Sign in to follow this  
billb1981

Autoland w/ Flare? 2nd Autopilot not engaging

Hey there guys/gals.....I'm a bit confused, and was hoping someone could help. I've been flying the PMDG 737-700 and I've got what I think everything setup for a autoland. I've got both Navs set to the ILS frequency, switched over to APP, my CMD A is on and working, but I select the 2nd autopilot and it stays on for a few seconds then shuts off.Both F/D's are on, the realistic A/P is off in the setup of the FMC, so I'm not getting the aircraft to flare. Any thoughts?Bill Johnson

Edited by billb1981

Does the 2nd AP turn off or the first one...? I had this problem quite some times: AP 1 was on, I turned on AP 2 and after 2 sec AP 1 was off. And the other way around. This was in the time I still used VOR/LOC before I armed APP. Now I skip VOR/LOC and use APP straight away. I see you already use APP... One thing that always works is wait until the glideslope is intercepted: at that moment the speed window becomes available and you can enter Vref: as soon as that's possible, I can usually also turn on the 2nd AP without switching the 1st one off. Don't really know why, though...EDIT:And what Peter said... :(

Edited by J van E

Hey there guys/gals.....I'm a bit confused, and was hoping someone could help. I've been flying the PMDG 737-700 and I've got what I think everything setup for a autoland. I've got both Navs set to the ILS frequency, switched over to APP, my CMD A is on and working, but I select the 2nd autopilot and it stays on for a few seconds then shuts off.Both F/D's are on, the realistic A/P is off in the setup of the FMC, so I'm not getting the aircraft to flare. Any thoughts?Bill Johnson
MAKE SURE U ENTERED CORRECT ILS ETC...IT MUST WORK Edited by lufthansa285

If my memory doesn't fail, the 737 FCOM states the second autopilot must be engaged at least 1500ft AGL or it can't be engaged, for autoland, ILS freq. on both NAV radios,and course set in both CRS, just if you forget...the aircraft must be set for landing and the "before landing checklist" read before 1000ft AGL. I don't have my FCOM right here :( Edited by larrywell

Do you even have to set the course? Seems kinda pointless to set the course for an ILS landing. I dont know, I never autoland

If you are on a localizer intercept heading and both Nav radios tuned you should be able to select the 2nd autopilot just after pressing APP.If not, something is not correct. It's that simple.Fred.

Hey guys....let me know if I'm crazy...Both Nav radios set.Glideslope is perfect, I go to press CMD B and it holds for a second, then either kicks off the CMD A, or it just shuts off. I've pressed the App, it's not turning green, it just seems to gray out but does follow down. Also it says single channel the whole time.-Bill

Edited by billb1981

Just a thought, does the FMC ILS freq and course agree with FSX freq and course for arrival airport?

Edited by Dave Baggs

Dave Baggs.

EGLL.

Are you trying to capture the Glide slope from above? See page 0.00.55 of PMDG's introduction under "Glide-Slope Capture before Localizer" If this option is chosen it may not be possible to autoland.

Edited by Nixon

I'm able to autoland, just not get the 2nd ap engaged and flare.
Without 2nd auto pilot no autoland available only CAT 1 manual landing.

Dave Baggs.

EGLL.

Ok, perhaps that's where I'm confused. Is it possible the 2nd light is coming on and just going off, but it's still saying single channel

Edited by billb1981