Sign in to follow this  
IFR7700

Adding Liveries Old School

I'm sure that I am overlooking an obvious answer, but I've searched and searched and RTFM, but no joy.The NGX was my first add-on so I'm used to liveries with a .ptp file and the livery manager. However, there are many great liveries available that do not have a .ptp file. Instead they have texture files, dds files etc. For example,LiveryFiles.jpgMy question is: How do install these types of liveries? Could you point me in the right direction for a tutorial? TIA

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Dennis,The repaint uploader really should make a ptp - it's extremely easy to do...What you want to do in this case is:1. Make a Texture folder (I'm assuming this an 800, the real life Salmon-Thirty-Salmon is a 400) within the PMDG 737-800NGX or PMDG 737-800NGX WL folder (whichever this is) and call it something like "Texture.ASSalmon - copy everything in your pic into it.2. Open the aircraft.cfg and scroll to the bottom of the [fltsim.x] entries that should be at the top of the file. You want to copy the last section and paste it below it, creating a new section - change the number to the next one in the sequence - so the last one was [fltsim.10] change the new one to [fltsim.11].Then, modify the entries so that it references the new livery and not the copied one - for this one I'd do something like this, assuming it's a non-WL 800: (fields in bold are the key ones you'll need to change vs. the copied entry)[fltsim.3]title=Boeing 737-890NGX Alaska Airlines (Salmon-Thirty-Salmon)sim=B737-800model=panel=sound=texture=ASSalmonkb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_airlines=ALASKAatc_id=N792ASatc_flight_number=7556atc_model=737-800atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMPatc_type=BOEINGui_createdby=PMDGui_manufacturer=Boeingui_type=737-800NGui_typerole=737-800ui_variation=Alaska Airlines (Salmon-Thirty-Salmon) Wingletsairline_name=Alaska Airlinesdescription=Boeing 737-800 powered by CFM engines v 1.0nPMDG Simulationsnwww.precisionmanuals.com nnProduced under license from Boeing Management Company.nnBoeing 737, 737-800, 737-900 & Boeing are among the trademarks owned by Boeing.visual_damage=03. Copy the N792AS.ini file to your FSXPMDGPMDG 737 NGXAircraft and the Backup folder within Aircraft.4. After you do all of this and it works to your liking, use the livery manager to export a ptp for it so you won't have to go through the manual install again in the future.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan,This is freakin' awesome, as the kids say.[fltsim.6] (The last airplane) happened to be the old Salmon. I wanted to overwrite the old files with Marcelo's updated livery, so the process was easy. Great step-by-step guide. I haven't seen this before. I'm going to put this in my flight following list.The only problem I had was the last step, but I accidently right clicked on the new Salmon livery in the Livery Manager and "VOILA". I'm now an expert on this subject. It's really great .... every time I do something like this I learn a lot about the interactions between FSX and all its parts.Thank you VERY much for this.DennisSalmon-Thirty-SalmonatKLAS.jpg

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

Ryan,This is freakin' awesome, as the kids say.[fltsim.6] (The last airplane) happened to be the old Salmon. I wanted to overwrite the old files with Marcelo's updated livery, so the process was easy. Great step-by-step guide. I haven't seen this before. I'm going to put this in my flight following list.The only problem I had was the last step, but I accidently right clicked on the new Salmon livery in the Livery Manager and "VOILA". I'm now an expert on this subject. It's really great .... every time I do something like this I learn a lot about the interactions between FSX and all its parts.Thank you VERY much for this.Dennis
Hi Denis!Sorry to intervene, all my Repaints are. Ptp and are available in www.avsim.net. it resolved, but it was not necessary if you came down from AVSIM wink.png

Brilliant post and reply RyanThat's the kind of post that makes Avsim (and this forum) what it isApplause.gifApplause.gifApplause.gif

Hi Denis!Sorry to intervene, all my Repaints are. Ptp and are available in www.avsim.net. it resolved, but it was not necessary if you came down from AVSIM wink.png
Marcelo,I just had this bundle of files in a folder (along with MANY others), and I used them as an example. I have Salmon Thirty Salmon archived, protected, and duplicated on my computer. It is my favorite livery. Your downloads are always perfect and I apologize for using your files as an example.There are MANY downloads that do not have PTP files, and I knew I would have to learn how to manually install them in order to check them out.Keep your great art coming, if you desire ... I certainly do appreciate it and I think there are MANY other people on this forum who also appreciate you sharing your great work.sincerely,D

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

Dennis,The repaint uploader really should make a ptp - it's extremely easy to do...What you want to do in this case is:1. Make a Texture folder (I'm assuming this an 800, the real life Salmon-Thirty-Salmon is a 400) within the PMDG 737-800NGX or PMDG 737-800NGX WL folder (whichever this is) and call it something like "Texture.ASSalmon - copy everything in your pic into it.2. Open the aircraft.cfg and scroll to the bottom of the [fltsim.x] entries that should be at the top of the file. You want to copy the last section and paste it below it, creating a new section - change the number to the next one in the sequence - so the last one was [fltsim.10] change the new one to [fltsim.11].Then, modify the entries so that it references the new livery and not the copied one - for this one I'd do something like this, assuming it's a non-WL 800: (fields in bold are the key ones you'll need to change vs. the copied entry)[fltsim.3]title=Boeing 737-890NGX Alaska Airlines (Salmon-Thirty-Salmon)sim=B737-800model=panel=sound=texture=ASSalmonkb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_airlines=ALASKAatc_id=N792ASatc_flight_number=7556atc_model=737-800atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMPatc_type=BOEINGui_createdby=PMDGui_manufacturer=Boeingui_type=737-800NGui_typerole=737-800ui_variation=Alaska Airlines (Salmon-Thirty-Salmon) Wingletsairline_name=Alaska Airlinesdescription=Boeing 737-800 powered by CFM engines v 1.0nPMDG Simulationsnwww.precisionmanuals.com nnProduced under license from Boeing Management Company.nnBoeing 737, 737-800, 737-900 & Boeing are among the trademarks owned by Boeing.visual_damage=03. Copy the N792AS.ini file to your FSXPMDGPMDG 737 NGXAircraft and the Backup folder within Aircraft.4. After you do all of this and it works to your liking, use the livery manager to export a ptp for it so you won't have to go through the manual install again in the future.
Done all of that with two Turkish Airlines liveries available on Avsim (the FC Barcelona 738WL and the 739WL), cliecked on "show all variations" inside FSX, but these liveries don't show. Exported the .ptp files as described above and reinstalled theses liveries using these .ptp files, but still no result.Anyone?Thanks,Ralf

Screeenshot of the respective folder PMDG 737-800NGX WL and PMDG 737-900NGX WL would help, as well as contains of aircraft.cfg down to [General]