Sign in to follow this  
ViperXBR

Saitek Trim wheel and the NGX?

Hi,Has anybody have a experiance with saitek swich panel ? will it work with PMDG NG ?ThanksCan Hürel
I use the radio panel (not the switch panel) and it works fine with the NGX.since both panel working under the same concept I would assume the switch panel would work also.
Anyway, much as I hate to take up their time I have raised a Ticket with PMDG support.Regards,Gareth
Hi Gareth, any news on the Support ticket you raised with the Product Support team?I am waiting to hear if there is a solution before I go ahead and buy the Trim wheel.

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Hi Joel,Remiss of me. I nailed the problem and here's the brief explanation I sent Paul at PMDG support. Hope it makes senseFor me, the problem was about joystick calibration.The tell-tale symptoms were:A/c moved forward briskly while in slew mode.NGX trim would occasionally perform an involuntary wind-up to full Nose Up position the moment I touched the trim wheel.I noted that my default trim setting in the NGX was almost fully Nose Down.I now understand why I could occasionally get ¼ to ½ turn of trim wheel in Nose Down direction. It had reached its full extremity of adjustment!I now recognise that my Saitek Av8r joystick has had a problem holding calibration over recent months and is now up for replacement.Even so, once re-calibrated, the control surfaces loaded in neutral position and, at last, stab. trim control was possible DOWN as well as UP - from the joystick and key assignments.I now realise there is very little Nose Down trim adjustment available anyway in the NGX by default (i.e. from the green band) as compared to Up trim. The reference marks on the trim wheel unit confirm this. Sometimes the obvious takes longer to suss. So, it’s nothing to do with Startup programmes, Services, NGX nor FSX, after all. Well, for me at least.I sincerely hope this helps and that calibration might be all or part of your own issues.Best,Gareth Wilkinson

Hi,Has anybody have a experiance with saitek swich panel ? will it work with PMDG NG ?ThanksCan Hürel
Hi, I have all the Saitek panels plus the X65F dual throttle & pressure sensitive joystick, please to say that on the multi panel the pitch trim wheel works perfectly as well as the flaps lever although not the auto pilot controls (no big deal I prefer to do that side within the NGX)Also my switch panel gear lever is now working after the latest SP plus a couple of the light switches.My Saitek radio panel works perfectly alsoJust tested the Westjet 600NGX out of Orbx Kelowna with real weather and the muli panel trim wheel worked great allowing me to trim her out in the "chop"X65F took some time to get used to after my X52 but now I love it...it complements my NGX setup perfectlyJust love the NGX600, great job PMDGRegards, Shaun

Rgds, Shaun

Hi Joel,Remiss of me. I nailed the problem and here's the brief explanation I sent Paul at PMDG support. Hope it makes senseFor me, the problem was about joystick calibration.The tell-tale symptoms were:A/c moved forward briskly while in slew mode.NGX trim would occasionally perform an involuntary wind-up to full Nose Up position the moment I touched the trim wheel.I noted that my default trim setting in the NGX was almost fully Nose Down.I now understand why I could occasionally get ¼ to ½ turn of trim wheel in Nose Down direction. It had reached its full extremity of adjustment!I now recognise that my Saitek Av8r joystick has had a problem holding calibration over recent months and is now up for replacement.Even so, once re-calibrated, the control surfaces loaded in neutral position and, at last, stab. trim control was possible DOWN as well as UP - from the joystick and key assignments.I now realise there is very little Nose Down trim adjustment available anyway in the NGX by default (i.e. from the green band) as compared to Up trim. The reference marks on the trim wheel unit confirm this. Sometimes the obvious takes longer to suss. So, it’s nothing to do with Startup programmes, Services, NGX nor FSX, after all. Well, for me at least.I sincerely hope this helps and that calibration might be all or part of your own issues.Best,Gareth Wilkinson
Wow , I totally lost track, to many phrases which I haven't got slightly idea what you talking about :).if I go out and buy the Trim wheel, what do I need to do in order for it to work well in NGX?Note: I don't use FSUIPC, just the FSX control settings (which works fine on my NGX with the Saitek yoke/rudder/radio panel I got).

Joel Strikovsky

Ok Joel,Sorry, I don't know the trim wheel you have in mind. All I can say is this - make sure it is calibrated properly in the set-up software that comes with the wheel. Same as with the joystick. My joystick was calibrated so badly the elevator trim was so far out of adjustment it was useless. My problem was nothing to do with NGX. The problem is with the joystick. I can't see any problems if you set it up properly. I doubt they will have instructions in Hebrew, but you never know. Good luck. GarethSPAIN

guys, FSUIP doesn't supposed to be working with NGX as for binding controls.PMDG stated this number of times.you need to look for other means of binding, e.g. via Saitek profiler of directly with FSX settings.
That may be, but it works fine, otherwise. I have just about every control necessary (and some not necessary) mapped in FSUIPC.I have a CH Eclipse Pro yoke and the trim wheel does the same thing.

Ok Joel,Sorry, I don't know the trim wheel you have in mind. All I can say is this - make sure it is calibrated properly in the set-up software that comes with the wheel. Same as with the joystick. My joystick was calibrated so badly the elevator trim was so far out of adjustment it was useless. My problem was nothing to do with NGX. The problem is with the joystick. I can't see any problems if you set it up properly. I doubt they will have instructions in Hebrew, but you never know. Good luck.GarethSPAIN
"Saitek Trim wheel" (the Cessna stand alone version) i had in mind.thanks man for the explanation.

Joel Strikovsky

guys, FSUIP doesn't supposed to be working with NGX as for binding controls.PMDG stated this number of times.you need to look for other means of binding, e.g. via Saitek profiler of directly with FSX settings.
I use FSUIPC to bind up and down of an axis lever for the landing gear, also for button presses for heading and speed rotary knobs and works fine for me, only issue is if you get the dreaded NGX dll crash on loading and have to disconnect the controller until the flight has loaded then reconnecting it wont invoke any assigned FSUIPC settingsGuys excuse my naivety but does the pilot actually touch the trim wheel beside the throttle quadrant? I'm sure in the past I heard some pilot comment once that it would take the fingers off you as it spins so fast if the autothrottle is engaged?I thought it was set in the CDU and can be controlled manually via an up/down thumb switch on the yoke? I have a switch on my Saitek yoke and I use my left thumb to adjust if hand flying, the right hand is then free to control the throttles. I appreciate in General Aviation the trim wheel is manually rotated but didnt in commercial airliners

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

well it is unsupported , that doesn't necessary means doesn't work, but if it doesn't work, you shouldn't expect it to work.that is what the Disclaimer means.

Joel Strikovsky