Sign in to follow this  
boeing247

LOD Radius

I have LOD Radius set to 8.5, TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD set to 1024, TextureMaxLoad set to 12, and good frame rates with FSBooster v2, yet this is what my terrain looks like:lodradius.jpgWhy is my LOD radius smaller than it should be? At 4.5, which is the max which can be reached on the slider, it is ridiculously small. It seems like a the displayed radius is about 2-3 less than the one I input.

Even if you set 8.5 the textures won't load unless you have the resources to render it... and looking at your sig, you don't.Have you tried locking your fps at say, 30, or 24, you'll probably notice a few more textures loading.Have you tried overclocking that processor? I'm not familiar with the 2400 but most i7's can be clocked a significant amount.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Go with LOD radius no more than 5.5. - and fps fixed within FSX at 30, as Ryan said.

Bert

Actually, I do have the resources to render it. This just started happening a few days ago. Everything was nice and crisp until then. I would lock the framerates, but with FSBooster, for whatever reason, setting it to unlimited works better. Should I set the FIBER_FRAME_FRACTION in the fsx.cfg?Additionally, my computer without a doubt has the capacity to maintain a 4.5 Lod, and yet when I tried that value, the radius became even smaller--there were very few crisp textures.

Ok you neglected to mention that part in the first post...Have you checked your global texture resolution to make sure its set to max? How bout your video card settings (catalyst driver settings), AF set to 16x (would make the most difference)?What cfg edits do you have? I'd save your current .cfg and delete it, let FSX create a new one, and then go from there.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yeah, sorry. I should have said it was fine before.I'll check the texture resolution, though I'm not sure how it could have gotten changed. Now, do you think it's safe to delete the fsx.cfg file even though I'm using FSBooster? Will that mess anything up?

Guest jahman

There's also a point where increasing LOD is meaningless because the detail of the objects to be rendered are smaller than the pixels on your screen, so they won't show anyway, and you end-up wasting CPU resources.Cheers,- jahman.

I've considered that, but that's definitely not the case here. I've tried other LODs and the problem still exists.

What on earth is 'FSBooster'?Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen............(and probably responsible for what you are seeing as I am sure it has applied some 'miracle tweak')

Remember whenever you change a slider within FSX, the LOD will revert to default (4.5) regardless of what you set it to before. So you will have to edit your setting after each scenery slider change.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Have you set anisotropic filter to 16x using a utility like nvidiainspector?`
I have an ATI card, but yes, I did set the anisotropic filter to 16x in Catalyst Control Center. However, filtering isn't the problem, as the autogen is very sparse at a distance.
What on earth is 'FSBooster'?Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen............(and probably responsible for what you are seeing as I am sure it has applied some 'miracle tweak')
All it does is apply a couple tweaks and gives you better control over FSX--like a liaison between you and the cfg file.
Remember whenever you change a slider within FSX, the LOD will revert to default (4.5) regardless of what you set it to before. So you will have to edit your setting after each scenery slider change.
Yes, but I never adjust the sliders.

having just looked at what FSBooster actually does (from the screenshots on your website) I am 100% convinced that this program has borked your FSX.cfg somewhere along the line.My advice to you is go to the FSX.cfg, delete it and let FSX rebuild a new one on startup. Set all your options within FSX and then see if your problem has gone.If they have gone, either be careful with what you select in 'FSBooster', or consign it to the trash and edit your .cfg manually for greater control and understanding over excatly what it is you are tweaking.I really dont understand why anyone would pay money for a UI interface to the fsx.cfg - Thats all it is! Its a freeware standard utility at most. I digress though.......

Yeah, sorry. I should have said it was fine before.I'll check the texture resolution, though I'm not sure how it could have gotten changed. Now, do you think it's safe to delete the fsx.cfg file even though I'm using FSBooster? Will that mess anything up?
Not any more than your cfg already is....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |