Sign in to follow this  
Mudhen

Excluding Autogen with ADE for FSX

The results are the same, so I must have had the package installed correctly at first. But I followed your directions and - no change. There must be a variable you should know about that I'm not savvy enough to have already mentioned. I have no Europe addon scenery, mesh, or landclass.I have attempted to attach four screenshots, two with the addon and two without. You can see the trees in my way in both the addon and default cockpit view, and you can see how I'm incorrectly positioned for TO in the addon topdown views. with the addon active (the airport is in top right of screenshot).I've also attached the three relevant portions of my scenery list. You can see the trees in both shots from the rwy takeoff positions. I'm stumped.Gary MH

GaryGBJust for the heck of it, with the addon active I repositioned my plane to near the TO position on Courchevel's rwy. I slewed up and changed heading so you can see the trees taunting me. Strange, eh?Gary MH

Hi MH:Good job with the screenies ! :smile:I can see why your aircraft loads at the default FSX LFLJ start location rather than at that of the add-on LFLJ, as well as why your scenery has some of the higher autogen trees adjacent to the airport... the add-on package exclude layers are not positioned within the FSX scenery library "display priority stack" in such a way that they can work correctly. :Thinking:If you review the ReadMe.txt file in altiports_alpesxv2.zip, you will note that the author specifies a particular order in which to enter the "parts" of that scenery package into the FSX scenery library GUI via "Add Area". :("French Alps - Altiports for FSX Version 2.0By Guy Nemoz___________________________________________________________This scenery provides 4 French altiports with sloped runways.LFHM - MegeveLFKX - MeribelLFHU - Alpes d'HuezLFLJ - CourchevelINSTALLATION----------------------1 - Extract content of zip files into your Microsoft Flight Simulator XAddon scenery folder.2 Run Flight Simulator X- At the opening screen select SETTINGS- On the right side of the screen under Other settings – select SCENERY LIBRARY- At the SCENERY LIBRARY SETTINGS Screen Select ADD AREA- Locate the Altiports_AlpesXv2 folder- Select Alti0 and then select OK- Select Alti1 and then select OK- Select Alti2 and then select OK- Select Alti3 and then select OK- Select Alti4 and then select OK"FYI: Your screenie shows that the "parts" are in reverse order on your installation. :(To fix this, during a FSX flight at LFLJ:1.) Open the FSX scenery library GUI via FSX Menu > World > Scenery Library2.) Use the "Move Up" / "Move Down" functions to arrange the parts of altiports_alpesxv2.zip into proper order:a.) Put "0" at the bottom of this stack of (5) add-on scenery package "parts" in altiports_alpesxv2.zipb.) Next above that is "1"c.) Next above that is "2"d.) Next above that is "3"e.) Next above that is "4"NOTE: This means that "4" should end up at the very top of the stack of scenery layers in FSX scenery library GUI.3.) Click "OK" to Save changes made, and after re-indexing, you are returned to your flight.Please let us know how this works for you. :(PS: What FSX terrain mesh complexity and resolution slider setting are you using ?Also, are you using a 3rd party add-on terrain mesh for LFLJ area ?GaryGB

UPDATE (...after further inquiry into this scenario)

