Sign in to follow this  
NXGFlyer87

Can't make CRZ level

On 1:30/2:00 hr long flights I plan to fly at FL370 but when I reach around FL240 the aircraft really struggles. The aircraft isn't too heavy, I complete good fuel planning, I select 22k takeoff and climb 1 on the N1 limit page on fmc. So I've sort of ruled out the need of step climbing as I think it's really only the heavys that need to do that.Am I doing something wrong, probably in-experienced related. Can someone advise a solution so I can actually climb to a more eco FL? Thanks in advanceCraig

Edited by NXGFlyer87

Outside air temperature too high? Just a thought. FL240 is the pivot point for the FSInn / VATSIM / others(?) temperature inversion issue.Next time it does it, I bet your TAT will read something like +25 when it should be -25.

Edited by Thunderbird8

Yeah that's right! I thought it was weird but I thought it was due airflow over the pitot's causing heat? Is there anyway of countering that issue? I fsinnThanks for the response!

Sorry for chiming in here. I have another solution.Use FSINN Weather below FL180 (or no higher than FL240, but we've found it better to change before FL240), and CAVOK above. FSINN weather is selected by clicking to the right of "VATSIM" on the FSINN Control Panel, and CAVOK (FSX Weather) is selected by clicking to the right of CAVOK on the FSINN Control Panel.Of course the best solution is a weather engine. I have both REX and Active Sky Evolution (ASE), using ASE for the weather engine and REX for textures as I don't care for the EXISTING REX weather engine. But here's the rub, Active Sky 2012 is now out and promises even greater improvements to the weather engine and it now has textures which ASE lacked. But... REX has an upcoming and significant change to it's weather engine, and if what they say is true (sure it is), it's going to be one heck of a decision between the two. I've decided to wait to see how REX's upcoming overhaul works, as ASE plus REX textures is pretty fantastic. I wouldn't want to have to make the decision on whether to pick up Active Sky 2012 or wait for the new REX, that is a very tough decision.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Sorry for chiming in here. I have another solution.Use FSINN Weather below FL180 (or no higher than FL240, but we've found it better to change before FL240), and CAVOK above. FSINN weather is selected by clicking to the right of "VATSIM" on the FSINN Control Panel, and CAVOK (FSX Weather) is selected by clicking to the right of CAVOK on the FSINN Control Panel.Of course the best solution is a weather engine. I have both REX and Active Sky Evolution (ASE), using ASE for the weather engine and REX for textures as I don't care for the EXISTING REX weather engine. But here's the rub, Active Sky 2012 is now out and promises even greater improvements to the weather engine and it now has textures which ASE lacked. But... REX has an upcoming and significant change to it's weather engine, and if what they say is true (sure it is), it's going to be one heck of a decision between the two. I've decided to wait to see how REX's upcoming overhaul works, as ASE plus REX textures is pretty fantastic. I wouldn't want to have to make the decision on whether to pick up Active Sky 2012 or wait for the new REX, that is a very tough decision.
Wow thanks everyone for your responses. I have also bought REX yesterday as it was half price through December and I must say I'm impressed. It is a FPS eater for my little dual core system (with a view of upgrading soon) but it seemed to have made things alot better looking... I like! So would you suggest using Rex and disabling FSInn weather all together or just above FL240? Thanks again everyone for respondingCraig

Not sure if I"m thinking REX or not, but there might be a Dual Core setting. Also, to reduce the impact on frames you can use lower resolution clouds and change your cloud draw distance to 90. There is a lot of support in the REX forums. I only use the textures, so I'm afraid I can't be much more help to you.I'm not a fan of the REX weather engine as I suffered a frame rate hit (you wouldn't think so with a weather engine, but i did) on my i7, which is one of the many reasons i switched to ASE for the weather engine (ASE doesn't have textures).REX's upcoming release, which will be free to existing owners of REX, promises to have a terrific, low impact weather engine (it was totally redesigned).Good luck.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

...So would you suggest using Rex and disabling FSInn weather all together or just above FL240? Thanks again everyone for respondingCraig
I would suggest that you disable FSInn's weather in FSInn's config box. Some times when you click the CAVOK button the weather doesnt get properly disabled and you'll run into the high temperature problem. This will not happen if you disable in entirely. Also, this bug happens before FL240, its just that at FL240 it reaches a point where the temperature gets so high that your plane will stop climbing.

Sorry for chiming in here. I have another solution.Use FSINN Weather below FL180 (or no higher than FL240, but we've found it better to change before FL240), and CAVOK above. FSINN weather is selected by clicking to the right of "VATSIM" on the FSINN Control Panel, and CAVOK (FSX Weather) is selected by clicking to the right of CAVOK on the FSINN Control Panel.
Sorry, but this is incorrect- CAVOK is an abbreviation for Clouds And Visibility OK. It does not put FSX weather back in, but rather it clears out all weather- extremely unrealistic to not have any upper winds. It is recommended that you completely disable FSINN weather, and do the following:To the OP- I recommend getting a weather engine like Active Sky 2012, or something that can use direct control through SimConnect. Programs like Real Enviornment Extreme can cause stutters and sky flashes when loading in weather because they use a depiction mode that loads in weather for the surrounding airports. Active Sky is also the only program to simulate Wake Turnulence, accurately depict hurricanes, and has some of the best textures I've seen for clouds and runways (I was a previous REX2 Overdrive user) Edited by FDX016 - Nick

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Thanks everyone again for your support, I'll have a little think and trial and error session and see what happens. Craig