Sign in to follow this  
Raimo I

Terrain draw distance.

Hey.I have one problem. Its that my fs2004 is drawing its dextured detailed close up but as it gets further it gets blurred. Now its not "blur" thing that is caused because of slow hardware, I quess it just is that way. Now my question is how do i make fs2004 draw these textures/landclass or whatever thei are further. At FL340 i can only see 100% crisp dextures below me and little in front, but then it gets blurry, and even further its blurry as hell. I would like to have atlest couple hundred square miles drawn 100%.Can anyone help?Thank You.

The search button is your friend.There are loads of topics already popped up about this already and even one more recently http://forum.avsim.net/topic/359230-blurred-ground-textures-yet-another-post-on-this-subject/Perhaps a good answer would lie in one of these previous posts? Use the search button for keywords like "fs9" "Textures" etc.:(

Thank you.Didn't know what to look exactly ... landclasses, textures or other stuff.

Edited by PhOeNiX

If you find some true values for the variables in fs9.cfg that work for you, please post them. There are quite a few placebos out there.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

From my experiencies up in the real blue, in small GA aircraft, that is exactly what it is like!Smoke, dust, fog, mist, low cloud, rain, etc, etc, all decrease the distance you can see clearly. The sky is nearly always "dirty".In my FS 2004 I generaly have my distance set to 5-10 miles max, to be able to see things reasonably clearly......that what its, like in real life!..... :( ...!Go up to your bedroom window, on a dull day, or even a Summers day, and see just how far you can see clearly in to the distance...not far!Paul...FS 2004...FS Nav...and a pair of infra-red Binoculars for those dreary days!.....He%20He.gif ...!

Edited by Fozzer

I would definitely suggest the freeware soft horizons mod to get a realistic haze layer in fs9Regards

Rob Prest

From my experiencies up in the real blue, in small GA aircraft, that is exactly what it is like!Smoke, dust, fog, mist, low cloud, rain, etc, etc, all decrease the distance you can see clearly. The sky is nearly always "dirty".In my FS 2004 I generaly have my distance set to 5-10 miles max, to be able to see things reasonably clearly......that what its, like in real life!..... :( ...!Go up to your bedroom window, on a dull day, or even a Summers day, and see just how far you can see clearly in to the distance...not far!Paul...FS 2004...FS Nav...and a pair of infra-red Binoculars for those dreary days!.....He%20He.gif ...!
Sorry, 5-10 miles vis in real life??? maybe in China!!! Perhaps it is different on this side of the pond but at 3500 feet I can see 15-20 miles easy, at 30,000 feet it can be 60,70,100 miles depending... The one thing I agree with is that you can only see details such as roads etc for a limited distance as in the sim and then everything starts to look the same... It doesn't get blurry and slow to load in the real world though :)I would not under ANY circumstances set my max visibility to 5-10 miles! Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Hi.I'll second Soft Horizons, even though I no longer use it. I opted some time ago for the Avsim upload Hi Definition Environment v. 2 (was it by Pablo Diaz??) and recall reading somewhere that the two are not compatible. I suspect it depends on which cloud textures you use.If you don't want to use Soft Horizons, try searching the FS9 forum for the word tablefog. I have tablefog set to the non-default in my FS9 config file, with visibility set either to 20 or 30 miles and I feel (having only ever been a passenger) that it's pretty realistic. That combination decreases the haze beneath your plane, and possibly increases it slightly at a distance. This softens the impact of the poor quality distant textures, leaves clouds well defined, and increases saturation and contrast beneath you.Cheers,D

