Sign in to follow this  
HighFlyer310

Editing tower view...

I cant seem to figure out how to edit the tower view in FSX. In FS9, you could go into the map and move the tower around/edit its parameters. I'd like to be able to replay my landings with a custom tower view like I could in FS9.

Tom Moretti

Intel i7-7700k @ 4.8 Ghz - MSI Z270 Gaming M5 - 16GB DDR4-3200 Gskill - Nvidia GTX1080 - Corsair H100i V2 - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I think FSX just puts a view on where the tower is located or something from the afcad, not really sure, BUT, you can do some cool things with tower view in FSX. Normally Tower view will just watch your aircraft or in your direction. You can set a hot key to activate (View track/pan (toggle) FSX controls). Then when you switch to tower view, activate your pan view toggle and now you should be able to pan around, or if you use Track IR then you could just use your head. This is great for making videos.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Correction, it's View track/pan (toggle)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hey Dan,Thanks for the reply.. Im looking more towards being able to place the tower view at a position/height of my liking.. such as next to the runway or at the end, etc. As far as i've investigated, this is not possible with FSX.. only way might be with an add-on program such as Active Camera.

Tom Moretti

Intel i7-7700k @ 4.8 Ghz - MSI Z270 Gaming M5 - 16GB DDR4-3200 Gskill - Nvidia GTX1080 - Corsair H100i V2 - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

You would need to use something like ADE for a specific airport tower edit. If you want to make ALL of your towers views higher, then you would need to edit your camera.cfg master in your apps roaming folder. There's an entry for Tower Views. You could do the edit I mentioned above also there and making the slew speed more to your liking, and even save a key assignment.

Dan Prunier

Tom, I have just the program for you. It's called FS Recorder. It will allow you to create and place your tower views at whatever location you want. Your tower views are integrated into FSX under the 'views' menu, and it's a great, great tool. By the way, it's free!

Tom, I have just the program for you. It's called FS Recorder. It will allow you to create and place your tower views at whatever location you want. Your tower views are integrated into FSX under the 'views' menu, and it's a great, great tool. By the way, it's free!
I've got FSRecorder. Didn't know it was possible, can u explain how its done, or point me in the right direction please?

Robert, I'll explain it step by step. I'm using the 2.1 beta version, and I'll presume your version has the same functionality.Step 1: You need to place your airplane exactly where you want your tower view. You need to have it at the correct location and height above the ground. I usually slew my plane to where I want it.Step 2: FSX menu, select Views, then View Mode, then Custom, then FS Recorder Tower. This will allow you to 'S' your views to your tower camera after you create it.Step 3: FSX menu, select FS Recorder, then Tower Cameras, then 'New'.Step 4: FSX menu, select FS Recorder, then Tower Cameras, then 'Edit'.Step 5: Click the 'Set to Aircraft' button, and assign a title to your tower view (like "KORD tower" for example).If done correctly, your tower will now be where you situated your aircraft in step 1. You'll now need to get out of slew mode, and hit the 'S' key (perhaps a few times) to cycle your way to your tower view.The camera will follow your aircraft as you descend and land, and you can also zoom in and out as you wish. If you create many tower cameras, just remember to do step 2 to activate the custom camera view, then select the tower you want to see from the Tower Cameras list.I hope this helps, it's a great feature that's easily overlooked.

Robert, I'll explain it step by step. I'm using the 2.1 beta version, and I'll presume your version has the same functionality.Step 1: You need to place your airplane exactly where you want your tower view. You need to have it at the correct location and height above the ground. I usually slew my plane to where I want it.Step 2: FSX menu, select Views, then View Mode, then Custom, then FS Recorder Tower. This will allow you to 'S' your views to your tower camera after you create it.Step 3: FSX menu, select FS Recorder, then Tower Cameras, then 'New'.Step 4: FSX menu, select FS Recorder, then Tower Cameras, then 'Edit'.Step 5: Click the 'Set to Aircraft' button, and assign a title to your tower view (like "KORD tower" for example).If done correctly, your tower will now be where you situated your aircraft in step 1. You'll now need to get out of slew mode, and hit the 'S' key (perhaps a few times) to cycle your way to your tower view.The camera will follow your aircraft as you descend and land, and you can also zoom in and out as you wish. If you create many tower cameras, just remember to do step 2 to activate the custom camera view, then select the tower you want to see from the Tower Cameras list.I hope this helps, it's a great feature that's easily overlooked.
Thanx for the excellent explanation:)))) A very handy feature indeed!

No problem, hope you like it. I've made over 10 tower views, and it's quite easy after completing the first one.