Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

2D cockpit - outside view is now too low...

As was noted in the release announcment, the 2D cockpit view was lowered to provide better outside view while on approach. I have SP1 and 600-700 add-on. I have a 25" widescreen monitor running at 1920x1080. WideViewAspect is set to "TRUE". I'm using the widescreen panel, and not the 4:3 view. I normally zoom out to 40% for the outside view, which usually works good.When using the NGX 2D instrument panel, the over-the-nose view is pretty good. However, it now appears to be set too low. If the outviews are cycled using the "W" key, the outside view using the HUD shows that the HUD horizon is now well below the actual horizon (see screen capture):Using the "Ctrl-Shift-Q" key, I raised the outside view to position the HUD horizon line properly on the actual horizon:Here's the view over the instrument panel:It appears that the new setting used after SP1 is now too low. I followed the instructions in the read-me file (see below). Are there other instructions to address this issue?Is there something that I can set in a panel.cfg, fsx.cfg, or in the cameras.cfg file that will allow me to put the HUD horizon on actual horizon and keep it there? Before the SP1 change, I used the Ctrl-Q and Ctrl-Shift-Q command (mapped to yoke switches) to change the ouside view to center the HUD horizon on the actual horizon. This allowed for a normal outside view on approach using either a 40% or 50% zoom. However, everytime I changed views (e.g. looked left or right), the view defaults back to the preset view. Before SP1, that default view was too high. Now with SP1, the defalut view is too low.As a long term fix, would it be possible for PMDG to re-visit the outside view for SP2 to set the 2D panel view so that the HUD horizon is set to the actual horizon when cycling the "W' key?Thanks,Rich BollWichita, KS.read.me instructions:Failure to use the correct fsx.cfg WideViewAspect setting can result in strange views that don't match what we designed:-For widescreen 2D panel use, you must have WideViewAspect set to TRUE in your FSX.cfg [Display] section.-For 4:3 2D panel use, you must have WideViewAspect set to FALSE in your FSX.cfg [Display] section.The FSX.cfg file is located at:Windows Vista/7:C:\Users\(Your Windows User Name)AppData\Roaming\Microsof\FSXWindows XP:C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Windows User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSXYou may need to change two Windows settings to be able to see these locations and the file - set "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" in the Windows folder options in the Control Panel.-PMDG

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Yes, in my case - 1 gives the best result. TV42'' 1920x1080.Exact location: Your FSX folder>SimObjects>Airplanes>PMDG737-800NGX>panel.cfg

Or you can use Ctrl+Shift+Q do move your eyepoint higher and Ctrl+Q to move your eyepoint lower.Adenilson

and what is the value which fits the best?? I mean the value when the horizon on pfd equals to the outside horizon?? thx in advance

Thanks everyone!I'll tinker with this later today (day job stuff right now... Yawn.gif )Thanks again for your advice!Rich

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

After test flying the 2D panel view settings,here's what I came up with:[VIEWS]VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=MAIN_PANEL,MINIPANELVIEW_FORWARD_DIR=1.800, 0.000, 0.000VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM=0.8Interesting though, the VC cockpit HUD was always about a 1/2" above the horizon when flying (low altitude 3000' AGL). That doesn't seem correct, is it? I haven't flown a HUD, but I was under the impression that the horizon line should be located on the same line as the infinite horizon?Thanks,Rich

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

I agree with you !It is set much too high now and not very realistic.Just edit the VIEWS entry in your Panel.cfg file.At the moment this is what you will see ![VIEWS]VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=MAIN_PANEL,MINIPANELVIEW_FORWARD_DIR=10.000, 0.000, 0.000VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM=0.8Just change the 10 to 9 or 8 or 7 or 6 etc......... until you find the one that solves your problem.A lot of folks seem to be using 3, 4 or 5.
Can you please tell me how I can find the Panel.cfg file (is it part of my FSX.cfg ??)

I have used these views in buttons and keys menu and assigned a single key to them "View (always pan down)" and "View (always pan up) to alter my views - I have removed most key options in FSX and put my own buttons to them.Everyone to their own.dmb Hypnotized.gif

Old values, checked in a backup taked before Sp1, were[VIEWS] VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=MAIN_PANEL,MINIPANEL VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=0.000, 0.000, 0.000I restored old value and it seems ok to me.Maybe other values you suggested (like 1.8) are better, I'll give a try next days.

2.5 or 3.0 looks good on my end.
I set it to 4, much better. I may try 3 tomorrow.

Hope there is a hotfix for this as if you change views it reverts back to the low down view again. Bit annoying was good before the SP1

I agree with you !It is set much too high now and not very realistic.Just edit the VIEWS entry in your Panel.cfg file.At the moment this is what you will see ![VIEWS]VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=MAIN_PANEL,MINIPANELVIEW_FORWARD_DIR=10.000, 0.000, 0.000VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM=0.8Just change the 10 to 9 or 8 or 7 or 6 etc......... until you find the one that solves your problem.A lot of folks seem to be using 3, 4 or 5.
I changed it as you described (to 4) and its much better, thank you.John S
no, it is in FSXfolder/simObject/Airplanes/PMDG 737-800NGX/panel
I appreciate your help, thank you !!John S

2D panels are an inherently unrealistic way of viewing out the cockpit of an airliner - something is going to be misaligned no matter what we do. This is why the VC exists.It's not changing. Before SP1 we had loads of complaints that the view was angled too high and you couldn't see the runway while on approach. Now everyone's complaining about something else that fixing the first problem caused - you cannot have it both ways.Rich, no the real HUD's horizon line is not perfectly in line with the ground horizon - I don't have the technical explanation at the moment but it was verified by one of our tech team members in the real aircraft during development.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com