Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Google Warehouse buildings in xplane..(scenery question)?

I agree with Honnli. The problem is there needs to be a worldwide population, both at airports and cities of recongnizable objects. There don't have to be a ton of them but there need to be something. Generic building placement works pretty fine at airports, and if users want more detail there is shareware/payware.I could not believe the difference flying over my home city of Detroit changed in xplane when I added just a few buildings here and there both thru freeware and my efforts-both in the city and in the subs. After all, one uses those landmarks in real flying! I also can't beleive what a sterile experience it is going over the other cities in xplane where this is nothing-flying over San Fransico and there being no Golden Gate Bridge/Bay bridge, Transamerica pyramid is just is not great-and I fear that this more than anything will turn simmers away from xplane, which is not good. Yes I bought the shareware San Fransisco package yesterday and it is much better-but we need a world like that and sooner than later-that is if xplane wishes to go mainstream.

Guys, you might want to export the OSM data for an area your interested in. The 1st screen shot below is the default OSM data from the discs, and the 2nd is an export I just did for downtown Toronto that I ran through osm2xp. Someone has been adding buildings since the default data was collected. Maybe your area has changed as well, looks a fair bit nicer. Still missing the major landmarks, that can be worked on.GlenHere's 2 more shots from a bigger exported area from osm. There is no comparison. What osm data was used on the retail discs, how old was that data??

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

osm building data isn't used by Laminar, they are using roads to generate buildings along them.

Ok, so then everyone needs to go into OSM and export the data for the areas they want to fly in, because what's on the retail discs looks nothing like what is exported from OSM? Here is London, Ontario. The first shot is default data from the retail discs, the second shot is data today from OSM. Again, there is no comparison between the two, and is much more pleasing to look at.This is not a setting in XPlane, you have to go to OSM and export the data you want, and bring it in. Now this is well worth the effort.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Note that you can also use big .pbf files instead of small osm export http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/ , give boston a try, it's the best area in the US in osm.Now the problem with osm2xp in xplane10 is this texture bug on roofs, hope that Ben will fix it soon.

Benny, I just downloaded a 355meg ontario.osm.bz2 from Cloud Made Maps. It's from August of this year. Can I run this through Osm2xp or is it too large??Glenedit: The canada.osm.pbf is 957meg, that's too big for my internet connection. Hope the stuff from Cloud Made is ok??edit: I noticed some off the roofs, certainly can live with it, at least the area is populated with buildings.

osm2xp will only read .pbf and .osm files (you can extract a osm file from the .bz2 you got), you can find smaller pbf files for canada here http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/north-america/canada/. Plus processing the whole canada file will take a very long time as it's a very big area.If you want more precision about osm2xp, please ask in its topic http://forum.avsim.net/topic/327829-osm2xp/ , as this one is more focused on 3D modeling :)

Ya, had already started it in osm2xp, stopped it though and asked, didn't want to waste any more time if it wasn't going to work. Got what I need, thanks. Now I'll go populate the areas like they should be.Straight%20Face.gifOh, and this thread appears to be about getting buildings into the currently barren XPX, something that should have been there from the beginning. My apologizes to Geof if the thread got hijacked.Glen

I guess I am going to investigate the format of the .obj file.From what I can tell it starts with two headers which tell it the texture files to use for day and night:TEXTURE pnobs.jpgTEXTURE_LIT pnobs_LIT.jpgThen are the vertex counts (I assume the point to draw):OINT_COUNTS 38789 0 0 97053VT -36.7705 0.0000 88.7592 0.000 1.000 -0.000 1.1000 1.0000Then there are a bunch of these at the end which I am not sure are:IDX10 2 1 0 5 4 3 8 7 6 4My idea again is to take a normal pretranslated .obj file-change the calls to paint multiple textures with only 1 that while not 100% perfect would give the grey building a single textures believable trait. This should be quick and easy but it sure seems like finding a needle in a haystack how to do it.

Those OSM shots look awesome, Glen! They look so much better than the default! Though that warehouse/office in the after shot in your second set of shots seems to be having a vegetation problem. :( I'd love to try importing OSM buildings, though unfortunately I haven't ordered XP10 yet (waiting till after the xmas madness and preferably for Aerosoft's global edition) and my local area doesn't seem to have any buildings in OSM... :(@Geof, I don't think digging into the obj file is gonna yield much result. There're way to many vertex definitions in there, not to mention those IDX10's which I have no idea what they're defining... Though good luck with that.Anyway, I'm gonna continue manually re-mapping Google Warehouse buildings for the time being. Hopefully it'll get faster.

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

Well I did an experiement last night and it appears it could be simple. I exported an google building to xplane, then manually changed the single texture call in the obj file to different textures. After each time I changed the texture-the model appeared perfectly in overlay editor with the new different single texture.So the question I have (because this is a simple process and takes about 1 minute 1/2 per building)-why does it appear correctly in overlay editor with the correct texture but when it goes to the sim appear without texture?

Geof, it might be because the textures aren't the right size, eg 256 squared etc? It's been a tough learning curve for me too, but my skyscraper factory is finally kicking in now, I just gotta get the scale right! Certainly I can see now the perfect option is mixing hirise 3d objects with OSM2xp stuff. Xp10 makes any models look very nice with its lighting!Baron_58_60kseacbd.jpgBaron_58_62kseacbd.jpg

That looks spectacular-now can you do Detroit and perhaps San Diego-lol!Yes I've done the power of two thing-it really is strange-everything appears perfectly in Overlay Editor but not in the sim..

Geof, send me a pm and I'll hive u an address to send the offending file to, I'll check them out during the week if u want.Those buildings are just random, they can be used for any city, I'll post to the org and opensceneryx when I'm happy with them. About 20 so far, all using the one texture file.