•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo

Anyone still flying the 747? You still like it?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 pampiermole

pampiermole

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 3 Months and 21 Days Ago.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

I started a flight in my good old 747. I have not done that for over a year. The graphics of the NGX are outstanding, so I thought (with the NGX in mind) that the Queen would look terrible to me (like you play a videogame from the 90s). So I started the sim and I was surprised that she looked allright. She wasn't too bad anyway. Maybe the flightdeck of the md11 looks worse. How many of you are still flying the Queen? Do you still like here?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 G7USL

G7USL

'MYAir Virtual' Senior Captain

• Members
  • 4,572 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 10 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

I used to fly it all the time but as you know, we all move on a bit and love to fly the latest stuff and make comparisons. The queen is so damn easy to fly IMO and because of this, It's nice to fly others but the only one that is close to my heart is the fabulous MD-11. It has a different characturistic to all the others.It was the ITVV DVD of the Ruud Bakker and Robert Lenz as FO that did it for me as before I didn't really like the look of the MD at all. I totally reccomend that for inspiring flying. Happy New Year to everyone.

#3 fakeflyer737

fakeflyer737

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,600 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 11 Months and 9 Days Ago.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

I used to fly the Queen all the time, but when the NGX got released that was it, over, done with it. I can't touch it, the NGX is just too much better!

#4 Ioan92

Ioan92

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,371 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 5 Months and 25 Days Ago.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Queen all the way, I just can't stop.

#5 hasse29

hasse29

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 11 Months and 27 Days Ago.

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

I'm flying it every day and now I just took off from LHBP going to KLAX. I love this airplane.PS. Merry Christmas to all russians and other who celibrates now. DS

Edited by hasse29, 07 January 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#6 X_Man

X_Man

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 3 Months and 24 Days Ago.

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

I am still flying the B748 too - won't be getting the NGX until the ER versions.

#7 Tom Allensworth

Tom Allensworth

Publisher & CEO

• Root Admin
  • 12,938 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 4 Months and 25 Days Ago.

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

I am still flying the B748 too - won't be getting the NGX until the ER versions.

Ryan and Rob spent so much time trying to teach me how to use the FMC, that I always felt that I would be doing them a disservice if I flew anything else. I do have the NGX and have puttered around the circuits a couple of times (when I could start the thing), but I have to tell you, I graduated from the Queen to the OV-10 Bronco and am loving it! :( Seriously... I fly the 744 and 748 most of all and usually everytime I fire up FSX.

#8 mhking

mhking

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 11 Months and 3 Days Ago.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

I used to fly it all the time but as you know, we all move on a bit and love to fly the latest stuff and make comparisons. The queen is so damn easy to fly IMO and because of this, It's nice to fly others but the only one that is close to my heart is the fabulous MD-11. It has a different characturistic to all the others.It was the ITVV DVD of the Ruud Bakker and Robert Lenz as FO that did it for me as before I didn't really like the look of the MD at all. I totally reccomend that for inspiring flying. Happy New Year to everyone.

Yap MD-11 is in my hearth too the best plane I flown before 737 ngx I could even flew the real md-11 too :))

#9 captainklm

captainklm

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,014 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 11 Months and 27 Days Ago.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

Im still flying it, especially for my VA

#10 aceridgey

aceridgey

Member - 2,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 2,824 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 7 Months and 13 Days Ago.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

I am still flying her regularly, absolutely beautiful aircraft and fantastic to simulate real world ops!

#11 Jude Bradley

Jude Bradley

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,332 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 4 Months and 16 Days Ago.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Sorry to disagree,but I prefer the MD-11.Maybe there was too much cold-turkey going from the NGX to 747 :(

#12 Jude Bradley

Jude Bradley

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,332 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 4 Months and 16 Days Ago.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

I bought the 748i., loved the sounds and external model,but trying to fly it with TrackIR is too much.Try the tutorial flight on the MD-11 and it might get you started again.I admit I hadn't flown it in a few years,but I've fallen in love with it again now. (cross between Airbus and Boeing systems), and let's face it, the NGX and 747 systems have too much comonality in systems.

#13 magnetite

magnetite

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 7 Months and 5 Days Ago.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

Haven't touched the 747-8i once the NGX came out. Kind of miss it. Maybe I should do a flight with it one of these days.

#14 Cristiano Mueller

Cristiano Mueller

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 16 Days Ago.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

I still fly the Queen. Although the graphics have already been overcome by many aircraft, I consider it a nice plane to be flown.

Edited by Cristiano Mueller, 31 January 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#15 Thralni

Thralni

AVSIM Staff

• AVSIM Staff
  • 2,602 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 5 Months and 20 Days Ago.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

I rarely fly the queen now. Used to fly her everywhere, but ever since I got the Airbus X working correctly, and I bought the PMDG 737NGX, those are the planes I fly most, closely followed by the Leonardo Maddog. However, now that my interest in the 747-8F has been renewed after seeing the real one taking off, I'll probably start flying that one more often for Cargolux around Europe and the USA, and around Asia. although at the moment I prefer the MD-11 because of its different systems. I find it more fun to fly (funny, eh? It's only a few months ago that I hated every aspect of the MD-11 systems).