Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

A Fatal Error Occurred?

I realize there are countless threads related to this issue and I apologize for adding another. I am afraid that is part of my problem. There are so many with so many different scenarios that I am overlooking exactly my problem and/or solution.When flying an FSX flightplan, near my destination and often on final I get the following error window. It is not consistant. Sometimes it occurs while at others the flight is completed with no problem. It is not unique to any particular aircraft, airport, or anything else that I can put my finger on. The problem has been around as a hit or miss occurance for quite some time. FS9 does not seem to have this problem. An example follows:1. Flightplan: KLWB-KBTR2. Aircraft: The RFS Design North American Navion3. Altitude: 6,000 feet4. Waypoints: KLWB-BFK-BLF-GZG-FARLI-:VXV-VUZ-LDK-MEI-LBY-PCU-SNAKI-KMSY5. When just about ready to turn right for final on Runway 1 at KMSY I get the following:"A fatal error occurred"FSX is locked upIt gives me the checkmark option for restarting FSX upon closure of the error window.To my knowledge, I have no duplicate files, although I never have fully understood exactly how to implement the ScuffyDuck Locator. I have tried to implement the old ScanAFD program that was used for FS9, but have so far found no way to get it to work for FSX..I also have the Easy Duplicate Finder downloaded and can scan with it, but it is payware which I have not purchased, so the "FIX" capability is not enabled. I am not sure I would be brave enough to activate it anyway in the fear that it would remove things I don't want to loose. If anyone uses this tool, I would be interested in your input.If anyone has had this exact problem and possibly knows a solution, your help sure would be greatly appreciated.Respectully:RTHSystem Specs are as follow:Primary Computer:ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel ATX MotherboardIntel Core i7-975 Extreme Quad Core CPUScythe SY124010L CPU Fan6GB (3x2GB) 240 Pin DDR3 1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK MemoryWinXP Pro 64 BitEVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512 bigt DDR3 Video Graphics Card24" Viewsonic VA2431wm LCD Primary Monitor24" Viewsonic VA2431wm LCD Secondary MonitorNvidia version 270.61 drivers for GTX 285 Video Card1 Western Digital Velco/Raptor WD3000HLFS 300 GB 10000RPM WATA 3 GB System Harddrive1 Western Digital Velco/Raptor WD3000HLFS 300 GB 10000RPM WATA 3 GB FSX Harddrive1 each Segate 320GB SATA FS9 Harddrive1 each Segate 320GB SATA Backup / Utility HarddriveStd. Floppy Drive2 Each CDRW/DVDRWPlusDeck 2C Audio Tape Player/RecorderKonica Minolta magicolor 2400W Laser PrinterCH Pro USB PedalsCH USB FlightSim YokeMicrosoft FFB2 USB JoystickLogitech Keyless KeyboardLogitech cordless mouseHigh Speed Cable Internet/email Service with RouterCorsair HX1000W Modular 1000 Watt Power SupplySuperPower ATX Full Tower Case with sides Customized for more ventilationNote: Keyboard and Mouse are shared with a secondary Core 2 Duo Computer for WinXP Pro 32 bit programs, WideFS6 (FS9) and Wide FS7 (FSX). Implementation is by Synergy Free Software.Note: CPU Overclocked to 4.0. GPU is not overclockedSecondary Computer (Simconnect)ASUS P5N-SLI MotherboardIntel E6600 Core2 Duo CPUZalman CNPS7700-CU RT CPU Fan4 GB KST DII800 MemoryWinXP Pro 32 BitNVIDIA Evga Geforce 8400GS 512MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card23" HPw2338h LCD Primary Monitor21" Viewsonic Pro Series P815 Secondary MonitorNavidia version 182.50 drivers for Video Card1 each Segate 250GB UIDE Harddrive1 Each Segate 80GB SATA Harddrive1 each Maxtar 40GB UIDE HarddriveStd. Floppy DriveCDRW/DVDRWWINTVHP 4315v Printer/Fax/Scanner/CopierEpson Perfection 2480 Photo ScannerMicroTech Z!O! Flash Card ReaderAudigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound to Creative Inspire 5.1 5200 SpeakersBFGR 1000 Watt Power SupplyNote: Keyboard and Mouse are shared with a primary i7-975 Computer for WinXP Pro 64 bit programs, WideFS6 (FS9) and Wide FS7 (FSX). Implementation is by Synergy Free Software.

Have you looked in Event Viewer to see what the faulting module was? It may give a clue as to whether it was memory related or otherwise. Most CTD scenarios in FSX are memory related.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Thanks for the reply twright:In my event viewer, I see the following for about the time I got my fatal errors the past two mornings for the flight in question: but I am afraid I do not really know what it specifically means, or what to do about it if this is the problem. All "Types" are "Information" with the exception of the following:Under Computer Management (Local) > System Tools > Event Viewer > Application"Type: Error; Date 1/3/2012; Time 5:55:14; Source Aplication Error; Category None; Event 1000; User N/A; Computer RogersType: Error; Date 1/3/2012; Time 5:52:22; Source Aplication Error; Category None; Event 1000; User N/A; Computer RogersWhen I double click on these line items, under "Event Properties" the "Desciption" is:"Faulting application iexplore.exe version 8.0.6001.18702, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0. falult address 0x0287229"and :"Faulting application iexplore.exe version 8.0.6001.18702, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0. falult address 0x002a2951"Under Computer Management (Local) > System Tools > Event Viewer > System"Type: Warning; Date 1/3/2012; Time 4:57:35; Source Aplication W32Time; Category None; Event 36; User N/A; Computer RogersType: Error; Date 1/2/2012; Time 4:57:38; Source Service Control Manager; Category None; Event 7023; User N/A; Computer RogersType: Error; Date 1/2/2012; Time 4:57:34; Source DCOM; Category None; Event 10016; User Local Service; Computer Rogers Type: Error; Date 1/2/2012; Time 4:57:34; Source DCOM; Category None; Event 10016; User Local Service; Computer RogersWhen I double click on these line items, under "Event Properties" the "Desciption" is:""The WUSB54Gv425VC service termianated with the following error: The parameter is incorrect.""The machine default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM sERVER APPLICATION WITH CLSID (555F3418D99E1-eE51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7) to the user NT-AUTHORITYLOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Componet Services administrative tool.""The machine default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM sERVER APPLICATION WITH CLSID (555F3418D99E1-eE51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7) to the user NT-AUTHORITYLOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Componet Services administrative tool."I hope this means more to you than it does to me in my ignorance.Thanks again.RTH

Have you looked in Event Viewer to see what the faulting module was? It may give a clue as to whether it was memory related or otherwise. Most CTD scenarios in FSX are memory related.

Guest jahman
When I double click on these line items, under "Event Properties" the "Desciption" is:"Faulting application iexplore.exe version 8.0.6001.18702, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0. falult address 0x0287229"and :"Faulting application iexplore.exe version 8.0.6001.18702, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0. falult address 0x002a2951"
That's Internet Explorer v. 8.
Under Computer Management (Local) > System Tools > Event Viewer > System"Type: Warning; Date 1/3/2012; Time 4:57:35; Source Aplication W32Time; Category None; Event 36; User N/A; Computer RogersType: Error; Date 1/2/2012; Time 4:57:38; Source Service Control Manager; Category None; Event 7023; User N/A; Computer RogersType: Error; Date 1/2/2012; Time 4:57:34; Source DCOM; Category None; Event 10016; User Local Service; Computer RogersType: Error; Date 1/2/2012; Time 4:57:34; Source DCOM; Category None; Event 10016; User Local Service; Computer Rogers
W32Time is the Windows Time Sync service.DCOM is Distributertd Component Module, Microsoft's architecture for multi-part software.
When I double click on these line items, under "Event Properties" the "Desciption" is:""The WUSB54Gv425VC service termianated with the following error: The parameter is incorrect."
There might be a problem with a USB port.
"The machine default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM sERVER APPLICATION WITH CLSID (555F3418D99E1-eE51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7) to the user NT-AUTHORITYLOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Componet Services administrative tool."
COM Server is the server in a DCOM client-server pair. Search your registry for the ClassID shown in red to see which object (.exe or .dll) is being referenced.Also make sure all your MSVC and .NET are fully up-yo-date by enabling Windows Update.Since your PC is attempting to connect to web at the time you are approaching your flightplan destination, I would suspect the problem lies with retrieving the destination weather via the FSX default dynamic weather or a weather add-on like ASE, REX or FEX.Cheers,- jahman. Edited by jahman

Thanks Jahman:I will try default weather for a while and see what happens.RTH

That's Internet Explorer v. 8.W32Time is the Windows Time Sync service.DCOM is Distributertd Component Module, Microsoft's architecture for multi-part software.There might be a problem with a USB port.COM Server is the server in a DCOM client-server pair. Search your registry for the ClassID shown in red to see which object (.exe or .dll) is being referenced.Also make sure all your MSVC and .NET are fully up-yo-date by enabling Windows Update.Since your PC is attempting to connect to web at the time you are approaching your flightplan destination, I would suspect the problem lies with retrieving the destination weather via the FSX default dynamic weather or a weather add-on like ASE, REX or FEX.Cheers,- jahman.

Jahman:Your observation below may have some merit relative to my situation."Since your PC is attempting to connect to web at the time you are approaching your flightplan destination, I would suspect the problem lies with retrieving the destination weather via the FSX default dynamic weather or a weather add-on like ASE, REX or FEX."I typically implement ASE. I flew KLWB-KMSY, my flightplan originally posted in this thread twice with ASE and got a fatal error each time near my approach to final. I then just flew the same plan useing the MSFS default weather with 15 min. updates for real weather. The flight was flawless with no fatal error or any other problem.I will duplicate this scenario a number of times both ways to see if it proves anything, so this will take quite a while, probably a few days. If the problem does prove to be ASE, then the next question will be what to do about it. If worse comes to worse, I could disable AE just a few mins. before reaching destinations as weather should not change drastically for the remaining brief time during the flight (assuming that works). I sure would like to know exactly the problem, and solution though.Thanks Jahman. RTH

Guest jahman

Once you are sure ASE is causing the problem, you can "patch" ASE by getting the AS2012 Upgrade which is terrific!Cheers,- jahman.

Guest firehawk44
Once you are sure ASE is causing the problem, you can "patch" ASE by getting the AS2012 Upgrade which is terrific!Cheers,- jahman.
Good one! But ASE was just patched again too (with a Beta). So life in both environments is good....Best regards,Jim

Conclusions:School is still out and time will tell whether my solution remains, or the problem raises its head again. However, so far, Jahman's suggestion seems to be where the problem originated. I repeated the exact flight of my original post in this thread over and over again multiple times in three ways. First, with nothing changed implementing ASE weather. Secondly, the same flight but implementing MSFSX default real weather updated every 15 mins. Thirdly, with a newly upgraded ASE weather. The results were as follows:1. ASE Weather: Fatal errors each flight when near or on final approach to my destination.2. MSFSX Default Weather: Faultless flights.3. Reinstalled ASE SP1. Reinstalled ASE SP2. Reinstalled ASE SP3. Installed SP4 Beta. With ASE now: faultless flights.I may be premature in my conclusions but hopefully this will hold up now with other flights. Time will tell.Thanks again Jahman. I wish I had the knowledge to interpret event properties in the event viewer, but I am afraid I don't really know what I am looking at.Respectfully:RTH

Guest jahman
Thanks again Jahman.
You're welcome! Keep the shiny side up!Cheers,- jahman.