Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

Airport grass polygons

In FSX it seems i have a lot of airports in which the grass apron or polygon which surrounds the runways seems to have the underlying LC bleeding into it. I especially despise the sand colored texturing areas. I think this is pretty ugly and makes many airports very unrealistic looking. Currently Im working with a pretty stock setup as ive only recently built a machine which runs this very well. I have UTX but enabling or disabling it does not seem to matter. I do remember that in FS9 with a third party LC this happened also, but i have no third party LC installed other than the UT stuff which does not seem to matter whether its enabled or disabled. I had installed a workaround for FS9 which I was really happy with but do not believe it works with FSX. Anyone else have a solution or any suggestions on how to get my green grass airport skirting back?Thanks for any help. Appreciate it.

This is all default..im still tweaking etc..the only thing i have installed is UTX usa. Currently its disabled though, while I figure a fix for my dirty airportsScreenshot of exactly what im talking about.....grass.jpg

Edited by Hornit

The airport above is KCVG. ive tried replacing all the "dirt" textures in the 140-142b series bitmaps(Scenery/World/texture) which control the airport mask textures. Somehow I still have this at KCVG. Ive also changed the textures for fall to be a bit better suited to reality. This problem has me stumped. Its not a showstopper, but it is annoying. I believe the underlying LC is somehow causing the dirt to be displayed instead of the normal airport grass poly. Anyone know why that happens at some airports and not others? I dont have this problem everywhere, just noticed it at some of the larger airports. Ive searched a lot for a fix..so far no luck.

I had a similar problem once when I messed around with an alternate terrain.cfg. My problem didn't involve airport polygons but other landclass polygons were flickering and trying to display 2 different types of landclass at the same time. The draw order of different landclasses are defined there (I don't pretend to understand it but if you open terrain.cfg in notepad you can see this - I think), so apparently this was a draw order issue in my case. I had a backup of a fresh FSX install so I just reverted to the default (and then re-installed an Orbx region to update it with the Orbx entries). It's a long shot, but have you done anything lately that may have messed with your terrain.cfg?Jim

Not that Im aware of. This is a fresh install. Its running great too except for this anomaly. The only add on ive installed as noted is UTX usa. I have tried enabling and disabling it, but frankly it makes no difference. I have not tried uninstalling it yet. I know that UTX does add its own urban and city LC but I do not believe that is causing my issue here. Its almost as if this airport has no mask class map for its airport poly....Im trying to use ADE to fix it but so far no luck.

Well, here is my understanding:Assume you use a polygon set to "maskclassmap" such as Texture.164. The LandClassRemapType is set to "airport".Normal remap for many landclass values is to LC 95, grass skirting 1 (texture no 139b). however, a number of landclasses map differently as follows (landclass value (texture no) remapped from underlying landclass value):a. 2 Low sparse Grassland (070b) from 2b. 97 Grass and Scrub Skirting (141b) from 3,6,16,17,97,144c. 99 Sand and Desert Skirting (143b) from 8,11,32,46,47,50,59,99,130,137,138d. 9 Upland tundra (013b) from 9,53,63e. 147 Savanna grass (082b) from 12,147f. 59 Succulent and thorn scrub (050b) from 27g. 98 Dry grass and dirt skirting (142b) from 37,41,48,58,64,72,98,102,104,106,108,110,112,114,116,118,120,129,131h. 51 Semi desert shrubs (003b) from 51i. 52 Semi desert sage (050b) from 52j. 69 Polar and alpine desert ( 074b) from 69k. 147 Savanna grass (082b) from 12,43,91,147l. 122 Ice (001b) from 122m. 127 Reef (127b) from 127n. 128 Grass (128b) from 128o. 132 Coral (132b) from 132p. 133 Lava (133b) from 133q. 134 Park (134b) from 134r. 136 Cement (136b) from 136s. 139 Airfield1 (139b) from 139t. 140 Airfield2 (140b) from 140u. 141 Rock volcanic (057b) from 141v. 142 rock ice (067b) from 142w. 143 Glacier ice (001b) from 143x. 96 Grass skirting 2 (140b) from 96,145y. 146 Desert rock (081b) from 146z. 148 Non mountain rock (080b) from 148Note that certain remmaped ladclasses use common textures in the above list.scott s..

I am wondering if other folks see this at KCVG? just curious. most if not ALL my other airports have the proper grass skirt around the runways. Orlando.... KMCO displays the same problem on the western runway complex, but not on the east side of the terminal areas . I am guessingThe underlying LC has to be changed to something grasslike for the mask to show grass. I havent tried that yet, but im guessing it would work, that or a new poly with texture to 'force' the grass to display properly.

I am wondering if other folks see this at KCVG? just curious.
Mine looks like this:KCVG.jpgJim

I tried deleting and rebuilding the config file..no luck. Tried uninstalling and resinstalling and mine still has the "sandbox" look to KCVG. So mine is doing it with a stock config and no add-ons and does it with UTX usa installed also. I see this at other airports which seem to be large with multiple runways..DFW and KMCO come to mind. Ohare is ok as are about 90% of the airports i frequent. Im finding it kind of hard to believe no one else noticed this..or no one else has seen or used a fix..if there even is one.Im now running a Core I5 at 3.5ghz, 8g RAM, and a GF 560TI+. I can run all kinds of weather and add-ons now and this sim rocks...just wish i could fix a few of the little things like this...I'd probably finaly dump my FS9!!!Jim,You have a different landclass than me, still using the stock LC and or the UTX one..those built up areas on the north and west side look wrong. there are no big buildings near KCVG lke that. Would you mind letting me know what add-ons your running?

Edited by Hornit

I am wondering if other folks see this at KCVG? just curious. most if not ALL my other airports have the proper grass skirt around the runways. Orlando.... KMCO displays the same problem on the western runway complex, but not on the east side of the terminal areas . I am guessingThe underlying LC has to be changed to something grasslike for the mask to show grass. I havent tried that yet, but im guessing it would work, that or a new poly with texture to 'force' the grass to display properly.
I am not getting this at KCVG, and I am using UTX. I have, however, seen this at some airports and have rectified it by placing a landclass polygon "Airfield 1" over the airport using ADE.

Art

Jim,You have a different landclass than me, still using the stock LC and or the UTX one..those built up areas on the north and west side look wrong. there are no big buildings near KCVG lke that. Would you mind letting me know what add-ons your running?
I'm not using UTX but I have Orbx stuff installed which does modify the terrain.cfg among other things. I'm really not sure what is responsible for the LC in that area, maybe it's just default. I think I also have FSGenesis US Natl Landclass project installed so that may be the culprit as well. For me it's kinda "Orbx or NoX" and I pay little attention to what goes on outside of the Orbx region. Something could very likely be messed up and I'd never know it. :)Have you tried the "repair" option reinstalling FSX?Jim

Ive done a complete reinstall. My default install looks just like the screenshot I posted above. Your LC looks like the FSG stuff, i always thought it had far too many large urban areas like in that shot you posted above. Would rather go with default than such huge innaccuracies like those buildings around the NW side of the field.

You're right, I disabled the FSG LC and the "cityscape" is gone:KCVG2.jpgOne difference possibly is that I'm using FSX deluxe + SP2 but no Acceleration, I dunno? I also tried it with a few different terrain.cfgs and KCVG looked the same either way.Jim