Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

Impossible approach

I just had a bad experience with RC. I was flying from Calgary to Toronto. Here's the flight plan: CYYC to CYYZ@37000 (Alt1- , Alt2-) / YYC.HUSAR.YEA.VLN.VLR.VBI.YQT.SSM.APNEL.YVV.KICKS. *RVSM I requested and was given a cruising altitude of FL280. Departure told me to expect ILS for runway 15L. Told me to decend to 2900ft to capture the LOC/GS. However, RC did not give me enough time at all to get to the required altitude. By the time I got to the required altitude I was almost over the runway and going way too fast. I'm flying the 737NGX by the way. I chose "jet" in the options menu. Any idea folks? Thanks.

You may have been too fast during descent. Was it a straight-in approach or far-side. It's essential you keep your speed down on straight-in approaches. No higher than 210kts should be okay. For a far-side approach 230kts max on downwind, 190kts on base reducing to 160kts on final.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

i'd have to see a log, maybe a picture of your approach. what's your speed? was this a full pattern approach - downwind, base, intercept, final? or were you immediately turned to intercept? jd

Thanks for the responses. Actually, I think I may have been the problem as opposed to Radar Contact, but I'll know for sure when I re-fly the flight this morning. Sorry for jumping to conclusions. It was a straight-in ILS approach. I was cruising at 310kts, and started my descent at that speed. What I usually do is slow down to 200 kts once I reach my intercept altitude. What I should be doing is slowing down to 200 kts before I start my descent, the approach would have likely to have been correct. I'll try again and let you folks know.

Slowing down to 200 knots upon reaching the intercept altitude may be too late. Upon entering a 30 mile radius of the airport you should be at about 200 for a straight in or about 230 for a downwind. Even if you do not place the terminal procedure (STAR) into the FMC because you are taking vectors, as soon as RC assigns the runway enter the ILS approach for the runway (on the DEP/ARR page) to give you a situational aware guidance on your LEGS page and displayed on the ND. This will give you the estimated profile speeds needed to accomplish the merge and landing. Follow the flaps schedule for the aircraft. This helps even on downwind or base entry because as soon as you get your final intercept vector you'll see your distance to the intercept and control speed with power and laps as necessary. Some pilots put a set of range rings on their NAV display at 40 nm out and 30 nm out to gauge the crossing restriction position and speed restriction positions. On the 737NG Smith's FMC here's how you do that: In the scratchpad key in the ICAO code for the destination. On the FIX page LSK that as the FIX ident. In the scratchpad put /40 in and then LSK that into the bearing/distance line and exe that. That provides the ring for the crossing restriction. You can thend watch the descent arcs on the ND insuring you meet that altitude restriction. If you repeat that but using /30 that will give you the range of the destination traffic area where speed restrictions come into play.

Thanks Ron, I re-did the flight following your advice and had no problems making the approach. It was a 'user' problem as opposed to a software one. :-)