Sign in to follow this  

737NGX 'short' checklist (from C&D to C&D). Final version!

What is it:

A list with everything you have to do in order to get the 737NGX from cold and dark to flight and back to cold and dark again. So everything you only have to check or verify is left out. This makes it the ideal list for when you haven't flown the 737NGX for a while and don't want to wade through all tutorials and manuals again to figure out how to get things done. Because this list only contains things you have to do, you also won't feel the need to skip items you don't really need, which often results in skipping items you really do need... :wink:

This list may also be very helpful to new 737NGX-pilots, although some knowledge is required to get things done (for instance how to work with the CDU). You might regard it as an addition to the tutorial: the list started out in August last year as an 'abbreviation' of the tutorial (when I 'translated' the tutorial into a list that only showed the things you really have to do) and later on (after checking out Tom Risager's tutorial) the engine start procedure from cold and dark was added.

Last week the list has been checked and reviewed by a lot of people on two forums (on this forum alone the various versions have been downloaded some 1.250 times, although not that many people reacted) and specially by a real world Boeing pilot, who made sure that the list, even though it isn't official and 'real life', did reflect real life procedures and real life flows (which resulted in a lot of things being moved to different spots in the list and also a few additions to up the realism a bit). So even though this list may be regarded as a beginners list, it will give you a realistic experience while flying the 737NGX. Or so I hope. :wink:

BTW As far as possible every knob and switch and CDU-entry is names exactly as it is in the VC, so it's almost possible to switch the wrong buttons.

What it isn't:

A real life realistic checklist with everything you have to check and verify. Since loading the cold and dark state always results in a perfect setup of the plane, a lot of things don't need to be checked or verified if you don't feel the need to so or if don't have the time for it. And apart from that, real life checklist usually won't tell you what to do and are of no real use to beginners or people who haven't flown the 737NGX for a while and whose memory isn't serving them that well anymore... (Come to think of it: I probably shouldn't have called my list a 'check'list, but well... it's too late for that now. :wink: )

For completeness sake: here are the previous topics (from last week) about the list:

http://forum.avsim.n...cd-please-check

http://forum.avsim.n...to-cd-version-3

That's it! I'm done with it! Have fun!

Thanks again Jeroen. I have used this checklist (previous version) for my last 5-6 flights and it is great. I like the 2-page format---printed it two-sided and it is very convenient. Great job!

Thanks a lot Jeroen for your effort. I will certainly dig-in.

Thanks again Jeroen. I have used this checklist (previous version) for my last 5-6 flights and it is great. I like the 2-page format---printed it two-sided and it is very convenient. Great job!

It's my pleasure. :wink: Glad to hear you like it and thanks for the compliments! :wink:

What is it:A list with everything you have to do in order to get the 737NGX from cold and dark to flight and back to cold and dark again. So everything you only have to check or verify is left out.This makes it the ideal list for when you haven't flown the 737NGX for a while and don't want to wade through all tutorials and manuals again to figure out how to get things done. Because this list only contains things you have to do, you also won't feel the need to skip items you don't really need, which often results in skipping items you really do need... :wink:This list may also be very helpful to new 737NGX-pilots, although some knowledge is required to get things done (for instance how to work with the CDU). You might regard it as an addition to the tutorial: the list started out in August last year as an 'abbreviation' of the tutorial (when I 'translated' the tutorial into a list that only showed the things you really have to do) and later on (after checking out Tom Risager's tutorial) the engine start procedure from cold and dark was added.Last week the list has been checked and reviewed by a lot of people on two forums (on this forum alone the various versions have been downloaded some 1.250 times, although not that many people reacted :( ) and specially by a real world Boeing pilot, who made sure that the list, even though it isn't official and 'real life', did reflect real life procedures and real life flows (which resulted in a lot of things being moved to different spots in the list and also a few additions to up the realism a bit). So even though this list may be regarded as a beginners list, it will give you a realistic experience while flying the 737NGX. Or so I hope. :wink:BTW As far as possible every knob and switch and CDU-entry is names exactly as it is in the VC, so it's almost possible to switch the wrong buttons. :(What it isn't:A real life realistic checklist with everything you have to check and verify. Since loading the cold and dark state always results in a perfect setup of the plane, a lot of things don't need to be checked or verified if you don't feel the need to so or if don't have the time for it. And apart from that, real life checklist usually won't tell you what to do and are of no real use to beginners or people who haven't flown the 737NGX for a while and whose memory isn't serving them that well anymore... (Come to think of it: I probably shouldn't have called my list a 'check'list, but well... it's too late for that now. :( )For completeness sake: here are the previous topics (from last week) about the list:http://forum.avsim.n...cd-please-checkhttp://forum.avsim.n...to-cd-version-3That's it! I'm done with it! Have fun!
J van E,Thanks for the short and quick version. I haven't loaded this thing up since the P2B went into hibernation. I check back from time to time to see if a military variant is being mentioned but mum is the word from the ones who know.I'm not sure mine will even load as I don't remember which of the almost updates I installed or didn't install. The new high end twin with mutions is being released tomorrow so I have been spending time over thereGood to see you are staying busy.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

This is a great checklist you have compiled here. I appreciate the work you have put into this. Very nice! :D

You are all very welcome! :wink: And don't fear, I am done editing now. :wink:

Jeroen,I think we are many who highly appreciate all your work - its great.But it seems that Bill has the same problem as I: Having followed your "secure" and then starting up again, the DUs do not come up with any data (except for the central with engine data).I simply wonder what I do wrong or don't do????I will do some intensive "trial and error" (mainly error I am afraid) to try to solve the problem. There must be one tiny switch............But then again, I managed to start both engines - setting the bleed valves as previously described - I know: I promissed not to mention bleed valves any more, but you will forgive me :pardon:RegardsCarl Michael

This was asked in the topic about version 3 of the list, but because I rather keep everything in this topic (so people will download the latest version and not an older one), I will react here. :wink: Carl reacts to a post of Bill who secured the 737NGX and then tried to start it again but had some problems with it.