I have examined both the default and the add-on version in altiports_alpesxv2.zip for Courchevel in FSX, with my scenery and autogen density sliders maxed (with NO UTX or GEX "Europe" active, and with NO FSX.Cfg "TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL" autogen attenuation tweak active).I do not see any trees of significant height that would impede one's approach to LFLJ... as they are farther downhill at an effective lower elevation well below the altitude of the RWY threshold.Also, I see little more than sparse lower height vegetation in the immediate vicinity of the airfield and terminal itself.The location of LFLJ in altiports_alpesxv2.zip for Courchevel has been placed into an alignment closer to real life than the FSX default LFLJ.Google Earth 'Jump' coordinates: 45.397395°N, 6.634884°EWhen that add-on LFLJ in altiports_alpesxv2.zip for Courchevel has been placed into a position in the FSX scenery library stack of layers ABOVE that of the default FSX scenery, it will exclude the default LFLJ.Thus if the add-on scenery is installed and configured properly, your aircraft will load correctly at the LFLJ in altiports_alpesxv2.zip... and the default FSX will no longer be visible.I also think it is likely you may then no longer have interfering trees on the approach and within the vicinity of the airfield itself.EDIT: After properly disabling UTX Europe via the Seup/Configuration utility for that package (rather than via my initial and incomplete 'quick-and-dirty' attempt by disabling the UTX Europe entries in the FSX Scenery Library GUI), I do now see the problematic autogen trees on approach to LFLJ, and other trees nearby in the vicinity of the airfield as shown in your screenies.Also, the default FSX LFLJ is NOT being excluded properly by the add-on LFLJ in altiports_alpesxv2.zip for Courchevel :(I suggest that you try this:1.) Remove the present installation of any add-on airports and/or scenery for Courchevel area2.) Un-ZIP the contents of altiports_alpesxv2.zip into a subfolder created in the [FSX install path]Addon Scenery folder chain.3.) Follow that authors instructions in his ReadMe file to add the specified parts 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 via the FSX Scenery Library GUI "Add Area" function.4.) Be sure UTX and/or GEX Europe are disabled during initial testing.EDIT: UTX Users - be sure to disable via the Seup/Configuration utility for the UTX package (rather than via a incomplete 'quick-and-dirty' attempt by disabling the UTX Europe entries in the FSX Scenery Library GUI)Apparently UTX Europe changes landclass and/or autogen annotation info for the LFLJ area.
Apparently SCASM code is used for some of the files in the altiports_alpesxv2.zip package, and further analysis of those files would be needed to better identify a solution for eradicating the residual default FSX LFLJ airport start location anomaly, as well as for identifying what vertex coordinates may best work in an additional (or replacement) FSX CVX vector format Autogen Exclude BGL to eliminate autogen trees on approach to the RWY threshold of the add-on LFLJ airport. :Shocked:I may post a proposed workflow here later to resolve the 2 above problems after I can allocate some time to analyse the multiple legacy SCASM BGL files and FSX SDK compliant files used at LFLJ in the altiports_alpesxv2.zip package.You may wish to search FS download websites for "other" freeware versions more compatible with FSX. :Idea:Sorry for the initial misinformation posted above prior to a more in depth evaluation of the unusual "hybrid" SCASM and FSX SDK component approach used at LFLJ by the author of the above add-on package in question. :(PS: This challenging airport location in FS has been developed by various authors, and numerous attempts to sell such scenery as payware have had a modest following (reportedly by end users willing to tolerate support websites that cater primarily to those who speak French).One French company that made a FSX payware version of LFLJ seems to have vanished from the web.Aerosoft is apparently considering doing a payware version of that airport for FSX as well.http://forum.aerosof...post__p__360045FYI: A reportedly successful and well-received FSX payware version of Courcheval was done by LLH Creations:http://www.llhinfo.com/llh5a.htmlhttp://www.llhinfo.com/home.htmlGaryGB

Thank you for your continued interest in helping with this. I can't justify payware. I just thought that this was a unique airport and would like to test my skill with it every once in a while. I didn't consider that there might be an exclude bgl in all the files so I didn't think the order in the scenery list was significant. I must learn to read closely.I prefer to keep my scenery files on the non FSX drive so I haven't put them in the Addon Scenery path, but I have ordered them correctly in the FSX scenery list. The stinking trees remain in both the default and addon versions of LFLJ, and the addon version has terrain behind the trees (see screenshot) so even if the trees go away I'll still have a challenge!My scenery slider is maxed and autogen is at very dense. I don't have the autogen attenuation tweak. And I only have UT USA installed - nothing for Europe.I'll look for other Courchevel scenery as you suggested. The paywares you mentioned make a better looking ramp, but that's not enough to get me to buy.I used ADE to open the default LFLJ and pondered what I might do to improve things, but my scenery skills are limited, as you can see. I also used ADE to open what I hoped would be a modifiable Courchevel afcad - tried the file: apalpes.bgl. Maybe it's not the correct file but the only thing that displayed was two pink dots - the tower and the airport reference, I believe. Nothing I could take a stab at changing. So while I look for other Courchevel addons, I'll hope that you find time to make this one work well.Thanks Again, Gary MH

While I'm contemplating the possibility of fixing this for you and others, I see from your last screenie above that you have the 2 hillocks on the close approach to the RWY... which I also am seeing on my system. :Thinking:Again, please report what FSX terrain mesh complexity and resolution slider settings you are using, as it may need to be considered when implementing changes for this particular airport add-on scenery package altiports_alpesxv2.zip for Courchevel in FSX.

