Sign in to follow this  
Buzz313th

Optional FDE for the C185's (Author Bernt Stolle)

I must have done something wrong, I have installed the file and now My C185 with tundra is bumping evrywhere even when I'm on the runway with 5% gaz it's like a kangaroo, its ridiculous is making like 2 meter jump.I have replaced the aircraft.cfg files but I have two .air files the original ones (carenado_C185.air) and the new one (185_Tundra.air)Am I supposed to delete the original air file ?Any help would be much apreciated.EDIT : I try deleting the original air file but then the plane would not load. Renaming the modified air file in carenado_C185.air does not change anything the plane is still jumping evrywhere.Am I the only one having this issue ?

Edited by Bushido5

Guest bstolle

Do you have Acceleration installed?No need to delete the original air file.There must be something seriously wrong because the new cfg file doesn't refer to the original FDE.That's a sign that your cfg file isn't the new one or if it's a repaint that has been installed still refers to the carenado_c185.air instead of the 185_tundra.air.Don't rename any files as you are loosing track of which is which!Just copy the new cfg and air file into the 185 directory and overwrite the files that are there.If you don't have Acceleration installed you can tune the 'bouncing' by changing the damping ratio (red) in the cfg file.point.1 = 1, -2.95, -3.5, -4.20, 2000, 1, 0.75, 0, 0.22, 2.5, 0.07, 0, 0, 2, 0, 140point.2 = 1, -2.95, 3.5, -4.20, 2000, 2, 0.75, 0, 0.22, 2.5, 0.07, 0, 0, 3, 0, 1400.07 is a very low damping ratio, increasing that value by a factor of 10 to 0.7 will make her much 'softer' but IRL these Tundra tires are very bouncyLet me know if the problem is still there

Edited by bstolle

I don't have acceleration (I do have the SP2 thought)I check but all the repaint point to the correct 185_tundra.air (just to be on the safe side I try with the default texture)I change the value with 0.7 instead of 0.07 like you suggest and it works, no more crazy bouncing, thanks for your support Bernt.

Hey Bernt.I see you did a FDE for the Flight replicas Pa18. Personally, I love the aircraft 3d model, but the FDE that came with it was a show stopper for me.Where can I find your modified FDE for the Flight Replicas PA18?JB

Guest bstolle

Unfortunately the have never been available for download. FR sent them to each customer separately.Just PM me your e-mail address (and which versions you have) and I e-mail them to you ASAP.@bushido5Glad it works :(

Edited by bstolle

Unfortunately the have never been available for download. FR sent them to each customer separately.Just PM me your e-mail address (and which versions you have) and I e-mail them to you ASAP.@bushido5Glad it works :(
Thanks Bernt. I actually sent Mike at FR an email with my purchase info from F1 and he just sent me a link to the latest version. I appreciate it. I guess the F1 version still for download does not include your FDE update.JB

Guest bstolle

:smile:BTW, easy to check, if she spins it's the new FDE

Edited by bstolle

She spins just fine and correction leadin for precision spins to a heading is nice and gradual.Thanks againJB

Cheers Bernt for these...Only just found them... will be trying them out as soon as I can get them on the FSX PC...Andrew

Tried it on the standard C185 in OrbX PNW... a totally different experience!I have to rethink my procedure on takeoff with this...Gunning the throttle to full with even the slightest crosswind caused all sorts of problems at the beginning. I need a lot more rudder now to stop drift (I have the tailwheel locked), but as long as you are early enough with rudder input, she stays centre line...Depending on load out, I find an element of nose down trim aids the tail lifting prior to liftoff, which makes the whole takeoff experience more manageable to me, though I wouldn't want that in a strong crosswind.... what is the max. crosswind component allowed?I have bounced a few landings, though that is my not being used to the viewpoint (as I haven't used the C185 for some time), but with calm conditions, a three point landing IS possible, even for a C185 novice like myself. You need to be much more aware of your surroundings now.I am not qualified to say whether the new FDE is more or less realistic. What I can say is that it makes me feel a lot more as though I am actually at the controls of the aircraft. It also feels a lot closer to the description of flying the C185 given in the guide I downloaded at the same location as the FDEs...Cheers :) You have brought the C185 back out of the hangar and into the air!Andrew

Edited by aentwis
  • Upvote 1

Guest BeaverDriver

Andrew,Welcome to the world of the 185 on wheels :D. As a RW 185 driver (and the one who wrote the Guide) I can tell you, the 185 is a true (female dog <-- apparently Avsim is quite strict on language?) on wheels in a crosswind. Technically the max crosswind component is about 15 kts I believe. Inexperienced 185 drivers will want to deal with a lot less, and very experienced pilots can deal with more (but not without some "interesting" manaeuvers on the process <LOL>). I admit, I don't always lock the tailwheel when operating from a runway, but you have to be very aware to not overcontrol the aircraft if you leave it unlocked. In the air the 185 is quite forgiving (compared with other airplanes like the Beaver), but on takeoffs and landings you really have to watch yourself. But it is a really fun, extremely capable bush plane that will stand up to almost anything you throw at it. Just don't try to do the impossible before you get very acquainted with it and you'll be fine.I can tell you the FDE is remarkably more realistic. Bernt still couldn't get the tail up as soon as it happens IRL, but that's an FSX limitation. As for bouncing landings, well, that's par for the course. I've got a lot of time in this machine and I still bounce them, so not to worry. Yes you can do 3 point landings for sure in this machine, but not very well with a crosswind ;). In no wind conditions, yeah, no sweat.Keep in mind Bernt's files are for the BUSH version. Using it on the standard version will make it better, but you may find you bounce more than usual.Anywho, glad you are enjoying it. It's one of the better (if not the best) bush planes out there. Have fun :)

Edited by BeaverDriver