The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!
Simulation's Premier Resource!
AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!
- Airline2Sim Q400 Training half price weekend....
- 25 Percent off at FS2Crew. Coupon Code: SCHOOL2014
- LatinVFR San Juan 20% Off @ Simmarket
- Skyhighsim - 50% price reduction
- Razbam Super Sale! Harrier and Metroliner for $20
- Wing Commander 3 Free until 2 September
- Quality Wings 757 Discounted
- Qualitywings BAe 146 permanent discount
- A2A Sale 25% Off For Duration Of Oshkosh Airshow
- Fswidgets 10 Year Anniversary Sale - 50% Off
- FSX PC For Sale (United Kingdom)
- KingWin Lazer Power Supply 1000 Watts with Universal Modular Connectors/3 Way LED Switch/80 Plus Bronze ATX
- 737 Yoke from Ace for sale
- MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr 2Gb
- ASUS Rampage III Formula
- Attn New or Budget Constrained Simmers
- For Sale: Corsair Force GT 240 GB SATA III/6G SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive - CSSD-F240GBGT-BK
- Looking for Saitek Pro Flight throttle spare black knob
- Parts for Free -- CH PRO Pedals - USB
- Boeing 737-800 Overhead panel for SALE!
. . .
P3D and FSX - Porting Addons
Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:11 AM
System Specs: I7 990X Processor - Prolimatech Meghalem Heatsink with 2 Thermalright Fans - Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard - 2 EVGA Signature GeForce GTX690 Video Boards - 6 Gig Corsair DDR3 Memory 2000MHz (7-8-7-20) - 2 Intel Solid State Drives (40GB Windows 7 64 bit OS & 160GB P3D) - 2 10,000 RPM SATA Hard Drives - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS - 1 Plextor Blueray Disc (PX310SA) - 1 Plextor DVD/DL Disc (PX-806SA) - Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250 Watt Power Supply - Antec 1200 Case - 3 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors (5760x1200x32)
Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:48 AM
Alan Bradbury - firstname.lastname@example.org
Run! Get to da choppaaa!
Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:50 AM
Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:07 PM
Most of addons will allow you to install into P3D directory as if it was FSX directory. You can even copy/rename prepar3d.exe to fsx.exe to fool some addon setups.The downside is:Scenery.cfg is not being updated, since the installers point to the wrong path - I was thinking of making shortcuts named as folders and files yet, but didn't get to testing that yet.So you gotta do that manually.UTX for instance will update nicely, but still scenery.cfg parts need to be copied and sorted from fsx scenery.cfg.It's quite a tedious work if you have many addons to install.From what I hear FSDT is not working, and P3D has a problem still with EZCA, FSUIPC and FSForce.But the problem relies on Simeconnect and not those addons directly - there are already updates for EZCA and FSUIPC, not yet FSForce.Also there is a problem with hardware, especially if you have throttle quadrants that are of the same manufacturer and model, for instance two Saitek TQs, then you can't assign them separately in P3D - since they are being recognized as one. Only way is via FSUIPC... even deassigning of controls has to go over FSX (copying of Standard.xml p3d-fsx-p3d).And seems like some sceneries that were made for FSX, perform worse in P3D. I haven't tested much yet, but I confirmed it for myself for some addons.All in all, P3D has a really good prospect, and I believe it addon makers jump ship and make optimized sceneries for P3D, we might fairly soon see some real advancements.Up until then, it's just a play around sim, beside a serious simming in FSX.
Hi Everyone, I just finished downloading P3D (10 hour download - WoW) and I have a question. I plan on wiping out my SSD and placing P3D on that drive and FSX on my 10,000rpm drive, do I have to install FSX and all my addons in order to port them over to P3D?. I know there are a few addons that will install directly into P3D, but is that because FSX is in the system registry? Thanks
Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:15 AM
1) problem with double hardware of the same type2) crash when exiting when using FSUIPC and similar addons3) very complicated (though possible) to install scenery (that is for FSX), even if you point into the folder - need to edit scenery.cfg or add manually in P3D4) not really very high performance boost in some situations, especially when using addons like NGX, LDS 767... we are talking 10% or less here, 20% is a dream-boost in some situationsThe only reason I would like P3D is for it's new shaders and really really better looking water and darker toned scenery.I'm on FSX for now, tweaked it and since the g3d.dll fix, I'm a happy camper.
Kosta, thanks for the information. Just curious, why don't you use P3D any longer? I haven't yet started and am looking for opinions - thanks!