PS: What FSX terrain mesh complexity and resolution slider setting are you using ?Also, are you using a 3rd party add-on terrain mesh for LFLJ area ?
I used ADE to open the default LFLJ and pondered what I might do to improve things, but my scenery skills are limited, as you can see. I also used ADE to open what I hoped would be a modifiable Courchevel afcad - tried the file: apalpes.bgl. Maybe it's not the correct file but the only thing that displayed was two pink dots - the tower and the airport reference, I believe. Nothing I could take a stab at changing. So while I look for other Courchevel addons, I'll hope that you find time to make this one work well.Thanks Again, Gary MH
Good info about what you saw with ADE at LFLJ in apalpes.bgl, as I had not yet looked at it... that may make eradicating the un-wanted and persistent default FSX LFLJ start location easier to achieve. :Applause:Do keep up the learning in ADE via repeated tinkering...but do also allocate some time to Read The Fine Manual (RTFM) ! :smile:GaryGB

Sorry, had to leave the house quickly so I didn't have time to give you the requested details.FSX terrain mesh complexity is 100 and resolution is 10m. The only addon mesh andlandclass I use is for the US/North America. I use nothing for Europe.Oddly, default FSX can't find LFHM, LFHU, or LFKX - the other three French strips.Google says they exist, but FSX must not have modeled them. So no chance of aconflict there.MH

I googled the entire world, scanned dozens of forums, and found that the troublesome trees were presentlong, long ago. This is not a new issue. Eventually I found something in the avsim library that sounds likeit should work. Is advertised to exclude only for "standard" FSX airports.File name is agexcl_3x.zipTried it, and no joy - not for Courchevel, which is a standard FSX airport, or the other three in the package.Must wait to see if you can come up with something.MH

FSX terrain mesh complexity is 100 and resolution is 10m. The only addon mesh andlandclass I use is for the US/North America. I use nothing for Europe.
Thanks for the reply. :(BTW: Note that the authors ReadMe file also recommends (IMHO, at least...) a texture resolution of 15 or 30 cm (I used 7 cm successfully at LFLJ).GOOD NEWS:Although the date of that packages ReadMe file is older, the author's website now offers abundant info on that altiports_alpesxv2.zip package, as well as an updated link to his own custom fitted LOD-11 terrain mesh for use with that package (MeshAlpes.zip):Download Link:http://www.vf-air.com/MeshAlpes.zip(Download and add this to the FSX Scenery Library just below "Alti-0")That LOD-11 terrain mesh "fixes" terain anomalies and tree obstructions on approach to LFLJ Courchevel ! :(FYI: The author recommends against using 'other' and/or more detailed add-on meshes: with his scenerieshttp://translate.goo...%26prmd%3DimvnsAdditionally, the author recomends having installed his entire VF-AIR LIBRARY of scenery objects for use with his scenery packages (VF-AIR.zip):Download Link:http://www.vf-air.com/VF-AIR.zip(Download and add this to the FSX Scenery Library just below the authors LOD-11 "MeshAlpes")Other web pages pertinent to this package... and Altiports in general (Google Translated):http://translate.goo...5Qum91F8hEk8RMwhttp://translate.goo...mNwy0Tt_9wAOiRwUpon a thorough review of this authors documentation in the ReadMe as well as other info on his website, it is apparent that one should not require other "fixes" (beyond his own)... to make the above altiports_alpesxv2.zip package display properly. :wink:Thus, I shall not plan to implement a 3rd party fix for this scenery since the authors own fixes are available via his website.
Oddly, default FSX can't find LFHM, LFHU, or LFKX - the other three French strips.Google says they exist, but FSX must not have modeled them. So no chance of aconflict there.
Be sure to closely examine the FSX ICAO Airport ID list, as SCASM methods this author used have created IDs for these airports in the list, and ex: the Courchevel entry is "LFLJX - Courchevel-X" (add-on) and not "LFLJ - Courchevel" (default).Instead of typing in the airport "text" name, type into the ICAO Airport ID field the 4-character ID (ex: LFHM, LFHU, or LFKX); they should appear in the list if they are installed properly according to the authors ReadMe file.If one selects the add-on LFLJX from the airport list, the flight loads there... and not at the default LFLJ airport location.And since the default LFLJ airport scenery is not being rendered visually, there need be no further concern (IIRC, one cannot remove a default FS airport from the master airports list, but one can substitute an airport under the same ICAO).But because the add-on airport ICAO is 1 character different (LFLJX), it can co-exist in the FSX list with the default LFLJ. :Nerd:Hope this helps... Happy Flying ! B)GaryGB

