Sign in to follow this  
Ben Morton

Short Field Package

SFP does not affect V speeds,
Whats this then...
Flight spoilers are capable of 60 degree deflection on touchdown by addition of increased stroke actuators. This compares to the current 33/38 degrees and reduces stopping distances by improving braking capability. Slats are sealed for take-off to flap position 15 (compared to the current 10) to allow the wing to generate more lift at lower rotation angles. Slats only travel to Full Ext when TE flaps are beyond 25 (compared to the current 5). Autoslat function available from flap 1 to 25. Flap load relief function active from flap 10 or greater. Two-position tailskid that extends an extra 127mm (5ins) for landing protection. This allows greater angles of attack to be safely flown thereby reducing Vref and hence landing distance. Main gear camber (splay) reduced by 1 degree to increase uniformity of braking across all MLG tyres. Reduction of engine idle-thrust delay time from 5s to 2s to shorten landing roll. FMC & FCC software revisions.
http://www.b737.org.uk/flightcontrols.htm#Short-field_Performance_Enhancement_Program

Okay so 68.000 kgs is 149,000 lbs or less for takeoffs, with max takeoff weight in the NGX being 174,000 lbs. Seems like it would be less than 149,000 lbs thats only 25,000 lbs less than MTOW?

Gabriel, Is all the information you provided on SFP on the PMDG documentation? Obrigado!
Hello Edmundo! No, those are SBRJ Standard Operation Procedures specific to SFPs, which is not included on PMDG docs.
Okay so 68.000 kgs is 149,000 lbs or less for takeoffs, with max takeoff weight in the NGX being 174,000 lbs. Seems like it would be less than 149,000 lbs thats only 25,000 lbs less than MTOW?
I'm not sure, Paul... but I think SFP has MTOW of 89.000 Kg or 196.000 Lb

Hello Edmundo! No, those are SBRJ Standard Operation Procedures specific to SFPs, which is not included on PMDG docs. I'm not sure, Paul... but I think SFP has MTOW of 89.000 Kg or 196.000 Lb
Gabriel, Is there any more information or tips that you are aware of and can share about operating in short fields? By the way, thanks for the information that you have already shared here. Now can i have safe flights in and out of Santos Dumont, i was looking for those weight limits for a while.

Nice thread. Good information in it. Too bad it is not long for life since several people here think they are better than the rules of the forum, and inexplicably retailiate when they are asked to follow them.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

I'm not sure, Paul... but I think SFP has MTOW of 89.000 Kg or 196.000 Lb
Well maybe that is an ER version. The Max Tow Weight of the PMDG 737-NGX is 174,000 I not sure what I weighed total when I did the flight. However when I tried to take off with 20,000 lbs fuel, 12,000 lbs Cargo and 162 Pax (Max 2 Pax Configuration) I barely cleared the runway.with about 100 ft to spare.

I hope the lower VREF with the SFP will be included in the first service pack. If not, I would be interested in knowing by how much VREF is reduced with the SFP. Apparently the pitch increases to 3.5 degrees on approach, from 2.5 degrees, for the 800 with flap 30, so it's only a one degree difference, so I'm guessing by about 5-10 knots or so. Martin Wilby

Beside the fact that you two characters is playing sheriff, instead of helping the guy, I'm going to give him some information... SFPs characteristics are described in the documentation provided by PMDG together with the software, please refer to that for complete list of modifications. 737-800SFP is intended to be able to land/takeoff in extremely short runways. The shortest runway that a 737 can operate in the world is my home airport: SBRJ. Another good (a little longer than SBRJ) short runway is SBSP. You'll be pleased to land on both, but be patient if you make 3 or 4 missed approaches on SBRJ. It's hard to land there without practice.
Gabriel, I just tested 737-800NGX at SBRJ. Landed through Teleferico cable and high hill to RW02R and stopped at 3000 Ft. MAX brake settings with 40 Flaps. It was a good challenge. Specially flying between hills and cable.LOL.gif Sanal

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

I would seriously like to take a large plastic spoon and dip same into a coarse pancake batter until coated with copious amounts of the aforementioned flour, egg, and milk based emulsion, then finally, with little or no fanfare, fling the raw mixture at you. I would futhermore like to repeat the above steps several times in quick succession.
Made me chuckle.. Ill join you!..lol

I just want to thank everyone who has contributed to answering my question seriously, without the need to play sheriff or be a little sarcastic in ur answer. So for the sarcastic amongst u i am sorry i didnt follow the rules and sign my name on my original post, how careless of me not to let the whole world know my name, i am sure the earth will fall off its axis because of this mistake. Be good and happy simming Ben Morton, or is it Donald Duck? hmmmm DD

I just want to thank everyone who has contributed to answering my question seriously, without the need to play sheriff or be a little sarcastic in ur answer. So for the sarcastic amongst u i am sorry i didnt follow the rules and sign my name on my original post, how careless of me not to let the whole world know my name, i am sure the earth will fall off its axis because of this mistake. Be good and happy simming Ben Morton, or is it Donald Duck? hmmmm DD
You're welcome, Ben. So, are you convinced to visit my home airport (the shortest runway that a 737 regularly operate in the world) with the NGX?

The SFP actually doesn't seem to do anything as far as i'm concerned Ben. I tested it, there doesn't seem to be any difference in landing distance. I may be wrong! The reduced VREF hasn't been coded into the FMC either. Of course you can knock 5 knots of the VREF to simulate the lower VREF of the SFP package if you like. This is contrary to information here... http://www.facebook....229349443771514 So I will test the SFP again. Martin Wilby

This is contrary to information here... http://www.facebook....229349443771514
Since Ryan said this in another thread about the same thing::::
Most likely not - certain aspects of this system require changes to the air file and a whole separate model etc - probably not going to be doing that.
It leaves me to suspect that the only part of the SFP package that is actually modelled is the extra power for take off ("TO-B") setting. Although the Facebook article certainly states that they have done more, your findings and Ryan's comment would suggest otherwise. Shame.. . . G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Gary... I have tested again. I was wrong! I tested at EGJJ, both with the SFP and without. All parameters identical.As far as I'm concerned, the SFP DOES reduce landing distance, and thats with the same VREF, with and without SFP. Obviously reducing the VREF to accommodate the bigger tail skid would have even more effect. Ryan's comment to me was in regard to the FMC's SFP VREF reduction. Which of course isn't implemented. So not sure why he mentioned the airfile. The information contained here... http://www.facebook....229349443771514 Is spot on as far as I'm concerned! The effect of the greater spoiler deflection and other airframe mods is modeled, i'd say. I'm nipping off to test with the SFP VREF reduction now. Martin Wilby

That sounds better than the other posts implied. It would be interesting to find out exactly what is and isn't modeled....G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron