Sign in to follow this  
Eziocin

g3d.dll......help ..!

Im not the first one and probably will not be the last, but I am going crazy with the g3d.dll ctd. I have been flying with no issues since I built up the new pc (see specs in my signature below) but now I have come to a point where I get a ctd on almost every flight. The ctd seem not to be OOM related, and occur mainly flying in Europe (I have UTX EU + several Aerosoft airports), and only during approach, getting closer to an addon airport. It almost never happens while flying in US (despite I also there have UTX USA + many addon airport installed), which makes me think it might be some sort of conflict between UTX EU and addon airports. It is not aircraft related as it happens using different a/c.Even though I recognise that I use very complex addons aircraft, such as the PMDG 737NGX, and a very high level of FSX settings, my PC has demonstrated to be capable to deliver very good performance even under the heaviest loads, as it has actually been performing extremely well for some months, with the same addons/settings that I currently have. Now I am having this annoying and repeated issue and I would like to avoid making a complete reinstall of everything so I am looking for some troubleshooting clue.I have read all the several threads on the issue but quite frankly I am still confused about how to proceed to try and fix the issue (if the fix does exists...!).So far, I have tried to rebuild the fsx.cfg (which is also optimised as per Boyote's online tool), reduced the scenery settings, running the sim without overclocking, flying with default a/c, removing AI traffic, but without any improvement: whenever I am performing an approach and I am within 60-70 NM range from a a major airport, I have a ctd. It may be important to say that when the ctd occurs the resources of the pc are hogged (I am having around 70% processor usage, and something similar for the GPU, with a GPU maximum memory use of 800 Mb, which for a GTX570 is not an extreme condition).If someone could give some good suggestion I would be quite happy..! I am not including in this post all my fsx.cfg and fsx settings to avoid making this post extremely long, but I would be more than happy to provide further details about my settings, even by e-mail, to anybody who could volunteer to provide some support.Thank youRegardsSorry....the topic title is oviously g3d.dll...!!

Intel I9-9900KF @5Ghz, Asus RTX2080 Super, Asus Maximus XI Hero, G-Skill F4 3600C16-GTZ 32Gb

Turn EVERYTHING down, ie; Traffic, AG, ect and do the exact some flight and see if you get the crash and report back to me ok? I can solve it for you.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I only started getting these when flying the NGX (no other plane) and addon's such as ORBX or photo real scenery. Even with a modest setting such as LOD 4.5 and AG at dense. I also would like to note that since I changed me CFG to TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 (a requirement of NGX) that this problem started to happen.I have to test if the lower quality textures in the new SP1 NGX will help solve this issue for me.I understand that this error happens when you go beyond the 4GB of VAS. I will watch this post with interest as I too have had many of these errors of late....

No, the error also occurs when you stay below 4GB of VAS. I've been trying to deal with the problem, a specialty of some sceneries and ORBX. But haven't been able to detect where to problem lies...I have a test situation which will crash every single time if I load and fly, and I've been doing many tests here, but I am totally puzzled of why it is happening when the VAS is not maxed out.

I also would like to note that since I changed me CFG to TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 (a requirement of NGX) that this problem started to happen.
Its not really a "requirement" to have it set to 4096. I run it all the time at 1024 and the difference is not really even noticable, unlesss of course you nit pick looking for a difference. Its about the same as running 4096 clouds but leaving FSX set to 1024. Try running 1024 in the fsx.cfg and see how you get on.Im starting to think that all this 4096 stuff that FSX was designed for by default is the cause of a lot of peoples problems, especially when running extended LOD values which arent by default either. Even with the latest rigs doing things FSX wasnt designed to do at some point will bit you, at least thats how I fell. I keep default values and never have any isses at all. Maybe one extra tweek is fine but the cumulative effect of many sometimes takes it too far.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It still isn't an explanation why it crashes before VAS reaches its full potential. Because, in the end, that is the problem.I am already suspecting win7 and newer drivers, because I checked everything else.Now doing a windows test-install, without any updates to see how it performs. Also oldest possible drivers for 580.It's only a simple test, without connection to the internet or additional programs! I will push the lod so much that it reaches vas 3,5gb, and then load my scenery that crashes with g3d.dll.

It still isn't an explanation why it crashes before VAS reaches its full potential. Because, in the end, that is the problem.I am already suspecting win7 and newer drivers, because I checked everything else.Now doing a windows test-install, without any updates to see how it performs. Also oldest possible drivers for 580.It's only a simple test, without connection to the internet or additional programs! I will push the lod so much that it reaches vas 3,5gb, and then load my scenery that crashes with g3d.dll.
Interesting thoughts Word Not Allowed. I would like to add this to the mix (and it may have nothing to do with this issue but worth a shot).Back when AES was an FS9 only addon users that had the FS9.exe flagged as Large Address Aware would get these issues (gd3d.dll errors). Only when we would arrive at an airport and and AES would start to load (always at 6nm out as Oliver set it that way). Oliver said it was a driver issue with the ViMacore.dll, maybe it is the same issue here, a driver trying to load something beyond the 4GB range or 2GB is it is a 32bit driver?LINK to thread on Aerosoft AES forum:http://forum.aerosof...__fromsearch__1

Guest firehawk44

I got the error last night for the first time in at least a couple of years. It was clearly my fault. I put too many resources on the game by my fumbling with the external views buttons. I like going back and forth in views and usually hit the shift-S key or S key, then the shift-A or A keys, etc. I was arriving in Seattle from Boise with PNW scenery installed and Active Sky Evolution running and I was flying the PMDG 737-800. The skies looked nasty with huge clouds. I have my textures set to 4096 too. But instead of hitting the S or Shift S keys, I started hitting the Ctrl S and Ctrl A keys rapidly (like I said I was fumbling) as I was descending to KPAE to turn for landing at KSEA. Suddenly the screen froze and I knew exactly what happened. I put too many resources on the situation at one time. I am certain that I could complete this same flight again without incident and without changing any of my settings. I just need to stay in the cockpit and stop creating additional issues with the sim during landings. This is when there are intense actions taking place with the FMC trying to compute the landing, AES trying to download the latest weather and AES or FSX trying to render it, and the system trying to render the PNW scenery below. I just think I got the G3D.dll was at fault because it was being called at the time of the crash. It could have been the NTDLL.dll too. IMHO, it is definitely a resource management issue as it doesn't happen to everyone and never all the time.Best regards,Jim

Interesting thoughts Word Not Allowed. I would like to add this to the mix (and it may have nothing to do with this issue but worth a shot).Back when AES was an FS9 only addon users that had the FS9.exe flagged as Large Address Aware would get these issues (gd3d.dll errors). Only when we would arrive at an airport and and AES would start to load (always at 6nm out as Oliver set it that way). Oliver said it was a driver issue with the ViMacore.dll, maybe it is the same issue here, a driver trying to load something beyond the 4GB range or 2GB is it is a 32bit driver?LINK to thread on Aerosoft AES forum:http://forum.aerosof...__fromsearch__1
My theory falls into water, unfortunately. Or luckily.But going to take a look at your thingy...EDIT: No, it's not AES and not ViMaCore-thingy.

Well....in my situations, if I fly the same route again I have a CTD about at the same time and position I had the previous time....regardless how intense is the CPU load .....my suspect is it has to be some sort of conflict between default and addon sceneries....I don't know...it is very puzzling.....If it was only a resources issue it should be the same in every "intense CPU load situation".....but I have various FSDeamTeam US Airports which are quite heavy on CPU as well, together with UTX USA, not to mention ORBX Australian sceneries, but I have almost zero CTD flying in USA or Australia..... maybe some FPS drop while landing in KLAX or YMML, but definitely NO CTD....Again, the majority of my CTDs occur while getting closer to Aerosoft European Airports...and also, as I wrote in my first post, the situation has not always been like this...things have got worse starting from a certain moment on....but I can't associate this change with any particular action on the system....The mistery is still unsolved.....

