Sign in to follow this  
BreezyPointDeparture

Most Dangerous NGX Approaches and Departures

Gibraltar looses some of it's appeal in FSX but is well known to be challenging in real life due to low level turbulence rolling off the nearby mountains.
How come ? It looks really nice with the Aerosoft scenery and with the Spanish airspace restrictions adds another dimension to the bad winds.Andy Blake Edited by Andy10r

How come ? It looks really nice with the Aerosoft scenery and with the Spanish airspace restrictions adds another dimension to the bad winds.Andy Blake
I was referring to loosing some appeal as a challenging airport. The available scenery is nice and there is some challenge from the airsapce restrictions, however FSX weather is not good at modeling the type of low level turbulence rolling off those nearby mountains. So it's not quite the same type of challenge in FSX.

Eric Szczesniak

I must say that this video certainly does show off ORBX's work beautifully!Its not mine - but I am sure whoever made it won't mind it being posted here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h6hmJr9rv4I really do miss my FS, been nearly two years since my old PC went pop - hopefully get it nicely set up on a new rig in the next couple of months! I have been saying that for a while though! :(

Anthony Milner

Sim pilots could never hold up against a 737 type-rated pilot, no matter they might dream about (if both pilots had a heart attack, I could take over....yup, sure you could!)
Just playing devil's advocate:Never discount the entire group entirely. There's bound to be a couple out there whole could hack it. There's something to be said for a natural ability for flying. I'm not saying experience is worthless, or that they'd pull it off on anything other than luck, but never say never.On the flip side, there are so many threads here where these sim 'pilots' assert a feature doesn't work, and it ends up being their own fault, that it only further drives your point home.Moral of the story:Pilot folk (as in rated pilot folk, and even students): be humble enough to realize those with less time could actually be better pilots and you could learn something from them.Sim pilot folk: be realistic enough to know that the sim isn't the real thing, and even though it's close, it's not enough and there's a lot more to flying than the physical act of it.

Kyle Rodgers

Try out rwy 29 at Alta (ENAT), Norway! Placed in the end of a fjord, mountains surrounding it, you have to fly a nice visual turn to get down, with only a mile or two to get stabalized on once you're out of the turn. SAS operates this airport with 737's on a daily basis.Vis app chart: https://www.ippc.no/norway_aip/current/AIP/AD/ENAT/EN_AD_2_ENAT_6-2_en.pdfAIP for Alta (and Norway, if you click "AIP Norway" at the top): https://www.ippc.no/norway_aip/current/AIP/AD/ENAT/enat.html

Just playing devil's advocate:Never discount the entire group entirely. There's bound to be a couple out there whole could hack it. There's something to be said for a natural ability for flying. I'm not saying experience is worthless, or that they'd pull it off on anything other than luck, but never say never.On the flip side, there are so many threads here where these sim 'pilots' assert a feature doesn't work, and it ends up being their own fault, that it only further drives your point home.Moral of the story:Pilot folk (as in rated pilot folk, and even students): be humble enough to realize those with less time could actually be better pilots and you could learn something from them.Sim pilot folk: be realistic enough to know that the sim isn't the real thing, and even though it's close, it's not enough and there's a lot more to flying than the physical act of it.
Tutmeister": i cant find your post so here we go, your right and wrong in the same time! it depends how the simmer takes it. if he takes it very seriously and put a lot of time reading the charts and do exactly the same things, you can see a lot of threads of people telling about their great experience when the went to a simulator center, it depends i do not agree with you at all, sorry. Edited by Daniel choen

There is one very distinct difference from "simmer dream" in even a LDS simulator, hydraulics and all - and that is - if you screw up, you die, and not only you, but 150 other as well. I don't think many simmers would handle that.Any realistic simmer should admit, that only real option in this situation would be to go for an autoland at a sufficiently equipped airport. And, in case of a 737, hope you don't end up in a ditch on the side of the runway, since most 737s don't have rollout mode.