Edited by Dave_Morgan

Sorry, 5-10 miles vis in real life??? maybe in China!!! Perhaps it is different on this side of the pond but at 3500 feet I can see 15-20 miles easy, at 30,000 feet it can be 60,70,100 miles depending... The one thing I agree with is that you can only see details such as roads etc for a limited distance as in the sim and then everything starts to look the same... It doesn't get blurry and slow to load in the real world though :)I would not under ANY circumstances set my max visibility to 5-10 miles!
During my flights in our Cessna 152 around the countryside in England, at altitudes of 2,500 feet ASL, it is often difficult to spot various ground landmarks, etc, from the air at a distance of 5-10 miles, due to air polution/poor visibility at various time of the year.As the majority of my General Aviation Sim Flights are spent at between 500 feet AGL and 3,500 feet AGL, often in mist, dust, and smoke, setting my weather "clear" visibility from 5-10 miles is realistic....in my part of the world....(and certainly in the Los Angeles Valley, and San Francisco on a usual foggy day).... :( ...!Setting visibility to anything near; "unlimited" would be highly unrealistic for any of my daily Flights, in the Sim!I certainly cant spot a flock of Sheep on the Welsh Mountains from a distance of 20 miles away!A very hazy horizon for me is realistic. I select my Sim visibility settings from what I actually see in Google Street Map Photos and Videos.Paul....England...G-BPLF... :( ...! Edited by Fozzer

During my flights in our Cessna 152 around the countryside in England, at altitudes of 2,500 feet ASL, it is often difficult to spot various ground landmarks, etc, from the air at a distance of 5-10 miles, due to air polution/poor visibility at various time of the year.As the majority of my General Aviation Sim Flights are spent at between 500 feet AGL and 3,500 feet AGL, often in mist, dust, and smoke, setting my weather "clear" visibility from 5-10 miles is realistic....in my part of the world....(and certainly in the Los Angeles Valley, and San Francisco on a usual foggy day).... :( ...!Setting visibility to anything near; "unlimited" would be highly unrealistic for any of my daily Flights, in the Sim!I certainly cant spot a flock of Sheep on the Welsh Mountains from a distance of 20 miles away!A very hazy horizon for me is realistic.I select my Sim visibility settings from what I actually see in Google Street Map Photos and Videos.Paul....England...G-BPLF... :( ...!
No you can't spot a flock of sheep from 5 miles but you can certainly see the hill! Or a telegraph pole on the hill or a 200 foot building rising into the air... You set visibility settings by Google street map, photos and videos, I am sorry, i really don't see the logic there? There are times you can see 30 miles from the top of the Empire State Building!!!How about setting it by METAR data? CAVOK = clear skies, unlimited visibility CAVU – Ceiling and visibility unlimited Vis= greater than 10 miles, Vis= greater than 7 miles etc... My horizon is painted by ASE based on the wxr, not google maps or photos or videos..But whatever makes you happy! I just would not recommend your solution to anyone else as a resolution for resolving terrain draw distance, that is NOT what it is like in the real world as clearly visibility is determined by METAR not google maps or videos... That is like saying the fix for something is to not look! ;)Not to mention, with 350,000 miles traveled in tin can shooting through the sky at 500 miles per hour I can sufficiently say if I had my vis set to 5-10 miles it would be NOTHING like what I see in the real world...Whatever you prefer Paul but I will adamantly disagree with using your solution as a resolution to the OP's problem... Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I certainly cant spot a flock of Sheep on the Welsh Mountains from a distance of 20 miles away!
Lol. That's because we take them down into the valleys over winter.More seriously, I don't think MS's numbers are quite right; even in good visibility I can't see south-west Wales from the top of the hills in Snowdonia but at 30 nm visibility in FS9 the Pembrokshire coast is quite obvious despite being 50+ nm away.You can see the nearby colour in the first picture (TableFog=0 and visibility at 20nm) is still deeper than in the second (TableFog=1 and 30 nm vis) while the blurred distant textures are likely to be discreetly obscured. TableFog=1 and 20 nm is horribly murky:while despite what I wrote at the start of this post I prefer the distant view and usually use TableFog=0 with 30nm unless I want the effect of a hazy summer afternoon:Regards,D

Thanks for that D!And Paul, to further counter your point of seeing what you see from your window you can see Mt. Rainier on a clear day from downtown Seattle. ~ distance as the crow flies is 75- eighty miles... (keep getting a stupid smiley when I type mega_shok.gif ) In your example you would NEVER see Mt. Rainier from Seattle which is highly unrealistic... It just furthers the point...OK, now I am really bothered, I can type 79, I can type 81 but if I try to type EIGHTY numerically I get this: mega_shok.gif :(

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk