Sign in to follow this  
wanabflyer

UIAutomationCore.dll - Confused

I have read so many threads on this subject and am totally confused. The advice i see quite often given to guys having problems with crashes, freezes, whatever is, download a particular version of this file and place it in the FSX root folder and sometimes delete or replace the one in the windows folder etc, etc, etc.I am not having any major problems apart from the odd glitch here and there. For instance controller problems after landing, which could be my fault because as yet i have not installed any Hotfixes. Or maybe it has nothing to do with NGX and more to do with my controller hardware/software and there is the occasional jitter in my graghics when panning around which could be settings in EzDok or Trackir.So, do i leave well alone or am i headed for problems if i don't replace,delete, add or whatever this file?And what i am realy interested in is why some guys need to fiddle with this file and others seem not to. So i am confused.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

This dll will not fix the problem you are having, this dll needs placing in the FSX root folder only if you have issues with FSX crashing to the desktop when you go in the menus with your mouse and select something. Usually the crash will not happen right away the first few times you are in the menus, it usually crashes after say 10 or 15 menu selections. Ignore all the posts you read about having to remove this dll from system folders that is not required for this dll.

Cheers, Andy.

This dll will not fix the problem you are having, this dll needs placing in the FSX root folder only if you have issues with FSX crashing to the desktop when you go in the menus with your mouse and select something. Usually the crash will not happen right away the first few times you are in the menus, it usually crashes after say 10 or 15 menu selections. Ignore all the posts you read about having to remove this dll from system folders that is not required for this dll.
Thanks Andy. I kind of figured that would be the answer. The problems i have, which are small (considering i haven't even installed a hotfix), i will get ironed out gradually as i think they have nothing to do with NGX. I just find it strange to see this problem show up in one system and then not in another similar system.

Rick Hobbs

check for my post witthin the same page. UIAtomationCore.dll (Bye Bye). this is the only thing that worked for me

Nothing the OP spoke of in his opening post suggests he is having crash to desktop problems when using the FSX menu system and that is all that UIAtomationCore.dll fixes. The clue is in the name of the dll UI (user interface) Automation Core, i.e. it handles the mouse interaction with menu items and that's all it does, its not a magic pill that heals all ills..

Cheers, Andy.

Today i flew my first fligth without UIAutomationCore .dll file anywhere in my computer, and i even tried to switch views as much as possible. i am glad to say no failures.

Hi Andy,i have had this view clicking crashes forever,i have left everything as was and downloaded the UIAutomationCore .dll vista 32 version,now is a root folder the one under my x86 or is the hidden one,and if one is called the root folder?what is the other one called?thanks AndyJames.

The FSX root folder is the folder where the FSX.exe file is i.e. somewhere like ....\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ that is the only place you need to put the dll, no other action is required.

Cheers, Andy.

You have an apt signature, that is a bigone too :) You only need to register a dll when you want it to be used system wide by all applications that would need to use it. In the case of this dll you only want FSX to use it, when you put a required dll in the same folder as the app that is going to want to use it it will always search for the said dll in its own folder first, that's why its recommended to place it in the FSX root folder so only it will use it and nothing else.

Cheers, Andy.

Here is the deal on the dll: It's a Windows OS library for creating user interface (UI) elements. It resides in the Windows\System32 folder. FSX calls it to create the menus and dialogs in the sim and it's also involved in view switching. There is an incompatibility between FSX and the Windows 7 x64 version of this file that can cause a crash after a certain amount of uses of the menus or view changes. A lot of crashes people assume are out of memory errors or whatever are actually this uiautomationcore.dll problem building up over the course of a flight - it can take several hours for enough actions to happen to trigger the freeze or crash with it. You can see it yourself by doing the following - load up any aircraft - default ultralight is fine. Without any replacement dll in your FSX folder, start bringing up the right-click menu over and over. After 20-30 times, the sim will crash - it's totally repeatable for me here. The replacement file is from Vista x64 I believe and doesn't have any issue with FSX. To answer an earlier question, the reason this works is because applications have a series of fallback "paths" where they automatically look for required dlls. The first place it checks is the same folder the exe is in... After that it'll look in the various Windows system folders, the side by side cache etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

One question Ryan: I have put the file in my FSX directory, but FSX still keeps crashing. What am I doing wrong?

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Here is the deal on the dll: It's a Windows OS library for creating user interface (UI) elements. It resides in the Windows\System32 folder. FSX calls it to create the menus and dialogs in the sim and it's also involved in view switching. There is an incompatibility between FSX and the Windows 7 x64 version of this file that can cause a crash after a certain amount of uses of the menus or view changes. A lot of crashes people assume are out of memory errors or whatever are actually this uiautomationcore.dll problem building up over the course of a flight - it can take several hours for enough actions to happen to trigger the freeze or crash with it. You can see it yourself by doing the following - load up any aircraft - default ultralight is fine. Without any replacement dll in your FSX folder, start bringing up the right-click menu over and over. After 20-30 times, the sim will crash - it's totally repeatable for me here. The replacement file is from Vista x64 I believe and doesn't have any issue with FSX. To answer an earlier question, the reason this works is because applications have a series of fallback "paths" where they automatically look for required dlls. The first place it checks is the same folder the exe is in... After that it'll look in the various Windows system folders, the side by side cache etc.
So where do we put this vista x64 one? The FSX root directory or the System32 directory?

Where does common sense tell you to put it after reading what Ryan just said? Read the last paragraph again if you are not sure.

Cheers, Andy.

So to answer my question in my post that started this thread: Yes download the Vistax64 version file and place it in my FSX root file, even if i have not had problems yet ?

Rick Hobbs