Sign in to follow this  
Alan_A

PMDG and X-Plane: Some Clarification

In the course of a long post on PMDG's history with Microsoft Flight, Robert S. Randazzo, who heads PMDG, comments on X-Plane as a potential future platform for PMDG.There's some additional detail in this post.The short version is that it seems that PMDG is actively investigating X-Plane 10 as a future platform via a test project, but is not yet able or willing to make a commitment to it.The thread as a whole provides a very interesting window into the state of play among flight simulation platforms.I thought Mr. Randazzo's commentary might be of interest here, given the speculation that surfaces from time to time about a PMDG "move" into X-Plane, and also given the discussions we've had about the challenges and opportunities involved in developing for X-Plane.I hope you find this worthwhile - and that we can keep the conversation here as civil and mature as the one on the PMDG forum.

I read the whole commentary by Robert Randazzo and found it quite uplifting. I was delighted that PMDG are looking at developing and, or porting some of their products for X-Plane. Just the fact they are considering it is huge for X-Plane. I hope Laminar take advantage of this golden opportunity and do everything possible to bring them over.

In the course of a long post on PMDG's history with Microsoft Flight, Robert S. Randazzo, who heads PMDG, comments on X-Plane as a potential future platform for PMDG.There's some additional detail in this post.The short version is that it seems that PMDG is actively investigating X-Plane 10 as a future platform via a test project, but is not yet able or willing to make a commitment to it.The thread as a whole provides a very interesting window into the state of play among flight simulation platforms.I thought Mr. Randazzo's commentary might be of interest here, given the speculation that surfaces from time to time about a PMDG "move" into X-Plane, and also given the discussions we've had about the challenges and opportunities involved in developing for X-Plane.I hope you find this worthwhile - and that we can keep the conversation here as civil and mature as the one on the PMDG forum.
Sounds like they are porting over one of thier planes to me !!!!!'With all of that said, we have been very well supported by Laminar Research. They have been gracious in providing us with copies of the release version of XPlane10 to work with- and as previously mentioned I am adding someone to the team who will be spearheading the process of porting one of our existing aircraft into Xplane10.""What we learn and how well that process goes will, to a large degree, dictate whether we choose to support that platform in the long run."

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

It's impossible (literally) to port over the entire aircraft. Any programming they have done will have to be started again. Unless they started it a couple of years ago.If it's their Beech aircraft, then that's a different story.

It's impossible (literally) to port over the entire aircraft. Any programming they have done will have to be started again. Unless they started it a couple of years ago.If it's their Beech aircraft, then that's a different story.
I am sure they are using the word loosely.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

It's also not clear that their "port," whatever it is, will ever see the light of day. What they're describing sounds like a proof of concept. If they're not satisfied with the results, they could always opt not to release it.

What they're describing sounds like a proof of concept. If they're not satisfied with the results, they could always opt not to release it.
Sure, but what should they do. They have to try it with one of their models. Hey have to learn where their biggest problems are and how to get around them. They could easily find out: Yes, in principle it works but exactly this model doesn't fit. Or they could find some other trouble and have to work with Laminar around it. You have to start somewhere.

Sounds like they are porting over one of thier planes to me !!!!!'With all of that said, we have been very well supported by Laminar Research. They have been gracious in providing us with copies of the release version of XPlane10 to work with- and as previously mentioned I am adding someone to the team who will be spearheading the process of porting one of our existing aircraft into Xplane10.""What we learn and how well that process goes will, to a large degree, dictate whether we choose to support that platform in the long run."
To me it sounds more like they are trying to figure out what it would take to port over one of their aircraft from FSX to X-Plane. Edited by manuthie

This is great news :)And the fact that PMDG now has announced a pilot project will without a doubtmake the rest of the big commercial company's in FS consider the same!Then the ball starts rolling...- The biggest challenge for them will be porting over the (systems)code, but as he states, their latest projectshave already been coded with this in mind (737NGX, 777). So it is likely it's one of those they are working on for XP.- Then there is the flightmodel which is new territory for them.At IXEG we welcome this and if they need any hints they are always free to contact us :)M

While not a "firm" commitment to X-Plane it is quite encouraging to read Mr Randazzo's comments regarding potential involvement.It will be interesting to see if down the road certain other developers *cough ORBX cough* become more open-minded regarding X-Plane possibilities. I would cheerfully ignore and forgive any previous negative commentary on the subject by *cough ORBX* individuals if it meant bringing further high quality options to the table.With the already excellent present day native XP developers coupled with crossovers like Carenado, Aerosoft, and now potentially PMDG the future of X-Plane seems brighter than ever.It is a shame however that all the talk is regarding XPX which is really still in a beta stage. Why ignore the existing XP9.7 userbase :( .And Goran...before you jump on me I have a new gfx card and will be reloading the XPX demo once I finish my current project :( .

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

wait until at least the beatufil clouds are back. beta 10 ***** big time. Austin and Ben now really have to 1. make the thing stable (and beautiful again) and 2. put the tools on the table and 3. improve HDR performance.XP10 was rushed. It's time for a 10.1 version that is a least stable and shows the visuals like version 9 (= no cloud triangles, no "broken" horizons etc.pp.). No one should wonder that developers and users still ask a lot of valid questions.

I suspect at this crucial time PMDG could do with a good engineer with a deep understanding of X-Plane that comes from years of producing models for it.So MortenM.........make them an offer they can't refuse !!!!