Sign in to follow this  
Joduv

Space between glareshield and overhead panel.

Hello guy's,I was wondering for a long time now why the space between the glareshield (autopilot) and overhead panel is so big in the NGX while in the real cockpit it is much more little...I have been working as flight dispatch for Ryanair, and i was always wondering why this difference between simulation and real. Maybe to have a better view while flying approaches, etc.. but as far as i am concerned, i think it remove some realism... No offence to the NGX which is just a beauty !Refering to the manual, the height should be 40 cm.Here are some pictures to compare :NGX : dal8.jpgReal : 2223228988a74a34efc3oei.jpgmyaviationnetphotoid020.jpgCheers,Josua.

Edited by Duval

+10 for sharp obeservation, and a good question too. Will be interesting to read the answers.

Duval, it´s said over and over again, all measurement was done using Boeings blueprint Drawings.So I´m sure PMDG have it right and you have it wrong./ Leffe

Edited by Leffe

Because the pictures of the real A/C are taken while standing up. The Overhead panel is lower than the covers in front of it. (see standby compass).

Mark Scheerman

Boeing 737-6/7/8/900 Ground Engineer

Here we go with some new comparison angles, and still we see that the height in the NGX is much greater that the one in real life !

Josua, that last post contains images both from the sim, so you've essentially invalidated your argument.For those who believe there is an issue, google "parallax" among other visual oddities. More specifically here, the apparent distance between the glareshield and the overhead depends completely on your angle of viewing.Stand near a doorway and place the door at 45 degrees from being closed. Stand facing the doorway (perpendicular to the doorframe). You'll see that the apparent distance between the door and the frame is maybe a third of the total door width. Now, stand facing the doorway at the same angle as the door. You'll see that the apparent distance between the door and the frame is the entire width of the door.Welcome to the Three Dimensional World!!!

Kyle Rodgers

Josua, that last post contains images both from the sim, so you've essentially invalidated your argument.For those who believe there is an issue, google "parallax" among other visual oddities. More specifically here, the apparent distance between the glareshield and the overhead depends completely on your angle of viewing.Stand near a doorway and place the door at 45 degrees from being closed. Stand facing the doorway (perpendicular to the doorframe). You'll see that the apparent distance between the door and the frame is maybe a third of the total door width. Now, stand facing the doorway at the same angle as the door. You'll see that the apparent distance between the door and the frame is the entire width of the door.Welcome to the Three Dimensional World!!!
Hello, he used the last two photos in comparison with the real life photos from the initial post.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Here we go with some new comparison angles, and still we see that the height in the NGX is much greater that the one in real life !
ok you said in the original post the height should be 40cm in these pics you just posted what was the height? did you measure it, and if so how did you do it? How do you know its not 40cm? To compare a real photo to a 3d rendered object in a flight simulator with limits to angles would be quite difficult.

How do you know its not 40cm?
Just read what I wrote : "Refering to the manual" !!!!Also if you look at the second photo from the real cockpit, you can easily see that the blue book over the autopilot is approx 20cm large, 2 books like this will block the view... so it is indeed 40cm..Guy's I don't want to criticise or whatever, it is just a remark and a question nothing else !Thanks.
Geez Louise! Does it matter? The NGX is still the best simulation ever!
You are completely right, and i wrote it also at the beginning of my post ! :(
Hello, he used the last two photos in comparison with the real life photos from the initial post.
Indeed ! thanks for your answer !

the real photos in the initial post were taken with the person standing as someone already pointed outall of his images from the sim are at eye level with the top of the seatsyou can't compare the two at all

the real photos in the initial post were taken with the person standing as someone already pointed outall of his images from the sim are at eye level with the top of the seats
Negative Sir ! Last 2 images are taken at the same point of view (person standing up in the cockpit). I put the view up using shift + enter in FSX...