Sign in to follow this  
MistyBlue

FPS drop in multi-monitor when choosing overhead view

Been having a strange problem with my 3-monitor setup using TripleHead2Go. When I start the NGX everything works great. I use TrackIR 5 and have no problems with performance when panning around the cockpit across the three screens. However, when selecting Shift+6 to get the overhead display, the cursor goes into a continual flash and performance drops down to 8-10 FPS compared with easily over 30 before. All the other Shift+ windows work fine. Just the overhead tanks performance. If I go an entire flight without using Shift+6 I have no problems. I know the NGX wasn't tested for multi-monitor so I'm hoping someone other than the devs have some idea about this one.

Tony

I have a 3-monitor vc using nvidia surround. I've never experienced that, but I also don't switch views. Any time I need a panel view I just open it as a new window. Try the overhead that way & see if it still slows you down

I see a slight drop in framerates too (which is in my opinion quite normal) but it's not a framekiller.However, I made a custom overhead panel.If you want to, I'll PM you my VC panel and you can copy/paste whatever you want from it in your own panel file.It's all just text, nothing to worry about.Bert Van BulckP.S. I'll be away from home a couple of days.

Thanks guys. Hmm, I'll have to try opening the overhead as a new window versus using the the Shift+ method and see if that helps. I expect a slight drop in framerates but we're talking from 30's down to the 10's. So something is not right.Bert, thanks for the offer on the custom overhead. I'd be interested to give that a go, though I'll be honest, I haven't ever done anything like that so I'm not quite sure what I need to do once I have your panel file.

Tony

Been having a strange problem with my 3-monitor setup using TripleHead2Go. When I start the NGX everything works great. I use TrackIR 5 and have no problems with performance when panning around the cockpit across the three screens. However, when selecting Shift+6 to get the overhead display, the cursor goes into a continual flash and performance drops down to 8-10 FPS compared with easily over 30 before. All the other Shift+ windows work fine. Just the overhead tanks performance. If I go an entire flight without using Shift+6 I have no problems. I know the NGX wasn't tested for multi-monitor so I'm hoping someone other than the devs have some idea about this one.
I have the exact same thing with two displays (ATI 6790) , however it happens more for me when I in VC and press SHIFT + 3 to bring up the CDU.I get the exact thing, the cursor goes into circle formation and continual flash and performance drops down to 8-10 FPS.I also noticed that my CDU window disappears and I am no longer able to bring it up again by pressing SHIFT + 3, no matter how many times I try.this usually happens I had noticed , when I drag the CDU window (after pressing SHIFT + 3) to the second screen however it happensto me some times on my main window/screen as well.BTW - I am running the FSX at full screen mode , not Window mode if it is any help.Ticket Number 00D-166E8315-40E5

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Yes Joel, exactly the same thing I'm having, but as mentioned, with the overhead. My CDU works fine. Go figure.Are you using a Dual or TripleHead2Go, or just native video card monitor spanning?In my case, I'm running in Windowed mode. I also failed to mention that the overhead does NOT pull up. So I get the frame rate drop, AND no overhead display, to which as Joel mentioned, I'm not able to get it to appear at all. So sounds like we have the same problem, just different panels. Strange.

Tony

Have you tried reducing the "Window Size" in the panel.cfg file?I'm not sure if the same holds true for TripleHead2Go, but for Eyefinity this will happen when it attempts to display a panel across all 3 screens.//// Fowrawrd Overhead//[Window05]file_1024=PMDG_NGX_OVHD_Wide.bmpsize_mm=1920,1200window_size= 1.000, 1.000 <<<Change this to window_size= .333, 1.000position=0visible=0ident=405zorder=85

Are you using a Dual or TripleHead2Go, or just native video card monitor spanning?
native video card monitor spanning, I haven't got the fancy TripleHead2Go thing.I did not try it in Eyefinity mode (ATI driver settings), which basically does the same as the TripleHead2Go does.I use the standard Desktop span, which in FSX full screen mode only activates one screen and darken the second screen, however one can dragcockpit windows to the second screen and use it, e.g. the PFD/ND or all the other "SFHIT + x" out there.I also Drag the VoxATC windows there, to my second screen for the ATC Conversation History and VoxATC console.
window_size= 1.000, 1.000 <<<Change this to window_size= .333, 1.000
No, I haven't. what does this essentially do?is it also good for Full screen mode or only Window mode?

Joel Strikovsky

No, I haven't. what does this essentially do?is it also good for Full screen mode or only Window mode?
It is saying to display the overhead panel 333% across the entire viewing area and 100% from top to bottom.You can play with those settings to get it the exact size you want.

so isn't it supposed to be 3.333 instead of .333?for me the CDU is fine settings to be in it's original size , which is way in my screen boundaries limits.I don't know how this would help me out.

Joel Strikovsky

so isn't it supposed to be 3.333 instead of .333?for me the CDU is fine settings to be in it's original size , which is way in my screen boundaries limits.I don't know how this would help me out.
1.000 equals 100%.333 equals 1/3 of 1.000.500 would equal 1/2 of 1.000And so on....

I thought you said in your post it would be 333% larger then original (3 times more), not Third in size,I guess I read you wrong.thanks for clearing thing out.

Joel Strikovsky

Notice the overhead is the only panel that is told by default to display 100% across, all the others are set smaller.That's why it's the only one that is a problem. It's trying to display the overhead across all 3 screens and it can't do it.

well, mines is the CDU that causes the problem (I have not tried other Windows though) and it's pop ups at a normal size, so I don't think it would do any aid for me those settings.

Joel Strikovsky

well, mines is the CDU that causes the problem (I have not tried other Windows though) and it's pop ups at a normal size, so I don't think it would do any aid for me those settings.
That is true. Maybe something the OP should try.