Sign in to follow this  
Evan Banalian

X-Plane 10 DEMO IS OUT

I must say I am dissapointed. The graphics, well the scenery is ok but even with AA it still seems very pixelated. I must admit though the neighbourhoods are very nice. And I do like the runway how it is sloped but I dont think that a Boeing 747 really jumps around quite like it did when i was trying to takeoff. Also find the menus very hard to navigate but that is probably because I am so used to FSX. For now, I will be sticking to MSFS. I dont care if its so realistic, if I look at the graphics and cant enjoy what I am doing, whats the point?
I agree with you. Also I found the viewing system extremely inconvient. Maybe it's me, but I can't look around in the cockpit like I can in FSX. I have to engage mouse look all the time. But when I disengage it, the view goes back to default again (pointed forward). So if I want to clock something on e.g. the overhead or comm panel, I always have to engage mouse look, and then the camera moves with the mouse cursor all the time, which is really annoying. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? How can I look around in the cockpit like in FSX? Using the hat switch on my yoke or the NUM keys on my keyboard?

Surely the runway slopes are way too exaggerated, they can't slope that much at the end. The look pretty good, but with such a major slope then there are sharp points where the slope angle changes which isn't very realistic.

-Iain Watson-

I tried XPlane 10 demo today. First of all I was surprised with the amount of detail in the scenery, lightning system, cool looking runway slope and unsmooth runway surface. But this was actually the only good part...I would normally actually not care about the default airplanes, because I'm only gonna fly PMDG anyway, but the 747 of XPlane is quite bad. For example the flaps, you get set each degree you want, for example flaps 17 or something.Secondly, I found it a VERY unhandy and hard to use programm. First of all I couldn't look around in the cockpit whatsoever using the hat switch on my yoke. I could look around though using the mouse look function, but it was a very unhandy way to do so. Because everytime I set up my view in the VC, disengaged mouse look again, because I wanted my camera to stay in the same place. But in that way, I can't click anything in the VC. So then I had to use mouse look again to point to for example the overhead panel. So I disengaged mouse look again, and it went back to the default view again! So annoying. So everytime I want to click on something on a panel, the camera actually moves with the mouse. Also in options, there seemed to be no way to look around normally, like you can do in FSX using Space + moving your mouse, or using the hat switch on the yoke. You could look left and right though, but these were all pre-setup views. I just want to be able to look around likein FSX! Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Could someone please help me on this? I find the viewing system very inconvenient.And then the flight dynamics. The wind was quite calm, but still it was blowing me from the left to the right, up and down. In the aircraft this doesn't happen at all. Maybe it does happen in small general aviation aircraft, but not this much. And in the 747 it doesn't happen at all especially in these calm conditions.My conclusion:Beautiful graphics, very inconvenient to use compared to FSX.
Read the manual ! Its not that hard to step up the hat button ! Go to the Buttons: Basic menu. Hit a button on your joystick. Then click the function you want that button to perform ! Your done !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I agree with you. Also I found the viewing system extremely inconvient. Maybe it's me, but I can't look around in the cockpit like I can in FSX. I have to engage mouse look all the time. But when I disengage it, the view goes back to default again (pointed forward). So if I want to clock something on e.g. the overhead or comm panel, I always have to engage mouse look, and then the camera moves with the mouse cursor all the time, which is really annoying.Maybe I'm doing something wrong? How can I look around in the cockpit like in FSX? Using the hat switch on my yoke or the NUM keys on my keyboard?
Read the manual ! Setting up the joystick hat is simple ! Go to the Buttons: Basic menu. Hit a button on your joystick. Then click the function you want that button to perform ! Your done ! Make sure you do it in that order.

Eric Escobar

Read the manual ! Setting up the joystick hat is simple ! Go to the Buttons: Basic menu. Hit a button on your joystick. Then click the function you want that button to perform ! Your done ! Make sure you do it in that order.
I know how to assign buttons in XPlane 10. But I don't know which function I should use for that button. All I want is being able to look around in the cockpit like I can do in FSX. When I press my hatswitch to the right the camera moves right, when I press it to the left, the camera goes left. My hatswitch is not one button though. It's a switch that goes in 8 directions, to basicly 8 buttons. So which function should I assign? Or can I just set that whole hatswitch to look around? How?

I know how to assign buttons in XPlane 10. But I don't know which function I should use for that button. All I want is being able to look around in the cockpit like I can do in FSX. When I press my hatswitch to the right the camera moves right, when I press it to the left, the camera goes left. My hatswitch is not one button though. It's a switch that goes in 8 directions, to basicly 8 buttons. So which function should I assign? Or can I just set that whole hatswitch to look around? How?
Go to Buttons Basic. Hit the left hat button once. Then click the (General command: pan left fast) with your mouse. Your done with the left hat button. Hit the right hat button once. Then click the (General command: pan right fast) with your mouse. Do the same thing with the up and down button on your hat buttons.
Go to Buttons Basic. Hit the left hat button once. Then click the (General command: pan left fast) with your mouse. Your done with the left hat button. Hit the right hat button once. Then click the (General command: pan right fast) with your mouse. Do the same thing with the up and down button on your hat buttons.
You can also youse (General command:pan left) if you want to pan slower.When you exit go to View and click on (3d Cockpit Command-look).

Eric Escobar

Already got it sorted out 1 hour ago. But thanks for you help anyway. :)But still, I find the viewing system much more inconvenient to use than in FSX. In FSX you could make small adjustments when using the hatswitch, right here, the adjustments are just too big. Also in FSX, you can hold SPACE and move the mouse, really easy way to look around. Also in FSX if you could center the camera perfectly using SPACE and the mouse. In XPlane 10 you can't really do that. It seems you need TrackIR to make it work properly.But no matter what, I've seen enough, I will not buy XPlane 10. The scenery looks great, but there are just some things that are a little inconvenient, it's just not as "user-friendly" as FSX. FSX is so easy to use compared to XPlane 10.But that's not the only bad thing. Althoug the scenery and night lightning in XPlane 10 looks gorgeous, I still think that MS Flight is gonna look way better. In XPlane 10, it's not even possible to have shadows and light casted into the cockpit! That's quite bad for a 2011 game...In MS Flight, this is gonna be possible.