Sign in to follow this  
BreezyPointDeparture

Most Dangerous NGX Approaches and Departures

I've made myself some scenery for KEGE and LOWI over the christmas break. Had never heard of KEGE but noted that delta was flying there from atlanta after buying a new flighttrack ipad app. Got to love the way fsx plus modern tech lets you explore the world.So +1 for those airports and i look forward to trying the other suggestions here.KSAN is also a good flight in, i was reading yesterday that despite being challenging it was the 7th safest airport in the us.Any more suggestions for interesting US airports that will fit an NGX?

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

There's a Chinese airport that recently got an RNP approach that takes you down a set of mountain valleys, with the plane below the terrain. I think the approach path itself is a good 50-100 nm. The airport is a couple of hundred nm east of Lhasa in Tibet, but I forget the name. Anyone know which one I mean?

I actually flew (as a passenger) WestJet into Comox (CYQQ) some two years ago. But I'm really interested in a payware for Calgary CYYC and haven't been able to find anything yet. Not sure if CYQQ is all that challenging - is it a primarily a military base? Too many strips - too little time! :( Anything in the mountains gives me a real buzz but really need those scenerymesh add-ons for that extra WOW factor.

I just tried my first actually landing at KEGE, flying KDEN to KEGE at night. Also my first radar contact 4 flight ever. No CFIT, but almost...oops. I guess i will agree that it is quite a difficult approach. :)

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Paro Bhutan (VQPR) is a good one, Pity there is no good FSX addon for it though.YMML (Melbourne) runway 34 approach in gusty northeries is always a bit interesting.I also did Geno(v)a / LIMJ on the runway without the ILS the other day. The hills on the far end prevent a straight in approach, so you end up doing a circling visual, lining up about 600ft.Also did ol' LOWI on vatsim not long ago from the west approach, down to the westerly facing runway. That's a bunch of fun with 2 u turns in the valley.Regards,Trent Hopkinson

new zealand, miyakejima (small island in Japan, people usually take the ferry which departs at 10pm arrives at 5am some take the planes or helicopters, 737 would take half an hour)

Most dangerous approach is definitely when I'm pic & the HGS isn't available.

Tried KEGE again in daylight - its kind of fun to try a difficult approach at night, and then come back and do it in the day. Scary how many hills are around - with the ngx the terrain radar gives you some idea what's there, even in the dark. I used a flight plan from flightaware from an AA flight, booted rc4 for its first outing, fdc for checklists. Using a basic pit that now allows cold and dark to shutdown with no keyboard (ive got everything working except emergency light switch). Custom photoscenery and fs genesis for the terrain, ut2 for the traffic.Not having tried rc4 before, that added to the workload. Cool but kind of distracting. When the terrain map flashes and the gpws becomes unhappy, do you listen to that or the controller telling you to maintain fl120? I chose option 'a'.The night landing was hard, and not as in 'difficult' but that too. The day approach, also following the rwy25 approach plate from airnav, ended with a go around due to being high and a bit fast (the descent from 12200 at wehal to the airport at 6250ft-ish seemed to be a bit much if you didn't start off slow). The GA was nice and early but turning back to try again involves a lot of fast-rising terrain.Resorted to the hug for attempt 2, landed a bit further down the field than ideal but nice and gentle from the pax point of view.Beautiful scenery over the mountains on the way in, and a nice challenging approach the really taxed my fs/ngx skills...so there's my difficult airport trip report for the day.

Oz

Let's see some videos of posters doing these approaches!It's one thing to post about it, and quite another to see what you can do! :(
LOL, ok...But in real life, no jets would land here... ;)St Barts and a few others on my BoobToob Channel...
JB

I find VQPR (Paro) very demanding. That is a tricky one at the best of times.Thx Ian

Ian C. McCulloch

'What would one do without Malt Whisky? Slainte Mhath'

It only can get better

I find VQPR (Paro) very demanding. That is a tricky one at the best of times.Thx Ian
I recall hearing in the Aerosoft Forums that they want to build the airport, but they can't because they don't get access to the real one to make their photos. And if they don't I think no other developer will. That might be why there is no addon scenery out there for this airport.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!