Sign in to follow this  
pampiermole

Anyone still flying the 747? You still like it?

I used to fly it all the time but as you know, we all move on a bit and love to fly the latest stuff and make comparisons. The queen is so damn easy to fly IMO and because of this, It's nice to fly others but the only one that is close to my heart is the fabulous MD-11. It has a different characturistic to all the others.It was the ITVV DVD of the Ruud Bakker and Robert Lenz as FO that did it for me as before I didn't really like the look of the MD at all. I totally reccomend that for inspiring flying. Happy New Year to everyone.
Hi G7USL,that video is the best I ever saw in operating an MD-11! I think I saw it a million times but still interesting!The "old" 747 is still worth to fly, great plane and I´m still using it with pleasure! Especially landing with such a big birdis a great experience(TNCM my favourite)Greetins

Sven Wendel

With my VRInsight CDU panel, I love flying the Queen! Just did KLAX to Beijing, best flight I've ever done!Long live the Queen!

I haven't flown anything in almost 2 years. Real life keeps getting in the way. I hate it when that happens.

Im flying her right now.. Although I dont use her for pacific routes only for transcon from LAX-JFK... PMDG 747 was the first plane I ever bought in FSX so she hold a special place in my heart.. But all I fly in FSX is 747X, MD-11X and the NGX... Both depends on my mood for that day...

Carlitos Colon

Sven,

Yep, the landing is it isn't it! Nothing better than to see the 747 squatting on the mains after touchdown. Something very satifsying about it and nothing looks better on climb out particularly from the tower view. Love the NGX and wish the 744 VC was better than what it was (perhaps in V2?) but I keep coming back to it.

Gerry

I don't fly Long Haul a whole bunch, but when I tend to fly the 748 version (Mostly for the slighly better Frames, and nicer sound pack). In is stil a perfectly fine add on. In fact, even though I'll be branded a heretic for saying this: I'm unlikely to buy v2.0 because the existing one is good enough for my limited long haul.

I still fly the Queen now and then tho the MD-11F is my go-to long hauler. Looking foward to 747v2

I used to fly the Queen all the time, but when the NGX got released that was it, over, done with it. I can't touch it, the NGX is just too much better!

Same for me Ron. Prior to the NGX I used to fly the Queen and the LDS 767 for 95% of my simming in FSX, but once the NGX came out I haven't spent time in either. Well actually, I did try a flight in the LDS767 a few weeks ago, but after about 10 minutes into the departure I couldn't take the look of the older VC and longer and quit the flight. I have yet to try the 744 again, but once I got used to the great looking VC in the NGX it makes it hard to fly any of my other tubes that dont have an equally good looking VC and all the functions that the NGX offers. Plus the NGX and the 737 in general is my favorite a/c to fly in the sim anyway, the 767 and 747 were just stand in's for me while I waited for the NGX.

BTW, for kicks I installed FS9 last week and put the old PMDG 737NG in. Man, I hate to say it, but the VC in the FS9 version looks horrid compared to the NGX. It had been so long since I had seen it that I didn't remember it looking that bad, but after seeing it again after all these years I cant believe that at one time I though it looked great. Just goes to show how far PMDG has come in developing since the old days.

I look forward the the new 744 and will probably buy it the day its released. Kind of on the fence with the 777 though since its not an a/c that I have really had much interest in.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Since the NGX I have mostly "retired" the 747X and MD-11, now I mostly stick to the NGX and J41 and eagerly await the 777 and 747v2.

I do pop back into the MD-11 from time to time partly because I really like the aircraft and partly to break up my 'Boeing' muscle memory :P

For me before the NGX I was in the MD-11 75% of the time, J41 20% and 747X 5%, not because I don't like the 747 however, it just felt a little old but I will get a lot of use of the 747v2 when it comes (if you can get me out of the 777).

Almost ashamed to admit it, but since september I have flown over 2 000 h with the queen and enjoy her more and more for each day.

Trying to get back on PMDG 744 after hundred of hours on LevelD 767. It's not so easy because strong winds above ocean make 744 autopilot turn left and right with huge bank angle. In best case it consumes a lot of jet fuel, in worst - goes down really hard. Another problem is fake fire on all engines when flaps start to extend. Not sure if I can struggle with this long time 8-(