Sign in to follow this  
Kwacker

Terrain warning on final approach and landing

I´ve also got an terrain warning while on approach to RWY 26 in Juneau, but everything was clear down below and the plane was fully configured.

Ryan, did you updated the terrain database over the various patches of the NGX? Maybe te issue is related to an old one?The yellow part seems to end on the runway.A bit strange that the hill finish on the runway.However, it is certainly someting related to Kwacker (What is your full name?, forum rules) installation.If the database is always the same maybe a corrupted installation I think.
They have not been changed since the initial release Andrea.They have always been 27th/July/2011.The way that the NGX reads/handles them has been changed though.Fred.

So, the problem is iin a previous usage of the database or corrupted instal?I just tried to approach to the 25L using the ILS and autopilots.It was a test so I've not programmed FMC and other stuff, I firstly used the default wheater and then ASE, with both I had autopilot issues at around 1000ft, maybe related to something similar to a windshear. Good thing if it was made by ASE, not good because it came out with default wheater.However, this is out of topic, I had no issues with the GPWS landing and no messages about terrain, glide slope, and so on. I have the default scenery.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Maybe. Just install the installer you have, and, if it isn't the latest version, install the SP1b.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

ok - I uninstalled the NGX using remove programs, rebooted, reinstalled my original installer (version from NGX release) and updated with SP1b.Flew RNAV to 25L KPHX - same result as above - yellow terrain near start of runway and pull up warnings. Inhibited EGPWS and landed normally.Anyone have any other ideas :( Simon.

I was checking your screenshot with the others and with what I seen, the problem is not only the yellow part of your terrain, but also the green one, the screen must be almost black with few green areas (in my case wit 5NM range) or with just with few amber areas on both sides as on Fred's screenshots.Why in your plane is different?I can only see that you are on glide slope, GS is armed but at 700ft RA you are in VNAV SPD mode, but I don't think it is related.I think you must try to disable the scenery, see what happen without it, then, if problem is still present, always the same, save the flight and send all the related files saved with a ticket to the support.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Thanks Andrea.I'll break down the problem a little further as you suggest - disable mesh and scenery and see how that goes....Simon.

I ran a test disabling my MegaSceneryX KPHX photoscenery - same result - terrain warning on final to 25L.I'll send the save file to support.Thanks for your help,Simon.

I was suspecting the same result as Ryan told that the database is out from fsx files, I hope they will help you!

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Regarding RNAV into 25L, the reason I was using that is that if I look at the real world routes used on flightaware >95% are via GEELA5. That's published as an RNAV route. A few fly ARLIN3 from KSAN. I assumed as the plate for GEELA5 says RNAV this is what you should use - is it permissible to use ILS from GEELA5? 25L is certainly equipped for it. I've no real idea what is really done in the real world.... :(
The GEELA5 is an RNAV STAR, meaning it requires a plane with a certain level of FMS precision to fly (ie /R, /Q, /E for the equipment "slant code" etc) because the fixes along it are completely "virtual" and exist only in the computer - they aren't defined by radial+DME or by radial/radial and thus can't be flown without an "area navigation" capable FMS. It doesn't mean you have to fly an RNAV approach as well - the STAR and approach are separate things. Honestly 9 times out of 10 at the real KPHX you're getting a visual approach because usually the weather is clear there. The GEELA5 takes you over South Mountain into the Mesa area and you make the turn back toward the airport just east of the major north/south Loop 101 highway that runs through Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, Chandler etc.
I was suspecting the same result as Ryan told that the database is out from fsx files, I hope they will help you!
The database is not "out from FSX files" - it's made using the same source data that all the major terrain mesh products use. We did it that way so no matter what mesh you have installed it should be accurate. The EGPWS isn't designed to be a super high detail topo map of the world or anything like that, it's just designed to keep you from crashing into things you can't see at night or in IMC.I'll go look at the RNAV thing but here's what I suspect is happening:That yellow "blob" in the screenshots in this thread isn't a terrain feature in the database - that's the estimated point of impact into the flat terrain ahead of the runway - I bet the angle in the RNAV approach is actually what's off and it has you "landing" prior to the runway assuming you let it go all the way down without disconnecting the AP.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

When I wrote "out of fsx files" I was meaning that the database is made by you, not linked to sceneries as you explained before.It could be the angle of the addon scenery glide slope? As far as I can see from screenshots it seems to be on GS, so can it be a GS related problem.The path angle of glide slope is stored in the airport afcad, that could be not disabled by disabling the addon scenery.I have no other ideas about.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Andrea, to me what Ryan suggests is a problem with Navigraph data, and to me it sounds logical.Simon, maybe try it with the ILS approach rather than VNAV PATH overlay which I think I see there (G/P is not even active, just armed. You sure you have your altimeter set correctly btw?)

Ryan, thanks for the education on STARs versus approach mode!Peter, the saved flight I sent to Ryan/PMDG support had the same issue into 25L and this was an ILS approach - so I don't think it is anything to do with the approach mode.I think what Ryan is guessing is that the glide slope data is wrong - if so it must be wrong for at least 2 runways and both ILS and RNAV IAPs. Is this data in the Navigraph data package? Assuming so I think I'll install an updated version and see if that resolves it.... I'm on version 1111.Simon.