Sign in to follow this  
hogans

McPhat Studios NGX Textures & Licensing?

William. Well done for appologising. There are many people on these forums that speak their mind and never appologise. However I must just say that the statement that 90% of the posts are repeats is correct, the problem comes when things are stated by PMDG then just forgotten and never mentioned again. Questions are being asked but no answers are forthcoming.I am not anti PMDG. I think they have done wonders with the NGX and are masters at their skill. I just remember another company that released a 737NG for FSX and did not help their customers. I don;t think there will be many people queing for their next release. I would hate that to happen with PMDGOver the last year the NGX has been hyped up into what it is, the ultimate aircraft addon, however it was also mentioned that it would have the SDK and that McPhat would do liveries. The NGX has been out for a while now and still there are delays. With regards to the SDK, some people have very expensive equipment waiting for the SDK.It's a bit like a car company releasing a car and selling it on the promise that it works perfect, you will have a special cover so you can change the colour and a free addon to make the seats into luxury seats. You then pay your money and the car arrives with basic paint, braking down and no luxury seats. You then have to wait for the SP1 update to make the car run for more than 5 mins and you hear nothing of the other things you was promised.I think all people are asking for is some answers as to an update.

I've had an interesting experience with Mcphat...A while back, I bought a CS 757 WA( the one with Delta)...however I wasn't totally impressed with the purchase, as I really only used Delta, the others were never used, and just sat there looking pretty...I still use the CS 757 and the Delta paint, but I was forever skeptical of buying from them again...Until maybe 3 weeks ago, I saw the screenshots of 747X WA2, with it some of the most recognized European airlines(Air France, Luthansa, and KLM) along with pacific airlines(Qantas, New Zealand)...I'm still impressed with their work on the Queen, and have flown routes from the US on every single one of them,I will buy the NGX packages, and hopefully be impressed with the work(IMO, the Yananyi Dreaming livery looks to be the best NGX livery ever)Just my two cents,
My opinion on this is that if you are seeing the same stuff come up all the time, maybe it's because these are real issues that need to be addressed by PMDG. Although I'm a big fan myself, we are also paying customers that have opinions and needs. I dont want to be rude to you but if you dont like it, dont read it. You are not on PMDG's payroll. You dont need to defend them. They are a company that sells products and THEY need to defend themselves and are very much able to do so. Just one example of this is the release of the SDK so we, the customers can use our favorite addons that we paid money for and want to use. We have every right to ask questions as paying clients. It's nothing personal.

If I was McPhat I'd do an ultimatum and provide say 7 days for PMDG to object to them putting them up and then go and do it - by providing PMDG reasonable notice they've kept their own legal &@($*' safe.But it is true, it is just a couple if things that keep coming up on this forum that could easily be sorted by PMDG swiftly, its simple customer service really.

Maybe i did come off a little rough, but when everytime I log into the forums to read, all I am seeing lately is just more and more posts about the same thing, people over and over asking the same question, and just pure wild speculation. It is a waste of time, and the way some of the topics are entitled, it seems like an actual legit post, but then turns into a word fest with no actual facts.So ya, maybe a bit over agro, but you have to agree...90% of question posts now are really redundant, and repeats.
Well, I can totally understand your frustration, William mate. I'm a PMDG fan through and through but if I'm being honest, some of the stuff I've read on this forum (thankfully not in the majority of cases - believe me when I say that I've learned so much by coming on here every day) has been painfull to read. However, I'm also a McPhat Studios fan - for me they are the best textures you can get for FSX (please guys, this is my personal opinion, I'm not trying to start a war.....). So, like others who admire their work, I'm respectfully and pilotely asking where things stand as regards to McPhat being able to release these beauties. No demanding, no pressure - just an answer, if that's not too much to ask.Thanks.Tom.

If I was McPhat I'd do an ultimatum and provide say 7 days for PMDG to object to them putting them up and then go and do it - by providing PMDG reasonable notice they've kept their own legal &@($*' safe.But it is true, it is just a couple if things that keep coming up on this forum that could easily be sorted by PMDG swiftly, its simple customer service really.
Exactly! Thanks

I'm as keen as the next man to get these textures, but I suspect it isn't as simple as some posts above suggest.For a start, it is almost never the case that you can give notice to say "unless you object I will do X" and get protection legally. If you're out of order, you're out of order.Next, I have no idea how these licences might be affected by IP issues concerning the owners of the real-life liveries.And third, we none of us know what the position is commercially in terms of the deal to be done between McP and PMDG both in cash terms, and in relation to any IP/third party rights.Beyond saying "we'd like to have the textures" I suggest this thread probably doesn't help move the issue on. Not that that ever stopped a thread :)Paul Scholey

Paul Skol

With all do respect Paul,What this thread is discussing is the fact PMDG are 'apparently' not responding to ANY correspondence from Mcphat since - and I quote - 2 months ago, it has been described as some as a 'cold shoulder' from PMDG.Legally - the IP issue is arguable but as this isn't a law forum and my interests differ, I also chose not to continue with that study line after gaining an LLB is another matter.If PMDG really are operating as a 'business' then they need to show somewhat more professionalism it seems from what I've read.See: http://www.mcphatstudios.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=94&func=view&catid=8&id=22930&limit=15&limitstart=375#26520

Craig, I understand your point. But you have to wonder, why PMDG would be "unprofessional" when a) they'll certainly get a kickback from McP for this and b the fans' enjoyment will be enhanced - there are no good business reasons to flatly refuse to deal, that I can think of. Which makes me suspect that one or more of the issues I've raised might well be in play. I'm guessing, of course - but so are we all; and I'm no ######, just trying to bring some balance to this.

Paul Skol

It doesn't seem as anyone here is bashing PMDG, but truly think about what PMDG was going through 2 months ago today. Can anyone say hotfix/es? Let's not forget the incessant clamoring for them to release the SDK for the NGX, SP1, 600/700 series and the list goes on. For those people who do not live in the US, this is considered a holiday week and I don't expect much of a response. I'm sure each one of the PMDG members are looking very much forward to spend some quality time with their families, especially Robert since his Father had taken ill during the release. Enjoy this magnificent product we have right now and I'm sure McPhat will receive their long awaited response soon.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Paul,I do understand where you are coming from here and I feel it is more as if PMDG have increased their own revenues from the NGX and after investing some time to make sure things went smoothly for their -600/700 launch have decided to essentially take time out, which as noted on this forum by various people.As much work as I understand they may have put into their product - they are a business and with that come obligations not to us but business partners, now it would be extremely different if it were the other way around.I re-iterate I am not attacking PMDG nor slating in any way but with business, comes Responsibilities and yes have time off but you don't leave 'business partners' - in which MCPhat could be described as in this circumstance - in the dark, it's just bad business.N.B. It isn't so much about spending time with families - with the advent of Blackberry, iPhones etc, it only takes a minute to send an e-mail...

Paul, I understand your point. There is never a reason for service to be unprofessional and I would never say that PMDG are unprofessional. But that has never stopped companies failing on providing good customer service. There have been a lot of companies that have released excellent products in the past but failed on the support side and have been never seen again. I would hate this to happen to PMDG. When people talk of an NGX for FSX they talk of two major players but there is a third. With the third company I have only ever seen bad comments in forums and although there product was ground breaking at the time, their poor customer service made it vanish onto obscurity. For the sake of a bit of time updating people on a forum, not quoting expected release dates, would put peoples minds at rest. PMDG has produced a marvelous product and fine tuned it with hot fixes and updates but by the look of the forums seem to be producing a bit of animosity for not answering what would seem simple questions.Dylan, I also understand your point and I, along with many other people on this forum do understand that the PMDG staff deserve to spend time with their families and wish Roberts father well, however PMDG is a business and are selling their products to make money. These are not freeware addons in which case they could do the work as and when. People have paid for their products and as such become customers. When customers are not happy with a product or service they have paid for, they have a right to voice their opinions and ask questions. If PMDG do not wish to answer the questions then that is within their rights however it will cause the reaction you are seeing on the forums. Once again, an update on the progress of these items would stop this and show that the paying customers are being listened to. They do not have to go into detail or give expected release dates but just a simple "yes we are still working on the SDK and the problems with McPhat liverys" or "No we are not doing anything else with the 737NGX and are putting all or resorces into the 777"Please note that I am not PMDG bashing here as I think that they have build a wonderful addon and without such companies pushing the boundaries then I think FSX would have been dead in the water. I have not yet purchased the NGX as I am waiting until the core is stable and I can get the FS2Crew addon, but I can't do that until the SDK is released. I am also looking forward the the upcoming 777 which I will be purchasing. I would hate to lose PMDG over something as simple as a couple of updates.

Gentlemen,I am going to be even more blunt than usual here: Some of the posts above are so woefully ignorant of facts that the posters should be banned just for voicing an opinion on a topic about which they know absolutely nothing.As Ryan has already stated, we are not going to discuss the state of matters that pertain to contracts, agreements or legal affairs in this forum. (Why? Because when it comes to legal issues the only opinions that matter are mine and our legal counsel's... period.)That being said: PMDG has bent over backward to help the folks at "McPhat" get up and running. I have spent thousands of dollars ensuring that they can support the NGX line without running into problems with our licensees above and below us in the food chain. In spite of this, we have been ignored, ridiculed, disregarded and, at the latest, misrepresented in a fashion that borders on flagrant dishonesty.I have tried folks- but when you get treated as we have- even my patience hits a limit.My hope is that another, more professionally run texture artist will appear on the scene who can produce such high quality work without the self centered hysteria.Those of you who know me will note that I *very* rarely say anything negative about other developers in this community because I am a STRONG believer that a healthy community is in the best interest of ALL of us... I have even found nice things to say about individuals who have blatantly lied and/or stolen in their dealings with PMDG.... So you should take that as an indication of just how fed up I am with the Bravo Sierra surrounding the wasted time and energy trying to get McPhat into the game.So before anyone goes of running their mouth with ignorant, uninformed crap- take a moment to think through the fact that you are completely unaware of 95% of what goes on in the background. This is a business operation- and sometimes the fantastical ideas of dreamers don't mesh well with the cold, hard reality of business. Welcome to my world....

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com