Sign in to follow this  
FloB

Oktober News

I thought that way some months ago and hoped for "Flight" being kind of a upgraded "core" product, a "rock-solid" and technically up-to-date flightsim + SDK and then leave everything else to 3rdPDs... But then some prominent 3rdPDs got angry about flight (at least that is what I understood)...and none of them is supporting Flight right now. So not very likely that Flight is going to be 3rdPDs heaven like FSX is, right?

I've yet to see anyone identify these "3rdPDs". When that occurs we can properly analyze whatever comments they may make. I have seen some postings by so-called developers, who have just signed up with some anonymous name. Wow, that doesn't register on my credibility meter at all. I have no reason to believe there will not be a SDK. It's the flawed logic that permeates the speculative threads that amazes me. Such as, we've only seen pictures of Hawaii. So Flight will only sell with Hawaii and everything else will be a payware addon. Now if they post pictures of Hawaii and New York City I can then reason, using the prevailing thought process, that Flight will ONLY include Hawaii and New York City. Show pictures of Hawaii, New York City and Tokyo and the logic should be that Flight only includes Hawaii, NYC and Tokyo, with everything else an addon available only from the M$ store. The M$ used to illustrate the conviction of the thoughts. So until Microsoft shows pictures of all 24,000 airports and every plane and every scenery object I'm going to believe it's a failure not deserving of any attention. Of course I will be at the nearest Best Buy trying to buy a copy as soon as it's released... Hug.gif

Flight does seem like it is going to have a fait like the Microsoft Kin Phone. With what you 2 guys are saying if there are no third party developers like PMDG and Carenado then Flight is going to loose so much money that it wont even be funny

I have no reason to believe there will not be a SDK.
Nor do I! As it happens, about six months ago MS Game Studio had a job listing for someone to "own the SDK" for Flight. Now why on earth would they hire someone to take charge of SDK development for Flight unless they are planning to release it? From this I can with some high degree of confidence conclude that there will be an SDK for Flight. What none of us can possibily know is whether it will be "freely available" as it has been in the past, or whether it will be access restricted and available only to properly vetted third-party developers.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Flight does seem like it is going to have a fait like the Microsoft Kin Phone. With what you 2 guys are saying if there are no third party developers like PMDG and Carenado then Flight is going to loose so much money that it wont even be funny
It will only lose hardcore fans, which I don't think accounts for the majority buyers of Flight by any stretch of the imagination. Right now, I really couldn't care less whether Flight actually happens in the format we would want it to or not. If it does, wonderful. If not, it's no longer the end of the road.

It will only lose hardcore fans, which I don't think accounts for the majority buyers of Flight by any stretch of the imagination. Right now, I really couldn't care less whether Flight actually happens in the format we would want it to or not. If it does, wonderful. If not, it's no longer the end of the road.
True, That's why we go and fly for real! ;) But right now the majority of people who would purchase flight are the hard core flyers. Most people here in Canada just sit down and play COD all day on there Xbox. The Flight simulation community is already small and i'd say almost all of it are people who fly hard core so when they are older they have some knowledge to become a pilot. I'm not saying flight simulator is realistic and perfect. I'm just saying that the people who use flight sim are mostly people who want to become pilots and use it to train themselves. There aren't a lot of people who just play it like a game

I've yet to see anyone identify these "3rdPDs". When that occurs we can properly analyze whatever comments they may make.
You're right on the money. What developers?Because that's not the impression I'm getting from developers.But it’s a message that won’t stop bouncing around this echo chamber ;)

Nor do I! As it happens, about six months ago MS Game Studio had a job listing for someone to "own the SDK" for Flight. Now why on earth would they hire someone to take charge of SDK development for Flight unless they are planning to release it? From this I can with some high degree of confidence conclude that there will be an SDK for Flight. What none of us can possibily know is whether it will be "freely available" as it has been in the past, or whether it will be access restricted and available only to properly vetted third-party developers.
The sting is in the tail. As I recall that advertisement used the words "select" and "partners" in relation to the SDK.

Very true, I was going to bring that up myself. I remember posting (it was at one of the other sites) that MS had a job up looking for someone to do the SDK. I've been a long supporter (and provider) of FS freeware, and I hope that it continues to be available.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Not "select", just "...our internal developers, and our external development partners." Maybe anyone clicking on 'do you accept the license agreement’ prior to installing the SDK can become a partner. I get your point though on the possibilities. However, I wouldn’t have expected them to describe in detail who will have access to the SDK in a job posting.

The only change that I see with Flight is that MS is trying a new tack with 3PDs and the community during early development of the product. I would suggest that during the development of FSX there were too many distractions on too many forums with too many cooks trying to hammer out what FSX should be. The end result was somewhat flawed even if it was a good seller. Perhaps Flight is going to be what FSX should have been - a product of the vision of a smaller team, without the distractions of everyone trying to push for features that cost more than they are worth. An SDK is a necessary part of MS's internal development as this is what they use to build their planes and scenery. How much of this SDK will be released and to whom remains a question, but I do not see a down side to have many people involved with the product far beyond its release date. Perhaps even until the release date of the next version. An SDK that is available to everyone can assure this, while keeping it to themselves assures that people stay with FSX or move on to other games. It seems to me that the release of Flight has been delayed from what was envisioned and having 3PDs involved at this time is just not practical. The job description seemed to indicate that the SDK would be evaluated by select 3PDs, presumable to provide input as to the SDKs completeness and usefulness. I understand that certain 3PDs are miffed because they are not in the loop this time, but that's no reason to think that MS is actively trying to disappoint the core supporters of their product.

An SDK is a necessary part of MS's internal development as this is what they use to build their planes and scenery.
Very few if any of the default FSX aircraft stuck even remotely to the SDK provided by ACES.

Cheers, Andy.

Can't understand the enthusiasm for the Flight screenshots as they are no better than what is currently on offer from Orbx. So far have seen nothing in Flight that appeals over FSX when enhanced with the likes of Orbx, PMDG etc etc. Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Can't understand the enthusiasm for the Flight screenshots as they are no better than what is currently on offer from Orbx. So far have seen nothing in Flight that appeals over FSX when enhanced with the likes of Orbx, PMDG etc etc. Bruce
Had no idea that Orbx and PMDG offered brand new/overhauled versions of the FSX engine and new shaders. Orbx might look about as good as Flight, but you don't get a brand new sim with new everything, rather than one updated location with painted on shadows. Guess I say this because I just got done with the comparison screenshots between FSX and Flight.dance.gif

Brandon Filer

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.