Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Assigning flaps in NGX

Hi guys, I have just got my head around LINDA with assigning all the regular stuff, like gear, spoilers, radio, lights and flaps to my VRisight switch panel. However, while I can assign flaps to all my GA aircraft with no problem, the one issue I have is with the NGX. There is of course the NGX specific drop down list of assignments, but the problem is apparent when assigning a specific flaps command. While I can set flaps to up or down and flaps 1,2 and 3 and increase and decrease, what I seem unable to do is assign, with a single switch, flaps 15 or flaps 25 etc. I am sure there is a way, but I have been unable to find it. So, simply to hit a single toggle switch and to achieve a single flaps position, without having to keep hitting the increase or decrease switch. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated guys, cheers.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi Howard!Whilst you await an authoritative response from those better qualified to comment than I, perhaps this suggestion might be of some initial help.In situations where only decrement/increment options are available, the usual workaround is to (for example) decrement enough times to be very sure that the flaps are fully up (although back in the sim they will only just have started to move by the time you have done so), then then increment the exact number of times needed to achieve the position you wish.To do that, (since an existing function for, say, flaps 5 doesn't exist) you will need to write your own little routine in Lua and then call it as required, but that's fairly easy (you can use an FSX LIB function for the flaps inc and dec).Hope that helps a little,Cheers,Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

you will need to write your own little routine in Lua and then call it as required, but that's fairly easy (you can use an FSX LIB function for the flaps inc and dec).
Hi Brian, thanks again for your kind advice. However, I'm afraid I am now lost! Can you point me towards some help on this matter and where to start looking, cheers.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Hi Howard!Ah, my apologies — I hadn't realised that you were fairly new to LINDA. So let's drop down a gear or two and take it slowly.First of all, have you read the LINDA manual? I mean *really* read it, not just skimmed it, because there's a *lot* of fairly condensed information in there. So you need to have read it whilst trying for yourself the topics it discusses, to be sure you have really undrstood them.Having done that, allocate a simple fsx flaps increment/decrement function to your 'hog. The obvious switch to use is the one on the throttle base clearly marked FLAPS, but you can of course utilise any switch you like. You need to have two positions, obviously, one to increment (lower) the flaps, and the other to do the reverse. For example, here's an extract from my LINDA assignments showing this in action using that switch (22 and 23):lindawarthogflapsassign.jpg(I'm sure you have realised that the numbers in the Warthog manual's diagrams correspond to LINDA's numbers in the left-hand column).Once you've got the hang of allocating switches to NGX and FSX commands, you will have discovered whilst doing so that Günter has generously provided us with around 500 NGX-specific functions to use (that's in version 1.4 of the LINDA NGX module, available on this forum) — but don't overlook the fact that you have loads of the original FSX commands available too (such as flaps inc/dec), and you can even use the old FSX keystrokes, if you haven't changed them, as I do to set the local barometric pressure using button 21 in the above example.It's great fun, and LINDA makes it all so easy! :Party:So see how you get on with that, and once you're confident with the basics then we'll take it forward from there. :smile:Cheers for now,Brian

Edited by brian747

Hi Howard!Ah, my apologies — I hadn't realised that you were fairly new to LINDA. So let's drop down a gear or two and take it slowly.First of all, have you read the LINDA manual? I mean *really* read it, not just skimmed it, because there's a *lot* of fairly condensed information in there. So you need to have read it whilst trying for yourself the topics it discusses, to be sure you have really undrstood them.Having done that, allocate a simple fsx flaps increment/decrement function to your 'hog. The obvious switch to use is the one on the throttle base clearly marked FLAPS, but you can of course utilise any switch you like. You need to have two positions, obviously, one to increment (lower) the flaps, and the other to do the reverse. For example, here's an extract from my LINDA assignments showing this in action using that switch (22 and 23):lindawarthogflapsassign.jpg(I'm sure you have realised that the numbers in the Warthog manual's diagrams correspond to LINDA's numbers in the left-hand column).Once you've got the hang of allocating switches to NGX and FSX commands, you will have discovered whilst doing so that Günter has generously provided us with around 500 NGX-specific functions to use (that's in version 1.4 of the LINDA NGX module, available on this forum) — but don't overlook the fact that you have loads of the original FSX commands available too (such as flaps inc/dec), and you can even use the old FSX keystrokes, if you haven't changed them, as I do to set the local barometric pressure using button 21 in the above example.It's great fun, and LINDA makes it all so easy! :Party:So see how you get on with that, and once you're confident with the basics then we'll take it forward from there. :smile:Cheers for now,Brian
Hi Brian, thanks for the info. Sure, it's not assigning specific values that are already present in LINDA, it's assigning a vallue that is not present. I alread have increase and decrease flaps assigned. The problem is that I want to hit a single key that initiates flaps 5 or hit a sigle key that initiates flaps 15. It is this that I'm unable to do, as there is nothing in the NGX menu in LINDA that allows you to do that.

Howard

Rockliffe, you must have a throttle....If you do, consider doing what i did and assign flaps for the ngx to the rightmost axis via fsuipc. Ive got plenty to do already with the mcp buttons and linda, and this seems much more realistic.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

@HowardPlease refer to my previous posts, notably:"In situations where only decrement/increment options are available, the usual workaround is to (for example) decrement enough times to be very sure that the flaps are fully up (although back in the sim they will only just have started to move by the time you have done so), then then increment the exact number of times needed to achieve the position you wish."@Rob:Please forgive me, but to use a well-known Microsoft expression "Are You Sure?"Let me see now: flaps up, 1, 2, 5, 10, 15, 25, 30 and 40. Nine positions. Hmm, not too easy to use a single lever and nonetheless manage to achieve the exact position required, even using FSUIPC's calibration (which PMDG recommend people not to employ, incidentally - see the NGX Introduction document). :wink:I know that technique works with some aircraft with a more limited range of flap positions, but TBH with the 737 I have concerns...... But each to their own. B)B.

Edited by brian747

Hi rockcliffe,I'm not a flaps/fsuipc expert, but having set this up a couple of weeks ago i'm suprised how much more realistic it feels. Before this i was using a goflight landing gear/flaps module, which is a cool bit of kit but the flaps are nothing like an ngx.I'm using the basic saitek throttle quad. Speedbrake, throttle, flaps assigned to the three levers.I set flaps 5, flaps 15 and flaps 30 to the three lines marked on it. I do have the intermediate flap settings programmed, but I have the lines as a reference for what I comsider the three main settings to be. If the lever is full down it sets flaps 40, but i very rarely use this. Flaps 1 and flaps 2 is actually still easy to set using the line as reference,Lever up=flaps upTakes about 20 mins to set up.I still want a proper throttle quad for my ngx, but this is doing nicely in the meantime.LINDA and the mcp combo 2 are working very, very nicely for anything that should be controlled by a button of a dial.

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Hi fellas, thanks again Brian for all the help. Rob, i think I'll try your suggestion and see how I get on with using one of the Warthog's throttle levers. I'll see how I get on, cheers.

Howard