Sign in to follow this  
Randalicous

Autogen suddenly popping in

Hi. Can anyone tell me the basics of what causes Autogen to suddenly appear at a specific distance. When im about 2000ft up I can see autogen suddenly popping up in the distance. Its noticeable for me to see it on most occassions. Is there a setting or a CFG change that dictates the distance away this will happen or the intensity of the amount of objects that suddenly appear. I have bojotes cfg on my machine. It runs very smoothly at the moment, its just the autogen popping up, at times takes away the illusion of immersion at times. I can live with it, but if there is a way of experimenting on its frequency I would give it a go.The only time it become completely un-life like, was when I landed at a remote strip in the new Orbx NZ package, where a bunch of sheep suddenly appeared right infront of my nose on the runway. Not sure if the two are connected and the sheep would have been autogen or not.ThanksSteve.

Sadly this is one of those "errors" that Microsoft never fixed. You'll just have to live with it.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Autogen "popping" is normal for FSX as it doesn't use the fade in feature like FS9.Increase the LOD_RADIUS=4.5 TO 10.5. This will hit your performance and incraes load times so you might need a lower number for your computer.[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS=10.0Dave

Yes as others have said its a limitation in the way the FSX engine works. It is set to load the objects a fixed distance away and when you reach that distance they just appear. It does not have alpha fade, like the more sofisticated sims do, where objects fade in smoothly as you approach them.I believe that adjusting the LOD radius as others are suggesting will not make a difference. This will only alter the distance at which terrain textures are loaded (a fix for 'the blurries'). Autogen load distance is fixed and cannot be adjusted.There is one tweak in Bojote's CFG which affects autogen. If you look down the file you will see a line SMALL_PART_REJECT_RADIUS=X. If you take this out, it will stop objects appearing at close range, but will not affect objects in the distance.

Edited by twright

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

There is one tweak in Bojote's CFG which affects autogen. If you look down the file you will see a line SMALL_PART_REJECT_RADIUS=X. If you take this out, it will stop objects appearing at close range, but will not affect objects in the distance.
Not quite right afaik.... It will affect objects that are smaller in pixels then the setting you use. If you use =2 every autogen object that's 2 pixels or smaller won't be displayed. They will popup when they become 3 pixels in size. This may help performance a little because far away objects which you won't notice anyway (because they are very small and distant), won't be shown. So yes, this does mean that some objects will popup when you get closer, but it DOES affect objects in the distance only. Edited by J van E

the only hope now... is Prepar3D version2, hope they manage to include alpha fade autogen in the update.
We are looking at LOD blending to stop object popping and it is on the roadmap. Just note that V2 is still some time away, like a LOOOONG time away, so enjoy 1.x for a while. There is a massive amount of work that needs to be done as you might imagine to update the engine.

We are looking at LOD blending to stop object popping and it is on the roadmap. Just note that V2 is still some time away, like a LOOOONG time away, so enjoy 1.x for a while. There is a massive amount of work that needs to be done as you might imagine to update the engine.
Hi,Glad to know you guys are working on this, and appreciate you letting us know.RegardsBob
Autogen "popping" is normal for FSX as it doesn't use the fade in feature like FS9.Increase the LOD_RADIUS=4.5 TO 10.5. This will hit your performance and incraes load times so you might need a lower number for your computer.[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS=10.0Dave
I would be really hesitant with a 10.5, especially if using addon scenery such as ORBX. I never tried 10.5 but even with a good system, 6.5 really gives me a big OUCH.Bob
Forgot to ask but what is "like a LOOOONG time away" ? Are you looking at 2015, or might this be in 2012 sometime?RegardsBob

Thanks for your replies. It would seem im fairly stuck with the problem. While im at it i have also noticed other small problems which im not sure if they are connected or not.The first being textures for my ai aircraft all appear blank when a certain distance from me. I guess this would be to save rendering for objects closer. But the distance this occurs at is fairly close. For example when at the gate in heathrow all planes parked at other gates which are over and beyond a runway will appear blank. But if i use the zoom in key in spot view to zoom in onto my airplane. At a certain zoomed in distance the textures will all reappear. Im using WOAI. The other issue i have just noticed follows on from the ORBX sheep just suddenly appearing next too the runway when i pass a certain point. Again at heathrow i turned on airport vehicles to minimum and when in spotview and quite close to my plane. I can see a fuel truck and baggage trolleys right behind me. If i start to zoom out at a certain point they just disappear. I have never noticed this before and i guess is the same cause for the ORBX sheep just popping in when very very close.Are these issues all connected to the autogen problems.Thanks againSteve.

Thanks for your replies. It would seem im fairly stuck with the problem. While im at it i have also noticed other small problems which im not sure if they are connected or not.The first being textures for my ai aircraft all appear blank when a certain distance from me. I guess this would be to save rendering for objects closer. But the distance this occurs at is fairly close. For example when at the gate in heathrow all planes parked at other gates which are over and beyond a runway will appear blank. But if i use the zoom in key in spot view to zoom in onto my airplane. At a certain zoomed in distance the textures will all reappear. Im using WOAI. The other issue i have just noticed follows on from the ORBX sheep just suddenly appearing next too the runway when i pass a certain point. Again at heathrow i turned on airport vehicles to minimum and when in spotview and quite close to my plane. I can see a fuel truck and baggage trolleys right behind me. If i start to zoom out at a certain point they just disappear. I have never noticed this before and i guess is the same cause for the ORBX sheep just popping in when very very close.Are these issues all connected to the autogen problems.Thanks againSteve.
Steve, you are simply experiencing everything that we all have to deal with to some extent or another. It's an FSX fact of life I'm afraid. There are some things that can alleviate the popping of AG however. If the AG loads quicker, it will not be quite so apparent. The longer AG takes to load then the nearer it will be to the aircraft, due to the delay and so yuo become more aware of it. So, it's once again horses for courses. Take some opf the CPU intensive work from the framerate and give it back to scenery loading and it will help. It will also help with blurries too. If you run your LOD at 10.5 you will inevitably end up with problems, I promise. I have experimented extensively and to be absolutely honest, while there is a difference between say the default 4.5 and 7. it will not be very apparent. So as the other guys suggested, 5.5 is a good compromise, but to be honest I'd be surprised if you see more than a very small difference. My advice would be to lock frames at 25 or 30, I have mine locked at 26 and see my sig! it was the best thing I've ever done. It's given back some of the CPU power back to loading scenery. So as an experiment, I suggest, you lock your framerate at 25, set your AG slider at normal, LOD at 5.5, untick all the relevent boxes in FSX CP and then let us all know how you get on.EDIT: Post your system specs too. Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776