You either speak French or the translator works better for you. It will take me a while tounderstand what I need to do. Does it look to you like some of his material is payware?I can't tell yet.MH

Once the altiports_alpesxv2.zip package is installed according to authors ReadMe, all you should then need to do is:1.) Download his FREE custom terrain mesh and his FREE object library as I have linked above:http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__23056982.) Add them to FSX scenery library as described above3.) Set FSX terrain mesh complexity to 100 %, and terrain mesh resolution to 10 Meters4.) Set FSX Texture resolution to either ex: 15 cm, 30 cm, or 7 cmBTW: IIRC, in FSX, setting a terrain mesh resolution of 10 M automatically sets texture resolution to 7 cm5.) Start a flight at "LFLJX" Airport ID (the ICAO for that Courchevel add-on airport)Enjoy ! :smile:GaryGB

I see you're watching this. My problem is diminished comprehension due to old age. I'll try to follow this through.MH

Keep up the good work... as I see it, you're getting a grasp on some complexities of FS with each effort you make. :wink:Let us know how the final phases of this scenery configuration go for you. :smile:GaryGB

Well! I would never have been able to gather together the mesh/scenery to make this a success without your help! As hard as I tried, and as many translation Web sites I found, I couldn't find readme files for the mesh and vf-air packages that made much sense in English. And frankly, I didn't see clear install instructions anywhere... I still don't. So I wouldn't have been able to figure out what to do with the material. I'm learning, but I would have had no idea. So thanks very much! I haven't checked out the other airports in this scenery but at Courchevel my starting position is on the tarmac!I'm positioned at an angle to the rwy centerline but I don't have quite the entire length of the rwy in front of me. So after spinning around, putting the main gear just barely on the pavement, and pointing straight down the (very short) visible part of the rwy, I set the brakes, adjust mixture for max rpm, bring up engine speed, release brakes, and go over the edge to a wonderful sight - no trees. I'm very grateful for your assistance!MH

Glad that helped, and you're finally doing some 'Happy Flying' now. ;-)

I haven't checked out the other airports in this scenery but at Courchevel my starting position is on the tarmac!I'm positioned at an angle to the rwy centerline but I don't have quite the entire length of the rwy in front of me. So after spinning around, putting the main gear just barely on the pavement, and pointing straight down the (very short) visible part of the rwy, I set the brakes, adjust mixture for max rpm, bring up engine speed, release brakes, and go over the edge to a wonderful sight - no trees. I'm very grateful for your assistance!MH
1.) Make a ZIP backup of the original \altiports_alpesxv2\alti0\scenery\apalpes.BGL; leave the original intact2.) Make a copy of that original \altiports_alpesxv2\alti0\scenery\apalpes.BGL, and move it into a "work folder"NOTE: The above 'work folder' should be a folder which is not "active" or listed in the FSX scenery library GUINow you can edit the copy of apalpes.BGL in ADE to add a "Start Location":3.) In FSX: put your aircraft of choice in the desired start position (ex: at LFLJX this is over the RWY 05 marker)4.) In ADE: Menu > File > "Open Airport From BGL" (Browse for \altiports_alpesxv2\alti0\scenery\apalpes.BGL)5.) In ADE: Click "Connect" in top right corner of ADE window to get FSX aircraft position synchronized with ADE4.) In ADE: Place Mouse cursor over aircraft (red crosshair by Tower) then right-click (context menu opens)___a.) In ADE: right-click context menu, click Add > "Other Start"___b.) In ADE "Other Start" dialog, set Heading to 49.0 degrees; click "OK" to apply and exit that Start dialog5.) In ADE: Add any other enhancement / fixes you desire at LFLJX and/or other altiports in that BGL6.) In ADE: Menu > File > "Compile Airport" (Browse for apalpes.BGL copy you are editing in ADE); click "Save"7.) Exit FSX to Windows Desktop8.) In My Computer > Windows Explorer: Browse for work folder copy of apalpes.BGL you just edited in ADE___a.) In Windows Explorer: select and copy apalpes.BGL to Windows Clipboard <Ctrl+C>___b.) In Windows Explorer: Browse for \altiports_alpesxv2\alti0\scenery\apalpes.BGL ("active" in FSX scenery library)___c.) In Windows Explorer: select and Paste <Ctrl+V>; at "Overwrite"prompt, click Yes or OK to "Allow" overwrite9.) Restart FSX in a flight at LFLJX to see if your airport "Start Location" has changed10.) Let us know how your airport BGL edit workedEnjoy ! :-)GaryGB