGX.I know it's very complex so i did expect something to go .says to lower my graphics settings,but i don't want to do that as i don't get it with any of my other addon aircraft.Realair beechduke or aerosoft airbusX.going to try the hotfix see what happens. steve

Hi SteveI've applied the hot fix about a week ago.I have about 30 hours on the plane with one freeze when I first got the plane prior to any fix. This freeze showed the out of memory notification and I wondered if it was because I'm on vista 32 bit which only uses 4 gig of ram?

Hi shannonI'm using win7 64 with 4gb,should be plenty,well it is for every other aircraft i've had.LDS767,pmgdJ41,pmdg747-400x,real air spitX,i've had loads of aircraft,but never a out of memory error unti the NGX.Sp1 is due roughly around the 23rd of this month.so maybe just wait and see.in meantime a redownload and install is happening right now. steve:-)

I don't think there's very much they can do about 32-bit systems.For the poster running 64-bit & 4gb ram, that's about the same as having 32-bit. Better to install 6 or 8 so fsx can use 4gb without the system taking up any of it.

Try setting Manual load to true in your dll.xml file for all your addon aircraft DLL's, and DLL's for utilities, you don't always use. (Leave the ones that run all the time alone) When FSX load say no to load all modules you are not using. This significantly reduces the memory load. Note the NGX only uses the "PMDG_HUD_interface.dll" so it safe to not load the DLL's that the PMDG 747-400 and MD-11 loads (If you have them) as well. I've done this, and haven't had a freeze or a OOM since. When you use other aircraft, you can turn them back on.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Try setting Manual load to true in your dll.xml file for all your addon aircraft DLL's, and DLL's for utilities, you don't always use. (Leave the ones that run all the time alone) When FSX load say no to load all modules you are not using. This significantly reduces the memory load. Note the NGX only uses the "PMDG_HUD_interface.dll" so it safe to not load the DLL's that the PMDG 747-400 and MD-11 loads (If you have them) as well. I've done this, and haven't had a freeze or a OOM since. When you use other aircraft, you can turn them back on.
Please explain how this is done...

Try using the /3GB VAS switch. It's got nothing to do with these .dll's. They won't take up much space at all. The problem is you're running FSX + windows Kernel + large amounts of Vram in a 2GB space. That's going to bring OOMs. Only way to fix this is 64bit OS, /3GB switch will reduce chances, but won't get rid of it completely, or reduce memory intensive settings (autogen for example. Use normal. It's just as good looking and frees up a heap of resources)

Try using the /3GB VAS switch. It's got nothing to do with these .dll's. They won't take up much space at all. The problem is you're running FSX + windows Kernel + large amounts of Vram in a 2GB space. That's going to bring OOMs. Only way to fix this is 64bit OS, /3GB switch will reduce chances, but won't get rid of it completely, or reduce memory intensive settings (autogen for example. Use normal. It's just as good looking and frees up a heap of resources)
Already done that! Manually loading , or should I say preventing the loading of these DLL's have cut my FSX memory usage from 1.8-1.9GB with a 2.1GB commit, down to 1.5GB with a 1.6GB commit. This gives FSX the room it needs to run the NGX.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Please explain how this is done...
The dll.xml file is in the same folder your fsx.cfg file is in. Make a copy first, then edit the file On the entries of the DLL's you'll see a line <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> Just change it to True for each DLL you want FSX to give you an option to load on start of FSX <ManualLoad>True</ManualLoad> Note the PMDG DLL entries, do not have this entry, it is save to add it. Just place it under the line <Disabled>False</Disabled>

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Di, I think you may have mis-understood Tom. What he is saying, is to reduce the likleyhood of an OOM, by reducing the loading of the DLL's. One of the aircraft DLL's that I believe is sucking the life out of FSX is Wilco and believe it or not, the LVLD 767. Wilco has gone in the Bin, and can jolly well stay there, and lvlD is set to manual. (Thank you Tom, for the tip.) Now if you enjoy autogen at very dense, you don't have to worry so much about redundent dll's stealing some of your resources. This is not to say it banishes OOM's to oblivion, but reduces the likleyhood. Cheers

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Okay so let me see if I'm understanding. When FSX is loaded, and the dll's that are loaded through the dll.XML, some of these unwanted .dll's are actually running, taking up 300+ MB's of VAS?

Yes. I removed the wilco, super traffic board, pmdg , 767. I gained about 400 on the usage meter. Also, weird things were happening in regard to the LvlD 767, when loading the NGX on the free flight screen, the 767 license error dialouge box would appear. in otherwords, eventhough I had not requested the 767, it is still live, waiting to be loaded.I have read on here, that one user had to remove the 767 dll from the Dll.xml, as it effected the loading of the NGX. So, yes, I do believe some aircraft are using memory, even though they have not been loaded in the free flight screen. I have also remarked them out in the FSX.cfg as well to be sure.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

A level d license error? Wow that's odd. Why would it try to call up that?

Yes, exactly. One would assume that any other aircraft would be dormant, untill you called it up. Seems not. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will jump on here and tell me otherwise Praying.gif So, anything, aircraft, tools etc that is set on auto in the DLL.xml, must be ready and waiting to go, not fully but waiting all the same. Cheers