Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Secret Project #1: This one is a classic!

Why avoid flying just because one plane by one company hasn't been released?

Plenty of other great aircraft to enjoy.

You know cuz screw logic

Inactive

this topic is also a classic  :P

• Upvote 1

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

Wow !

Where did that come from Captain, ?

Nice, very Nice indeed and thanks you. :)

Why avoid flying just because one plane by one company hasn't been released?

Plenty of other great aircraft to enjoy.

You are right my friend, but...

I was so bored of high tech flying and navigation by that time, that I started flying the A2A B17, and it is truly a joy to fly!

I also flown the Carenados... they are great too, but they are small!! you know... I never thought it would take that long!!

I really want a big "new oldie"!!   :Raised Eyebrow:

I was so bored of high tech flying and navigation by that time, that I started flying the A2A B17, and it is truly a joy to fly!

As well, I'm bored with High tech flying. I hope more simmers are feeling that way and are willing to try the DC-6 when it comes out. I truly hope its a financial success for PMDG so they'll consider other classics in the future.

Was extremely glad to hear (in Capt. Randazzo's 17JUN update) that Alexander Metzger is coming on board the DC-6 project.

For those who don't know him - he's one of the best two or three flight dynamics designers in the business, outside of the tubeliner world.  I'd put him in the same category as Rob Young of RealAir, and maybe Bernt Stolle (I've spent less time with Bernt's work but people I respect think that highly of him).

Alexander has the rare gift of being able to create an aircraft that feels like a physical object in space, with mass and inertia.

He goes way back, but if you want to sample his current work, try the Sibwings Antonov AN-2 or Manfred Jahn's (wonderful) C-47v2.

Am really looking forward to the DC-6 now.

So I was looking over this again (more like drooling) and couldnt help but notice an interesting panel on the center console. Range... stab... tilt... are we getting a vintage weather radar? I don't see one anywhere, but I see those controls! I would love to get a vintage radar in this, now that PMDG is willing to make one. Also, does anybody know if there will be a way to select a cockpit without the GPS?  PMDG_DC6_Virtual_Cockpit_03.jpg

Daniel Miller

So can the 777 party please go home so that this classic plane can get finished.

I wonder could this be their X-plane offering also?  Dual development that serves as something to get their feet wet in X-plane and satisfy those that are eager for something besides another Boeing.

I'm so ready for this bird to see the light of day!!!!! 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

So I was looking over this again (more like drooling) and couldnt help but notice an interesting panel on the center console. Range... stab... tilt... are we getting a vintage weather radar? I don't see one anywhere, but I see those controls! I would love to get a vintage radar in this, now that PMDG is willing to make one. Also, does anybody know if there will be a way to select a cockpit without the GPS?  PMDG_DC6_Virtual_Cockpit_03.jpg

That all for radio navigation.

Inactive

As well, I'm bored with High tech flying. I hope more simmers are feeling that way and are willing to try the DC-6 when it comes out. I truly hope its a financial success for PMDG so they'll consider other classics in the future.

Little off topic, but I saw a documentary about female russian pilots (think it was WWII). They had one group and all was female. The airplane was extremely basic and primitiv, so they couldn't bring any parachutes, that would make the plane too heavy. It was between -30 and -40 degree C outside in winter without wind, and they flew open cockpit. For navigation they used a map and looked down on the ground for hills and rivers. The plane couldn't fly very high, so they had to avoid cities and their lights. Bombs was dropped with bare hands. Each plane could take two smaller bombs, else it was too heavy.

Sold. Thanks Robert. I am indeed a fan of old radials. There is nothing like P&W at daylight. My first real job was loading chemicals on ag planes. We would start at daybreak. The old radial would blow flames right at you while you where on the wings. I remember my old boss smoking and fueling and that old radial with its cool breeze off the right side. you could hear the whip of the prop at low idle. Those old planes are what drove me to the airplane world. I was 14 when I went to work at that airport. When I turned turned 15 he asked me if I wanted to learn to fly. I jumped at the idea and that lead to the introduction of a man I called Capt. Young. He was an old Stearman instructor from the WWII era. He also worked as an A&P on the field, working on those old radials. Man I remember greasing the hubs every morning. Checking the oil, fueling, loading and getting the day in the south moving. I grew up in the Mississippi Delta in a small town where boredom was common place.

Flying is where I find my peace. I was 15 when I solo'd and lost my first shirt tail. I Still hung on the wall of KCKM up until a few years ago. I managed the FBO there for three different owners and worked there until I finally realized I would starve to death to be close to airplanes. Another pleasant cross of paths I have had was with Dick and Betty Fernandez. He was an old 6 Captain and she was what is known as a WASP. What a pleasure I had talking to them. They lived on Moon Lake and I ate dinner there with the two of them often. Dominic Carrero, was another old WWII mechanic whose introduction to airplane mechanics was a B-17. He said he was in the National Guard and when he got to England, they threw a manual at him and told him to learn it. It was the power generation system of the 17 and that is how he became an A&P. That leads to Charles "Hutch" Hutchins. He is still an A&P on that old field. So if your ever in the vicinity of KCKM stop in and say hello. I live in Middle TN now and work all over the country. I am currently in Springfield IL. KSPI is a nice field but not as nostalgic as KCKM. Fletcher field got its name from a local guy that died in WWII and it still has the old hangers. I have rambled on long enough. Thanks for taking on these ventures and I can't wait to see what comes out next. Yours Truly R. J. McGill.