Sign in to follow this  
phmcr

Review iFly737

Can´t believe this. Curtiss is not even taking a look at the virtual cockpit...How can a review be complete without taking the VC into account as well?Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

Nice review Roger,I bought the iFly 737NGX within minutes of its availability because I was tired of waiting on the PMDG version. I was frustrated the entire 6 or 8 weeks of flying it while still waiting for the PMDG version. It flew OK, but I was so disappointed that no one spent any time putting together a tutorial flight. They simply ported over the FS9 tutorial without even updaing some of the screenshots to the FSX version. It even had the incorrect dates on the cover. The moderators at the protected iFly support site initally promised a true non ported FSX version but as far as I can tell it still has not been made available to the FSX only users. It is on the free time, when we get around to it list.For that reason, and of course, the primary reason, i quit flying the iFly - The PMDG version was finally released. Wow, what a difference a few million additions bits make.Thanks for the review. I only fly VC and I only use FSX so it was like looking at a FS9 - 2d version for me.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

No complaints here, great bird, awesome support, all my hardware works, and it keeps getting better. No regrets.

ported over tutorial--deal breaker. LOL.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Especially since the main difference between the FS9 and FS10 versions of any significance is the addition of the VSD to the FS10 version...DJ

Especially since the main difference between the FS9 and FS10 versions of any significance is the addition of the VSD to the FS10 version...DJ
It just goes to show the lack of interest in the details. I don't think they ever considered someone that didn't have FS9 would buy the FSX version. I'm just tired of port overs. They would forget there were two versions at the support site and post repaints for FS9 in the FSX section, stuff like that. Eventually they started to catch on, but by then many had jumped ship.Ray

It just goes to show the lack of interest in the details. I don't think they ever considered someone that didn't have FS9 would buy the FSX version. I'm just tired of port overs. They would forget there were two versions at the support site and post repaints for FS9 in the FSX section, stuff like that. Eventually they started to catch on, but by then many had jumped ship.Ray
That lack of consideration must be why they offered the FSX version for $15 to FS9 customers... there's no 'port over' involved except for the tutorial. Darn few ever 'jumped ship' and those remaining seem to be happy campers - hence the recent AVSIM award.DJ

That lack of consideration must be why they offered the FSX version for $15 to FS9 customers... there's no 'port over' involved except for the tutorial. Darn few ever 'jumped ship' and those remaining seem to be happy campers - hence the recent AVSIM award.DJ
I was only talking about the tutorial being ported over. No big deal..There are enough developers and models for everyone to be happy. It just seemed to me that . . oh heck, let's move on. Have a good day.Ray
You need to read the entire sentence. The part after Primary . . . .Ray

Well, thanks to Roger, we can now enjoy an iFly review on the page where the same bird won the Avsim reader's choice award. smile.pngI think he nicely shows how it's done when it comes to reviewing things and also mentions a forums research on known problems and solutions. A role-model! He gives the impression of a great detailed and valued package and I wouldn't dare to correct him on that, since this is exactly how I think about the iFly.But phmcr is true, maybe the VC aspect could be added to allow all the VC flyers a closer look on that vital part of the aircraft. This gains even more through the fact that iFly has chosen to alter the methods of interacting with switches in the VC. Not to everyone's pleasure, especially on the Overhead. But that's a personal note of mine and the MCP clickspots already were updated in SP1, which rendered them to be close to perfect.I think this paragraph is a bit misleading.

While the basic cockpit layouts are almost identical, the BBJ-branded aircraft have at least a couple of impressive features that their numbered sibling do not. These would be the Head Up Display on the Captain’s side in the VC panel and the addition of a vertical profile display on the ND.
The VSD is there in all variants, only the HUD currently is a BBJ only item. This may be changed in the feature pack, so that all variants get the HUD.One could add that a free feature pack is on it's way or that there are special homebuilder versions and a full SDK available, but those would be just side notes.Maybe I might add my personal recommendation to run her with FS2Crew, as this combination not only makes it even more real, but also easier when e. g. hand flying. But I think Alan mentioned that he will take a separate look on that soft.Overall, a nice and honest review on a product being well worth to be reviewed. smile.png

I find it interesting that the VC was not part of the review.I bought the Ifly on release day and flew it until the NGX was released. In my opinion if your a cockpit builder or a 2d pilot then the ifly is a good choice. The SDK on release day was good, I think that some other developers should consider that for future releases. The VC on the IFLY was ok, but was not game changing, had lighting issues ( panel lighting that turns it's self on is not acceptable for me in this level of simulation) and texture issues under certain lighting conditions. I had knobs that turned to blobs on the MCP, I mentioned it and was told it was a FSX thing and nothing could be done about it, another time I was told it was my system. Never had this issue with other payware planes before or since the ifly. I also have seen the same issue in some youtube videos.CoolpI have not checked the IFLY forum in a bit, are they going to change the HUD for the FP. The BBJ hud was kind of dated looking.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

True. And even if it sounds too blunt, the current HUD has no use for TrackIR or even normal users. I hope that the feature pack will render it collimated. At least they spoke about it (the HUD itself) being an option in all planes then.I couldn't tell if the FP contents are fixed though. I saw some progress reports and some new features getting explained. So we may only assume things like new models, the HUD, the fix for the lighting, terrain display and enhanced VNAV, some more options in the config tool and maybe some surprises.All of those for free and for both sims I guess. At least they've mentioned that the FS9 users will be happy too.

True. And even if it sounds too blunt, the current HUD has no use for TrackIR or even normal users. I hope that the feature pack will render it collimated. At least they spoke about it (the HUD itself) being an option in all planes then.I couldn't tell if the FP contents are fixed though. I saw some progress reports and some new features getting explained. So we may only assume things like new models, the HUD, the fix for the lighting, terrain display and enhanced VNAV, some more options in the config tool and maybe some surprises.All of those for free and for both sims I guess. At least they've mentioned that the FS9 users will be happy too.
collimated. thats the word I was looking for when I was writing my original post. They really need to get that to work for the hud to be useful.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB