Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

Prepar3D version 2.0?

We are looking at upgrading from DX9 to DX11.
I think most folks are interested in learning if there will be any core code improvements. Obviously, you have touched on one. But... are there others such as the WAY in which the sim processes data. Right now. FSX has been thought of as CPU intensive, not passing off data to the graphics card... AND... the dreaded stutters... Is the core code being looked at to eliminate the halts and jerks that can happen even with a fast CPU/vid card?

I think most folks are interested in learning if there will be any core code improvements. Obviously, you have touched on one. But... are there others such as the WAY in which the sim processes data. Right now. FSX has been thought of as CPU intensive, not passing off data to the graphics card... AND... the dreaded stutters... Is the core code being looked at to eliminate the halts and jerks that can happen even with a fast CPU/vid card?
Good question... If we can alleviate blurries and have improved texture loading....mmm... Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I have read in a couple of places that the current P3D version has all but eliminated 'blurries' already. Can anyone confirm?With the updating work that LM are doing, I am very excited about P3D v2. Looking forward to hearing more about it and it will be interesting to see if there are any new licence options by the time v2 is released.$10 a month or not, it would be great to have a constantly updated simulator. The P3D forum over at LM has already given a taster.....bugs reported to dev team and then.........fixed!!!!!!We haven't had that with ANY version of MSFS, so we may want to consider the $10 per month as a sort of development and support fee.

I won't say Flight is bad before I've seen it myself and so I also won't say P3D is the future before I've seen 2.0 myself. :( They can say and promise anything they want, but we've had promises before... When it comes to flight sims seeing is believing.FSX runs great on my pc and I will enjoy it until I know for certain P3D 2.0 is a LOT better indeed.

I completed my first proper flight in P3D yesterday, I had the PMDG 737 NGX, UK2000 Airports, Traffic X AI and REX Weather Engine and all went swimmingly! I noticed only a couple of minor glitches with the NGX (a couple of warning light flickering on and off for a few seconds, and a gap in the packs sound every so often) but otherwise perfect! The FPS was up at 27 - 30 (I have P3D limited to 30FPS) when in the VC! Much better than my FSX installation, which is set (i believe) with similar settings to the P3D install (some sliders have been changed and a couple of new ones for the water effects etc have been added) In FSX on the same flight I would get maybe 17 -20FPS at best and could go down much further (i've seen 4fps in some areas!!). Theres still the mouse fps issue that is also in FSX (the FPS drops when the mouse pointer is on the screen) but hopefully that will be fixed in a subsequent version.Over all I'm very impressed with P3D. The only real downside is the monthly sub, but for me it worked out fine as the MMO i play is going Free2play this month, so was able to cancel that sub and use the money for P3D instead, plus is about £4 cheaper!!edit: just remembered that there was one annoyance, when you get an ATC message, and you click on the ATC window, then Sim looses focus and clicking the X to close the ATC window results in a gap in the sound until you click back onto the sim screen! I am going to try Radar Contact to see if that will work with P3D so hopefully wont be a problem.

Edited by Ayster

It seems like P3D is simply FSX updated in the method that Laminar Research update their product, but for $10 a month instead of a one-time fee. The price is definately worth it considering FSX was a great platform that needed some loving tweaks that MS must have considered a lost cause. I have high hopes for P3D, especially with V2 on the horizon and all the updates already done, sounds like a winner. After all, $10 a month is like skipping a meal at McDonalds one night and eating at home instead.

I completed my first proper flight in P3D yesterday, I had the PMDG 737 NGX, UK2000 Airports, Traffic X AI and REX Weather Engine
Whoa whoa whoa... does pmdg aircraft work in P3D?As far as the price... I am paying $25 a month to play star war the old republic online, that was on top of the 60 bucks for the game. These guys seem to be active, I am just a tad worried about it taking off and some of us being tempted to being too pushy and forcing them to cut off communication.

Tyson Rose

Whoa whoa whoa... does pmdg aircraft work in P3D?
As it has been mentioned at least 50 times already... yes. Please just check, you need to open 1-2 threads to find the answer on that, especially which.

I have been out of the loop for a good year... I assumed it wouldn't work since the PMDG guy made a big post and didn't mention P3D at all. That is very interesting...

Tyson Rose

edit: just remembered that there was one annoyance, when you get an ATC message, and you click on the ATC window, then Sim looses focus and clicking the X to close the ATC window results in a gap in the sound until you click back onto the sim screen! I am going to try Radar Contact to see if that will work with P3D so hopefully wont be a problem.
There is an option somewhere in the settings about when the sim loses focus, set it correctly and the sound will not disappear.

I have been out of the loop for a good year... I assumed it wouldn't work since the PMDG guy made a big post and didn't mention P3D at all. That is very interesting...
He did later on: LM didn't reply any of the PMDG mails so they aren't really on speaking terms right now...BTW Beware what addons you are going to use in P3D because some developers regard that as breaching the EULA and want you to pay extra money for using software you already paid for in P3D!

He did later on: LM didn't reply any of the PMDG mails so they aren't really on speaking terms right now...BTW Beware what addons you are going to use in P3D because some developers regard that as breaching the EULA and want you to pay extra money for using software you already paid for in P3D!
I agree, to a point Jeroen, I guess it's a little like buying a CD of your favourite band and then having to pay again to download it to your ipod. You have already paid for the music, which in turn pays for the rights, royalties, production etc. so why have to pay again. Sure, if you buy a vinyl and then a CD these are too different media, so you are paying for the manufacture of the different products, but in the digital world this no longer holds true. OK, I appreciate there are some costs involved with rewriting some kind of code to port FSX enabled addons across to P3D, but hey, just how much is this cost? Considerable, or are devs simply looking at this whole P3D thing as an opportunity to cash in? I'm only playing devil,s advocate here fellas, so these views are only lightweight and thrown into the debate, I'm unsure I endorse my own views completely to be honest, but thoughtful enough to think, well...?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

I agree, to a point Jeroen, I guess it's a little like buying a CD of your favourite band and then having to pay again to download it to your ipod. You have already paid for the music, which in turn pays for the rights, royalties, production etc. so why have to pay again. Sure, if you buy a vinyl and then a CD these are too different media, so you are paying for the manufacture of the different products, but in the digital world this no longer holds true. OK, I appreciate there are some costs involved with rewriting some kind of code to port FSX enabled addons across to P3D, but hey, just how much is this cost? Considerable, or are devs simply looking at this whole P3D thing as an opportunity to cash in? I'm only playing devil,s advocate here fellas, so these views are only lightweight and thrown into the debate, I'm unsure I endorse my own views completely to be honest, but thoughtful enough to think, well...?
It's interesting, right? :( So I just opened a topic about this herehttp://forum.avsim.n...or-free-or-not/I don't want to hijack any other topics with this. -_-EDITWould you mind to copy your post into that new topic? It's a good starter for a discussion. Edited by J van E

It's interesting, right? :( So I just opened a topic about this herehttp://forum.avsim.n...or-free-or-not/I don't want to hijack any other topics with this. -_-EDITWould you mind to copy your post into that new topic? It's a good starter for a discussion.
Sure...

Howard

Hi, this is a known problem that has been fixed and will be in the next update. Just affects add-ons that add menu items and only when P3D exits. Developers have been kicked and beaten appropriately.John
Hi John, Can you make any remarks about the possible changes that may be included in version 1.3? perhaps some detail if at all possible? If not I understand especially if you are still working on these fixes. No need to talk about further versions as I know this question has been thrashed. Also, as i'm on this topic, can you detail how the incremental updates (1.3, 1.4 etc...) will be published (i.e. will they integrate into the current installer package) and will full builds such as v2.0, 3.0 etc... be a whole new installer package that will need to be downloaded? PS. please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong topic. As I familiarise with the forum I will learn where posts should go. Many thanks. Edited by kelvinr