There is one very distinct difference from "simmer dream" in even a LDS simulator, hydraulics and all - and that is - if you screw up, you die, and not only you, but 150 other as well. I don't think many simmers would handle that.Any realistic simmer should admit, that only real option in this situation would be to go for an autoland at a sufficiently equipped airport. And, in case of a 737, hope you don't end up in a ditch on the side of the runway, since most 737s don't have rollout mode.
again, totally don't agree with you, sorry but this is not correct, even someone who has never touched yoke before can fly a plane, we know so much things that you are not aware to.again, yes it's not simulator it's a real situation but, whats the problem? you have every thing you need in front of you: checklist co-pilot and working aircraft and ATC i am sure we can handle it, again depends on the simmer.not trying to argue, but i want to make my point, have a great one, cheers mate.

If there is a working copilot on board, you will be staying in the back. Unless you mean you brought your own...

Edited by Fabo

Well, I don't mind debating at all, but I don't want to pull this thread off track too far. While I certainly agree that simmers who take things seriously will absolutely make great pilots, there is no doubt about that. Anyone can learn to fly, it's usually all the other things that come with it where most people struggle. There is no doubt a simmer can jump in a LDS and hand fly it, fly difficult approaches and what not.However, as someone above mentioned: add the responsibility of 150 passenger's lives, women, men and children. Factor in the reason why two pilots suddenly died, as that simply never would happen without an emergency (window busted by Canadian Geese or a hijacking for example) and add that you're more than likely nowhere near an airport that has a precision approach. I think that you'll then find that the stress involved, for the average realism simmer is a lot more than they have ever dealt with. At that point, you start trembling, you start worrying about if your skill is good enough to get these people down safely and the pressure bubble that occurs with this situation and you'll soon find out that all your sim skill and experience simply goes out that busted window. I'm counting myself as the average simmer, as I have never been rated on an airliner, so my only NGX experience of any merit is the PMDG NGX. But as any VATSIM pilot, or real-world pilot will tell you, as soon as a couple radios start blearing, some lights start flashing and you need to control the aircraft too, you get this fogged in feeling of "non-focus". Call it Brain Fog if you will. The following graph displays quite clearly how stress effects performance, so without specific emergency management training, I feel the average simmer would struggle do be the hero of the day as they'd more than likely be on the wrong side of that curve!stress-affect-performance.gif

Edited by tutmeister

even someone who has never touched yoke before can fly a plane, ......yes it's not simulator it's a real situation but, whats the problem?.....i am sure we can handle it, again depends on the simmer.
Sorry, this is just a lot of nonsense.Fabo is right, you are not.If it was so easy a 'dedictated' and experienced simmer would show up at a local flight school and pretty much could start/land on his own in the first couple of hours. And we know it is not true - they still need your typical 10-15 hrs before they are even able to properly handle a lowely Cesna 152 and perform a solo flight. Edited by michal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/9002352/The-worlds-scariest-airport-landings-videos.htmlNot all 737 friendly.Some approaches into non scary places can be fun, challenging to, if you fly them using vors, hand flown rather than lnav. Turning on to the right radials etc, crossing altitudes, can make a lot of stars, approaches and SIDS more challenging, without it needing big mountains etc to make it fun. Even a standard procedural approach all hand flown from the hold adds more than just pointing at 10 miles on auto at the ils.I like the vordme runway 34 into lows especially with cross winds, as it's a visual turn back on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/9002352/The-worlds-scariest-airport-landings-videos.html Not all 737 friendly. Some approaches into non scary places can be fun, challenging to, if you fly them using vors, hand flown rather than lnav. Turning on to the right radials etc, crossing altitudes, can make a lot of stars, approaches and SIDS more challenging, without it needing big mountains etc to make it fun. Even a standard procedural approach all hand flown from the hold adds more than just pointing at 10 miles on auto at the ils. I like the vordme runway 34 into lows especially with cross winds, as it's a visual turn back on.
Absolutely, especially if you add correct ATC procedures to the workload! Although, I am especially partial to New Zealand, Queenstown (NZQN) in the NGX since I bought ORBX NZ South Island.