Fist of all: thank you. And you are forgiven, haha! :P Secondly: it's odd... I had no problems with the screens but I could only start one engine...! Maybe doing a restart like this just isn't possible...? Let's not forget that it's not very realistic to shutdown and secure an aircraft and then start it again immediately..! :wink: In real life you would shut certain things down but you wouldn't make it cold and dark for a few minutes. (And I also wonder how many simmer will shut everything down only to start it up again for yet another flight...?) However, I am curious if it is possible because given the realism PMDG has put in this plane it simply should work... As I said (in the other topic) the VC is left exactly as it was after loading the cold and dark state, so... I will try it again myself after my next flight.

Luckily the list itself works fine the first time around... and I personally wouldn't do two flights in a row.. :wink:

Edited by J van E

On request (by PM): the exact same list, but now one 'block' per page, so 4 pages in total. This will be easier to use for those who want to have the pdf on screen (on a second monitor or with the FSX-Pdf-viewer). (And this may also be a better size for those who think the original version uses a too small font size... :( )

On request (by PM): the exact same list, but now one 'block' per page, so 4 pages in total. This will be easier to use for those who want to have the pdf on screen (on a second monitor or with the FSX-Pdf-viewer). (And this may also be a better size for those who think the original version uses a too small font size... :( )
'zactly. Thanks.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Fist of all: thank you. And you are forgiven, haha! Secondly: it's odd... I had no problems with the screens but I could only start one engine...! Maybe doing a restart like this just isn't possible...? Let's not forget that it's not very realistic to shutdown and secure an aircraft and then start it again immediately..! In real life you would shut certain things down but you wouldn't make it cold and dark for a few minutes. (And I also wonder how many simmer will shut everything down only to start it up again for yet another flight...?) However, I am curious if it is possible because given the realism PMDG has put in this plane it simply should work... As I said (in the other topic) the VC is left exactly as it was after loading the cold and dark state, so...
It simply must be possible! I have, so far, narrowed down the problem to having the yaw damper engaging after having set the IRS.May be - I shall test that - IRS need to be on "Align" while initiating the FMC (Pos Init) and only then be set to NAV. It is probably all in the manuals, but just the size of those make me turn away ;-) As I said "trial and error".And you are quite right: We don't need to secure the aircraft, but now it has become some sort of a sport to be able to leave the plane secured after a days work - and be able to come back the next day and bring it to proper life once more.Once again: YOU LIST IS GREAT!RegardsCarl Michael

It simply must be possible! I have, so far, narrowed down the problem to having the yaw damper engaging after having set the IRS.May be - I shall test that - IRS need to be on "Align" while initiating the FMC (Pos Init) and only then be set to NAV. It is probably all in the manuals, but just the size of those make me turn away ;-) As I said "trial and error".And you are quite right: We don't need to secure the aircraft, but now it has become some sort of a sport to be able to leave the plane secured after a days work - and be able to come back the next day and bring it to proper life once more.Once again: YOU LIST IS GREAT!RegardsCarl Michael
Well, I don't know what I did wrong the previous time (and what you and Bill did wrong :wink: ) but after completing a flight from LFPG to EGLL I did the complete shutdown and secure procedures, and after that I started at the top of my list again (obviously skipping the part that let's you load the cold and dark state :wink: ) and this time everything worked! No problems at all. All the screens were alright (didn't have any problems with that either the previous time) and the engines started without problems (unlike the previous time). I took off for EHAM and everything went perfectly fine. So it IS possible. Of course, I would add. Still, I really don't know what I did wrong the previous time...Funny thing is that I made a little mistake at LFPG (so during the first start up): I forgot to turn off the packs and the engines wouldn't start up well and before I discovered my mistake I had switched some other things... After I eventually got the engines running I forgot to turn on the Gens, so I was without power for a very short while. After doing all that I expected to get into trouble later on somehow, but everything went fine and after that even the restart worked flawlessly, so... all is good over here!BTW I won't be doing two flights in a row anymore: it's a bit too much, really... :wink:BTW 2 I am reading Tom Risager's tutorial from A to Z (the previous time I only searched it for mandatory steps) and it sure does help to know what you are doing exactly when you press all those buttons. Using the list is fine (of course!) but KNOWING what you are doing, is even better and more satisfying. So I advice everyone who is new to the 737NGX and who is being able to fly with my list, to read Trisager's tutorial anyway: it's even more fun that way! Obviously reading as much as you can on this forum also helps. (I wouldn't have known about the packs being on meaning trouble with startup if I hadn't read it in a topic somewhere.) Edited by J van E