Sign in to follow this  
MrGreen

i7 2600K Max safe core temp

Hi. I've been OC'ing my cpu the last few days and was stopped at 4.5ghz and 1.31v before because my thermal paste I used was of sub quality. Now I've recieved some Noctua NT-H1 that comes heatsink and want to go further. At 4.8Ghz I pass Intel Burn Test (linpack) at max memory usage and HT on, but vcore is kinda high (1.415v) and temps sometimes reach 83, 82, 82 (core 1,2,3. core 0 is always a lot cooler). I then lowered the vcore to 1.395v and didn't have any bsod's but i failed at the fourth pass, temps reached 81 on one core a couple of times (realtemp max: 72, 79, 81, 79). I'm wondering what the max safe core temp is for an unrealistic test like IBT? Should i nudge up the vcore to 1.4/1.405 even though i might have temps at 81/82 once or twice? Thanks in advance :) EDIT: The vcore setting at which i failed IBT but didn't bsod was 1.395, not 1.4 Other settings I've changed:DRAM Freq: 1333mhzPLL Overvolt: DisabledLLC: Ultra HighVRM Freq: 350Phase control: ExtremeDuty control: ExtremeDRAM Volt: 1.65 (according to RAM spec)

Thanks for the link ironmaiden... When a lot of people post their temps it sometimes feels like those are the CPU temps (tcase) rather than core temps, so to clarify my CPU (not core) temp never went above 69c but I've always heard that core temp is the one you use, not the cpu temp. Anyway, I'd still like some guidance on what to do with my OC :) I guess I could turn HT off, but I'd really like to have it on because of extra performance in some other applications i use (not extremely important however)

Thanks for the link ironmaiden... When a lot of people post their temps it sometimes feels like those are the CPU temps (tcase) rather than core temps, so to clarify my CPU (not core) temp never went above 69c but I've always heard that core temp is the one you use, not the cpu temp. Anyway, I'd still like some guidance on what to do with my OC :) I guess I could turn HT off, but I'd really like to have it on because of extra performance in some other applications i use (not extremely important however)
Yes you have to check the core temp. I have no idea about your CPU so can not help you on that except the link I provided. Try a google search for "i7 2600k max temp" or "i7 2600k OC" you will get something. Else let someone with the i7 knowledge reply to your post.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Your temps and voltage seem about right for 4.8 compared to other users. Personally I'd back off to 4.5GHz. 80C is pushing it, and so is 1.4+ for 24/7 use. Stressing your hardware like that just isn't worth the extremely minute performance gain (feel free to chime in, Word Not Allowed He%20He.gif ). Your CPU isn't going to make 5.0 without causing smoke, if that's what you're ultimately shooting for.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Your temps and voltage seem about right for 4.8 compared to other users. Personally I'd back off to 4.5GHz. 80C is pushing it, and so is 1.4+ for 24/7 use. Stressing your hardware like that just isn't worth the extremely minute performance gain (feel free to chime in, Word Not Allowed He%20He.gif ). Your CPU isn't going to make 5.0 without causing smoke, if that's what you're ultimately shooting for.
I pulled it back to 4.7Ghz now at 1.375v and I have a feeling that I can lower that vcore a little bit more, temps lower than never beyond 79 at the hottest core and mostly below 76c. I always had 4.8ghz as my goal but 4.7 isn't too bad :) Just a question, if I disabled HT how much vcore could I lose on a 4.8ghz OC?

I wouldn't worry too much if core temps reach 80C while stress testing. Be sure to use prime95 as linpack doesn't quite cut it for sandy bridge. 80C is less than ideal, but realistically you will never see that while running real world applications anyway. My system also touches 80C while stress testing, but I never see more than 70C while playing FSX. I certainly wouldn't want to exceed 75C during normal use. As for voltage - everyone has their limit. Mine is 1.40v and I'm currently running 4.8GHz at exactly that.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

I pulled it back to 4.7Ghz now at 1.375v and I have a feeling that I can lower that vcore a little bit more, temps lower than never beyond 79 at the hottest core and mostly below 76c. I always had 4.8ghz as my goal but 4.7 isn't too bad :) Just a question, if I disabled HT how much vcore could I lose on a 4.8ghz OC?
You'll notice a nice change in heat. Try it, I personally think HT should be off at those clocks anyway.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Yeah, I might try disabling HT. I've run Real temp in the background while playing FSX and another game that can be quite stressing on CPU when you unlock the fps (Global Agenda) and temps never go above 65, Prime95 also doesn't give me as high temps as the damned IBT :P Anyway HT on or off how much will a 4.7-4.8/4.9Ghz scale in fps?