Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

10th Anniversary 9/11 Tribute

Thanks guys, I got a couple PM's asking about the paint and where they could download it. I guess my post a few up was missed so here's the link again. Download Link It's been uploaded to Avsim but will take a couple days to process I imagine. The one that I uploaded to Avsim is the same as this one. The one on my forum is nearly the same but with slightly lighter colored wings, not much different if at all really.As for making this for the NGX, sorry but I don't think that it's possible to do this for any other paint out there. The -8 is the only one I have with the size to do a project like this. Last year I actually started with typing each name into their own layer. I got into "C" and that took days. I then did a test to see if it would even work, using the smallest legible size font there was I couldn't get it done so nearly abandoned it. I kept duplicating the names until I had the amount about right, then tried to make them fit, they wouldn't. I had posted somewhere that it wouldn't be possible, even for the large -8. About a month ago, I tried something different. I had already had all the names but for the ones that would go on the fuse (the WTC names) I tried a test where I took all the periods off the end of all the JR. & SR. I then took out all the middle names and tried again. To my amazement this worked and with room to spare, although not much. I then went back through the list and re-added the middle initials for each of the duplicate names since there were many that could only be separated and known by their middle name. I then made one more change and that was to re-add womens maiden/married name. I had removed the maiden names and didn't really want to do that so was happy to see them back on the paint. I'll be getting the NGX a bit down the road but it's just too small. Once I do get it though I'll try to rasterize all the text and do a test but I can almost guarantee it won't work. There's just too many names.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

That is an amazing repaint. May those who lost their life in 9/11 rest in peace.

A fantastic tribute to the victims of a horrific attack. May they all rest in peace.

Amazing, I cant imagine how much work went into this, thank you!

Jay

Thanks a lot guys, I really am happy you all like it. It makes these projects more than worth it. The file is available on Avsim now so I killed the link above. I posted the link and a must watch video that I've been working on for 5 days straight. It's long, but I don't like to delete my ideas ;)Here's the link.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Sorry to bump this but I seem to get a lot of PM's about things I already answered. These things I believe would come from this topic since they relate to making the livery for other aircraft and these people probably don't browse the -8 subforum. I've been asked by many to makes this available for other paints. It is not possible. I hate posts that people emphasize words with bold, caps and underlines but the word "not" should be a 500 size font.It is not at allllll possible to do this for any other aircraft I have ever seen in FSX period. Payware or Freeware (yes, a lot of requests for freeware, that's just laughable). The -8 is the Only paint or model that has this much area to work with. Even other painters say to just make the textures larger for the other variants and models. Ummm, that isn't at all correct. You still need the area within the actual bird to be then shown in FSX. Even aircraft that have this size or scale, do not have the same regions created by their developers. This meaning all paints wrap, as a map wraps around a globe, a texture wraps around the plane. You have certain regions that text or fancy art work is then pulled by the vortices and distorted. This one fact is what painters have to deal with on any and every livery. Lastly, let's just say for argument sake there is a livery out there and model that would allow such a thing. Each name is in alphabetical order and spaced evenly within the area of what I had to work with. This means they all have 7 spaces between names (any less made the names look like just a last name or middle or even maiden name). Then once that was done, each name line had to be moved to the safe zone of the vortices pull and again modified. After all that, spacing had to be applied to make room for all the doors. This of course meant later names then needed to be moved to a line below and causes an avalanche affect where then each and every line must be modified to add the names from the above line that were then moved off the paint and safe zone. The line then had to be respaced, per name, to keep it looking uniform. One name change would mean a days work. I know that may be hard to understand by non painters since apparently even some painters have questioned and tried to give advice. It's appreciated but trust me when I say alllll possibilities have been looked at, have been attempted and it just will not work. Even to make it work on the -8, I had to remove all middle names from all the WTC victims. All periods had to come off the ending of all SR and JR's. That alone freed up thousands of characters. For all duplicate names such as John Smith, I kept a middle initial to be able for people to tell them apart and after seeing I then had the room, decided to put back all the female maiden/married names since I hated to have to drop either of those. Lastly (yes, a second lastly ;) ), the font size was changed several times. I had it smaller at one point but when doing the bumping it became apparent that to make bump mapping and the engraved name look correctly that I had to increase the font. I changed it from an 8 to a 9 (8 being the smallest possible), and then got it to work, but of course that font size change led to 3 weeks of additional work. So once again, I am sorry this cannot be done for any other paint. I hope you can now understand why. Sorry for the bump of this, but hate to not see or get back to PM's right away and was amazed at how many asked for this. I wish there was a way but there isn't. Thanks,

Dan Prunier

Very Cool Dan! Nice post! Thoughts and prayers were with all of the people that experienced that tragic end, and all of those that gave their all in a time of need!