Sign in to follow this  
Airbus Commander

Windshear

Just wondering if reactive windshear is modeled in the NGX as I'm just after flying through some fairly heavy WS but no alarm. I get that there probably wouldn't be predictive windshear if the wind in FS is anything like rain and clouds, but reactive windshear should be easy enough to define by a few parameters.Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I wondered the same thing Rónán. I've been in some pretty bad situations as well and haven't gotten the alert. I know that they have a sound for it, but I would hope its not just for the EGPWS test.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Isnt it because FSX cannot do windshear like conditions? I may be wrong. :-) Best regardsJakob

737 CL/NG skysurfer

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg2zzdi.jpg

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the FS engine, The PMDG team would know better, but I'm under no illusion that what I experienced was WS.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

There are Wind Shear settings in Activesky Evolution so I would assume it is modeled with ASE or it would not be an available option. Whether the NGX models Windshear and Alerts for it I don't know.

There certainly is windshear in FSX, and the Leonardo MD-82 proves that it can be recognized. I've gotten quite a few warnings in that bird. I don't see why there wouldn't be windshear recognition in the NGX as it's one of the most advanced aircraft in FSX. I'd be disappointed if the sound was only there for the EGPWS test, and nothing else...

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Isn't WS detection/warning a part of the WXR, and as such not modelled for the reasons oft given?

Isn't WS detection/warning a part of the WXR, and as such not modelled for the reasons oft given?
I would think only windshear prediction is... I know FSX makes it impossible to have WXR, but there should not be any huge difficulty in the aircraft recognizing the variables of windshear when it happens.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

As I mentioned above, I was asking about reactive not predictive windshear alerts. Predictive runs on weather radar analysing the conditions ahead, but reactive WS advisory/caution/warning doesn't use that and analyses the airspeed trend...Capt Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

PWS is not modeled - the real thing uses the wx radar to detect minute changes (Doppler shift) in the motion of particles in the airmass - dust etc. That's not possible in FSX.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

PWS is not modeled - the real thing uses the wx radar to detect minute changes (Doppler shift) in the motion of particles in the airmass - dust etc. That's not possible in FSX.
But what about my original post which asked about Reactive wind shear? Is that modeled or just in the GPWS test?

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Interesting question, I am also curious to know if the Reactive mode of wind shear is simulated for real or if it is only a cosmetic audio test only.

I would think only windshear prediction is... I know FSX makes it impossible to have WXR, but there should not be any huge difficulty in the aircraft recognizing the variables of windshear when it happens.
FSX does not make WXR simulation impossible, it can be "reverse engineered" in a satisfactory if not 100% accurate way. If PMDG don't want to do that, that's their business. PWS could be simulated in conjunction with WXR. Of course the windshear so "predicted" wouldn't actually be present, but it would add to immersion and cause unexpected diversions in a semi realistic way. All purely hypothetical on this forum of course. :-)Kevin Hall

ki9cAAb.jpg