Intel I9-9900KF @5Ghz, Asus RTX2080 Super, Asus Maximus XI Hero, G-Skill F4 3600C16-GTZ 32Gb

Guest jahman

Duplicate airports used to cause a CTD...Cheers,- jahman.

Not a problem with that here. I tested very clean configurations. It's very interesting how much VAS grows with different settings, and it doesn't wonder me that with different addons, add to that NGX, with 5.5 or 6.5 it crashes.The thing is, back in FS9, we even had blurrier images closer to the aircraft, and we didn't complain! Now come FSX, and look what we are doing! And then complaining it crashes, LOL.

Guest jahman
Not a problem with that here. I tested very clean configurations. It's very interesting how much VAS grows with different settings, and it doesn't wonder me that with different addons, add to that NGX, with 5.5 or 6.5 it crashes.The thing is, back in FS9, we even had blurrier images closer to the aircraft, and we didn't complain! Now come FSX, and look what we are doing! And then complaining it crashes, LOL.
We complain because FSX very well could reduce LOD if VAS is running out instead of just CTDing. Not so hard to program really.Cheers,- jahman.

Word Not Allowed, sorry if I was not very clear there. The issue with the AES and vimascn.dll was fixed a while back (had to be to get it to work in FSX as the SP for FSX flagged the FSX.EXE LAA by default).What I meant was that some other addon's .dll may be suffering from the same problems vimascn.dll was (example NGX, ASA, REX or so on). Not saying this is a fact but might be the culprit.I set my TML to 2048, LOD 4.5, AG to Dense, and lowered the textures in the NGX V/C and model (left the dispalys at high). Also, REX textures are not set to HD.Did a flight using ORBX OZX with their addon airports YSCB to YSTW. 12DME from YSTW I get a crash with the g3d.dll error.(I am using the 280.26 drivers)

Word Not Allowed, sorry if I was not very clear there. The issue with the AES and vimascn.dll was fixed a while back (had to be to get it to work in FSX as the SP for FSX flagged the FSX.EXE LAA by default).What I meant was that some other addon's .dll may be suffering from the same problems vimascn.dll was (example NGX, ASA, REX or so on). Not saying this is a fact but might be the culprit.I set my TML to 2048, LOD 4.5, AG to Dense, and lowered the textures in the NGX V/C and model (left the dispalys at high). Also, REX textures are not set to HD.Did a flight using ORBX OZX with their addon airports YSCB to YSTW. 12DME from YSTW I get a crash with the g3d.dll error.(I am using the 280.26 drivers)
I've found out there is not a problem with the VAS directly, it is not solved through the driver and it's not a windows fault. I think I can now conclude it's purely FSX and it has never been working as it should, maybe I had wrong memories.So, that out of the way:Are you using FTX NRM and PNW?It *cloud* be the other addon, but I don't think it is.Lemme put it this way:If I load my loaded FSX, I set LOD_RADIUS so high that with a loaded flight before AS EDDF I have VAS around 3.5GB (that usually is about LOD_RADIUS=10.5 or 11.5), it will crash with g3d.dll. This is with a default aircraft. I must lower the LOD_RADIUS so much that VAS displays around 3.2GB max, then it will load EDDF normally.If I load my test FSX, which has no addons, completely clean configuration and only EDDF installed, I can go as high as 3.6GB, meaning about LOD_RADIUS=16.5, and it will not crash with g3d.dll. Only if I go close to 3.7 or 3.8, then it will crash on the same spot.This behaviour is the *same* on both windows, clean and current.I could go search for what causes it, that VAS crashes at 3.2 and on another 3.7, do I want to?This is one and the same loaded flight with the default CRJ, so the test conditions are the same. And each test is repeated 3 times. Flight is about 1 minute.So basically it seems that having other addons like UTX, REX, GEX, maximizes the probabiliy of g3d.dll, and it is an engine thing. Poorely coded as Jahman said.Man, I tell you, this is like looking for a needle in a haystack... *sigh*