Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

"New" Saitek Throttles and a little project

I just received new Saitek throttles, after sending in my old ones due to pot problems and noisy axis.I think Saitek changed something, because these "new" throttles, which are the same as old ones, feel completely different.The old ones were a cheap feeling, moving forward and backwards. These new one are way harder to move, also the movement is way way smoother. Axes are still a bit noisy, nothing like the old one though, but time is going to tell what's in store for me.Reverse buttons which were completely malfunctioning are now good.And I got an idea how to quickly make a two-throttle lever out of 4 throttle lever (aka "CH Throttle Lever Clips).Pictures are worth 1000 words:

What 4in1 setup? If you mean the one lever for 4 engines, then it comes with a Saitek throttle...

Thanks Srdan!I saw what you did and immediately ordered another throttle last night for overnight delivery and did the exact same thing... Really makes you feel like you are pushing a full throttle now instead of using two fingers!At the same time I also saw the Amazon recommendation for another product others had looked at. (Love how they do that) Well in this case it was the Logitech G13 and holy cr*p I am in love!!!! I have taken ALL of my keyboard commands and put them onto this single keypad! I have one set for all of my ground commands and a second set for all my flight commands. So Ctrl+SHFT+W for AES is now a single button... I have a spare 3rd and 4th slot I am going to use for specific aircraft key commands. It even has a little joystick built in so I don't need the keyboard to "walk" about the cockpit or around the plane for my pre-flight anymore. Couple that with an LCD display that has a countdown/stopwatch feature, shows you CPU/RAM usage on the fly, can display RSS Feeds (can you say wxr!) and is backlit... I literally just transformed my entire keyboard interaction and multi-keystroke commands into single keystrokes! I can literally push that big keyboard aside for a tiny little keypad, brilliant!Thought you would like it (If you don't already have one LOL)http://www.geek.com/...eboard-2009034/logitech_g13_02.jpg

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

No, don't have it, but was seriously thinking of getting one a while ago.Just didn't yet got around it... PFC has set me back 600€. Ordered today. Going to wire the money tomorrow and then the hardest 2 weeks of waiting! Ugh!Thx for a brief review.

Wow! PFC yoke? ugh, I don't do well with waiting, more of an instant gratification person lol! Waiting is the hardest part!@!

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Word Not Allowed, Can you take some pics of the modification you have done to the mounting system to get your throttles to the correct angle please? What did you use to make that piece?That is my next project this weekend!Thanks as always,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Uhhh..... veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery hard to explain.It took me lots of trial and error to get it done, plus a good friend is a carpenter, he cut me some really weird looking angled pieces of wood and I then put them together.It's going to be very hard to recognize.Basically what I did:I asked him to cut a big block of wood, but he didn't have it so we had to put two together, thus the big "cut" in the middle.Then I decided on the appropriate size (sorry, don't have time now to measure exactly, going to bed...) and then we cut the corners up and down.Then you can notice on the pics that the throttle itself is mounted on the separate piece of wood, which is there for two reasons:So I can screw it onto the pedestal AND so that I can lead the middle cable out. I cut that myself out of the wood, a sort of a canal...Be careful about the thin plate which is holding the throttles, I bought that one separately, just a piece of wooden plate, which I screwed onto the main base and THEN we cut the whole thing, so that it's nicely cut.Also the thin plate is screwed with the original Saitek screws, but they also have to sink into the plate, so drilled with a small drill first, to put them through, and then just a bit with a bigger drill, to sink them into the wood, to be able to screw it onto the base neatly.In the end, I just painted everything with a black wood paint...Also had to be careful about screw positions, so they don't cross each other.As I said, quite fiddly work, and I did get it wrong the first time...I hope you don't need a 2nd visit to the shop! :)Some closeups:

Thanks Word Not Allowed! That is my next project, I like the angle of your throttles much better!Thanks again,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I believe the angle is now much more closer to the real world, heavies concerned. With GA, angle was correct, they mostly go from horizontal to 90degree up.

What is so hard to understand?4 separate - 747.3 - md11, one left unused2 - 737, two left unused or just connect each two to get more real to life levers, and also harder to move, also probably more real.Still in 737 config two are not assigned.All assignments courtesy fsuipc profiles for each engine config.

It is also about "feel." As Word Not Allowed accurately described, it feels more realistic to move a throttle lever that requires your entire hand opposed to moving the throttles with one finger...Word Not Allowed, is there any chance you can take some measurements for me today so i know what to cut...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk