Sign in to follow this  
Spook

Aerosoft Antarctica X - NOW AVAILIBLE

Use FDM for foolproof downloads. In any case Aerosoft should know better than deliver their product as a single 8 GBy file (e.g. it's not possible to back-up the file with a DVD).Cheers,- jahman.
You can always use a utility that can split a file, there are loads out there should you need to archive the file.

That looks stunning! So innovative and out of the ordinary. I have been planning a "pole-to-pole" trip down the left coast of North and South America. This would make an excellent finish after a planned several month excursion.Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Use FDM for foolproof downloads. In any case Aerosoft should know better than deliver their product as a single 8 GBy file (e.g. it's not possible to back-up the file with a DVD).
Hi, I'm the developer on Antarctica X. After developing a project like this I couldn't resist to check the forums and see how the feedback is and answer some questions if there are any. Glad you like the idea of doing something remote as Antarctica.As far as I can remember when testing the final installer from Aerosoft a few days ago, the download is indeed a single file. But once downloaded and unpacked you get a few files that are small enough to perfectly fit them on two DVDs. About downloading itself there is a thread in Aerosoft's forums:http://forum.aerosof...em-downloading/
Yes, but there are an awful lot of penguins!
I have to admit there are not that many penguins in the scenery as yet. But there's still more then enough content to come up with this - like hundred thousands of icebergs, a detailed coastline and so much more!I really hope that Antarctica X will be great success. I'm still full of ideas what else could be done (camp helipads around McMurdo, 1-2 more detailed bases and a few more millions of pengiuns, lol). If the sales are as good as we expect there is a good chance for an update with additional content in the future.Bests,Sascha

I guess for 13GB you get authentic wildlife autogen like Polar Bears, Penguins, Whales, Seals..;)
There are no polar bears in Antarctica - thousands of penguins though! Looks like great stuff, pity about the 13gig download.Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest jahman
Hi, I'm the developer on Antarctica X. After developing a project like this I couldn't resist to check the forums and see how the feedback is and answer some questions if there are any. Glad you like the idea of doing something remote as Antarctica.As far as I can remember when testing the final installer from Aerosoft a few days ago, the download is indeed a single file. But once downloaded and unpacked you get a few files that are small enough to perfectly fit them on two DVDs. About downloading itself there is a thread in Aerosoft's forums:http://forum.aerosof...em-downloading/...
  1. You should give customers the option of also downloading a set of multiple 2 GBy files!
  2. Also use the .zip format because .rar is a PITA for PC users!
  3. The timeout is far too short for a 15 hr download at 1 MBit/Sec broadband ADSL link (what's the point of using a download manager if the server does not allow the resume because it timed out?)

AntarcticaX looks very nice from the videos (I will be installing it in the next few days) but I would really rather developpers not innovate on downloading techniques:

1. Use 2 GBy files max
  2. Use the .zip format
  3. Keep the files live until they are downloaded once

This is what most everybody else does, BTW.Remember, when asking customers to "just do this" or "just do that" for your particular add-on, that we have a zillion add-ons on our FSX PCs by now and keeping track of everything that needs to be done "just like this" or "just like that" for each specific add-on becomes a real pain.As an example of what I mean, with MegaSceneryX's California State Complete, I downloaded over a 100 files and 110 GBy continuously over a 10 day period without any hiccups at all (and that includes my ISP going off-line for a few minutes every morning for system maintenance), and I did this by copying a single URL into my download manager! Oh, and no .rar files either!And of course I do have my pet peeve that for reasons unknown (and I have complained several times!) the Aerosoft installer always requires me to install scenery on my FSX disk instead of another disk I use for scenery. So then I manually move the scenery to my sceenry disk, and this would be OK), except that when an update is released, it looks into my FSX drive (never mind what my scenery.cfg says!) and complains it can't find the v. 1.00 to update, so there again I go installing v. 1.00, then the update, and then again moving averything over manually to my scenery drive. Sometimes I think Aerosofties live in a parallell universe! Big%20Grin.gifPlease remember that all time unnecessarily spent nursing along a download or cajoling an add-on to install itself onto the disk we chose is time we are not spending simming enjoying your add-on (and is of course also time spent away from our families).Many thanks.Cheers,- jahman.

1. You should give customers the option of also downloading a set of multiple 2 GBy files!
  2. Also use the .zip format because .rar is a PITA for PC users!
  3. The timeout is far too short for a 15 hr download at 1 MBit/Sec broadband ADSL link (what's the point of using a download manager if the server does not allow the resume because it timed out?)

AntarcticaX looks very nice from the videos (I will be installing it in the next few days) but I would really rather developpers not innovate on downloading techniques:

1. Use 2 GBy files max
  2. Use the .zip format
  3. Keep the files live until they are downloaded once

This is what most everybody else does, BTW.

They do huh? LOLI use WINRAR because you can create and save as an RAR or ZIP and it opens many more extensions like ZIP, ISO's and JAR's.And it gives you more compression features than WINZIP.Of the Aerosoft sceneries I have, I was able to specify where they installed. For those sceneries that need to see the FSX exe to install, I have a dummy copy in a dummy folder, so no problems there.as for file sizes, i am all for options, but don't expect them. I have no issues d/ling big files, but then again, I don't use DL managers either.Sasa, the scenery looks great, will be picking it up very soon!! What sold me are the baked in textures and the photoreal areas at some of the bases, adds to the realism.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest jahman
They do huh? LOLI use WINRAR because you can create and save as an RAR or ZIP and it opens many more extensions like ZIP, ISO's and JAR's.And it gives you more compression features than WINZIP.
And if the file is .zipped, you don't even need some extra program, you just use Windows' native File Explorer to navigate into the zipped filed. Heck, you can even double-click an .exe file inside the .zip archive and install your add-on without needing to decompress the archive, or install some third part software, which of course is what I was trying to explain, "LOL".Cheers,- jahman.

1. You should give customers the option of also downloading a set of multiple 2 GBy files.

Well explained, jahman. As the scenery developer I can only speak for the scenery itself, not the installers and the servers that are both provided by my publisher. Would you mind if I quote your comments in the Aerosoft forum's thread mentioned above? (you could also post your comments right there if that's an option for you). The installer and server guys are always around there and certainly won't mind some constructive feedback to comment to.Bests,Sascha

Sascha, I've printed all the charts now and will explore your nice work with my colourful plane. smile.pngmcmurdo.jpgThe only downside I can see is that FSX flaw on the clouds and their proportions. As you've explained that in the manual it of course isn't something in the reach of the scenery designer. By the way, the settings in the manual work perfectly and the framerates are great.Once again, thanks for offering such a nice and completely new scenery experience.A tip for the Twotter flyers. Make sure to install these sharper cockpit textures. They really help the plane looking way better on the text.

Guest jahman

Sascha,Many thanks for your reply.I do understand you are the developper of the add-on, but as such you have far more leverage on the publisher than I do, so I was glad to post my feedback here for you to see.My comments are public and thus free for you to use as you wish, including re-posting on the Aerosoft forum if you feel it's useful (but I appreciate you asking anyway).Looking forward to flying the C-130 into AntarcticaX in the newxt few days!Cheers,. jahman.