Sign in to follow this  
capitan_cg

oil temp

I don't think it's modelled - Spent a while testing this the other day and it just seems to be apparently random - Shame, realair managed to get it right!

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Would be nice seeing it being an item to monitor. But I wonder how oil temp sensible the P6TA in the rw Malibu is. I couldn't find reports about a touchy character like in the Duke when climbing in a high performance manner. I just saw that extreme cold temps require the closing of the oil cooler door, something like -30C.In my humble eyes, the Realair T Duke is a fine bird, but the engine model (just the behaviour) on the Carenado is superior to it. The spool up times and e. g. taxi behaviour is much closer to that one I saw on a bunch of rw videos. I even like the older DA Cheyenne engine model some more as the one on the T Duke. Personal preference maybe, still a great plane in FSX (Duke and Cheyenne).

I am a RW retired pilot and a can tell you that turbine duke engines and flight model is very superior that the p46T.P46T is a eye candy vc but the rest mmmm?

Edited by capitan_cg

So you say that wonky torque and rpm behavior when e. g. taxing the T Duke is close to rw? Really, doesn't fit to what I saw, but each to his own of course. As said, I can't complain about the Carenado engine model. Very enjoyable and I think the FDE modeler invested quite some time to reach that state.Not to be read the wrong way, the T Duke is a role-model of a fine bird, but I think the dev itself mentioned, that some items had to be tricked or resulted in tradeoffs, e. g. on the spool up times. http://forum.avsim.n...67#entry1945567 Others may have lead to workarounds and I think the taxi behavior of the T Duke shows that some of them lead to side effects, ones which the Carenado fortunately avoids in my eyes.As for other systems on the plane. Well, it took me some time to get what I need and I really have to thank the friendly folks in this forum section again. So I hear you on the modelling accuracy, though I really can't complain about any FDE parts.More on topic, the oil cooling. You can see Bernt asking for any touchy temp character on the Duke's P6Ts and the response shows that not all items are matching rw T Duke character traits, but add some fun parts for us sim flyers. Not a problem in my eyes, but surely worth a note if the T Duke gets declared to some reference. http://forum.avsim.n...77#entry1944477Another one here. http://forum.avsim.n...51#entry1943351I actually like the 'watch the temps' part of the Duke, but, as seen, the rw may not be that dramatic. Thumbs up for very honest and friendly answers from Rob there by the way. A part to buy at Realair again, and again, and again. :(

Edited by CoolP

I am a RW retired pilot and a can tell you that turbine duke engines and flight model is very superior that the p46T.P46T is a eye candy vc but the rest mmmm?
Have to agree.The Carenado malibu flies like an Airbus (fly by wire)Great engine modeling?????Sure...if you think that you can simply firewall the thottle in a PT6 and not blow it up or that the oil temp will go from stone cold to operating temp in 2.5secs or leaving the oil door closed will not result in an overheat..or the ice door...oh wait that is just another Carenado non functional switch....Pretty unrealistic if you ask meEdit - I'm Not trying to rubbish this aircraft I do sometimes enjoy flying it...and the Real air duke hasnt quite got it right eitherI had a real good look through the RW JetProb forums....these guys are constantly Hitting ITT or Gas gen limits (over 101.5%) at high altitude or hot days and quite often have to use 104-105% in high altitude climbs (max 5 mins...its even written on the engine placquard in this version) Yet no matter what I do this Version will not go over 101.5% and ITT will get nowhere near max.is there a way to tweak the airfile to be able to do so?....obviously failures wont be modeled...I did manage to fix the fuel pressure Issue and a couple of other tweaks to make the start up temps and pressue a little more beliveable before the new patch came out Edited by Zebra

Well, I don't question you folks and I appreciate detailed input and insights. Might be a bit sharp on the wording, Mr. Zebra, especially when looking at former posts. :rolleyes:However, if you folks reference to e. g. the T Duke, you've surely read the quotes from the dev itself, stating that he's for example intentionally enhanced (means 'rendered too touchy') the oil temp stuff to allow the FSX folks some more fun. So I really doubt that this fun enhanced behaviour is of any use when being used as a rw reference in flight sim forums. He also states about the tradeoffs in modelling the turbine engines in FSX. Surely worth a read before expecting 1:1 rw behaviour on that 30+ Dollar addon, or any turbine addon in FSX.

I had a real good look through the RW JetProb forums....these guys are constantly Hitting ITT or Gas gen limits (over 101.5%) at high altitude or hot days and quite often have to use 104-105% in high altitude climbs (max 5 mins...its even written on the engine placquard in this version) Yet no matter what I do this Version will not go over 101.5% and ITT will get nowhere near max.
Well, I was looking into some JetProp (that's a P) forums and the only oil temp concerns I've found on that derated engine where from some folks with a faulty oil door arrangement. I could be wrong though, but at the end of the day, you've bought a flight simulator addon, not a PT6 certification program. However, I think that, in a polite wording, every dev will be very open to your critics. :smile:You've got two separate engine models available. That's the one from the latest installer and the optional one, from the patch on the Carenado site. If none of those suits your needs, you may have to stick to constructive critics, as hard as it may seem. :(

I do agree that the duke isnt perfect either, I think I have been spoilt buy A2a/Accusim in regards to engine modeling haha.Failures relating to oil temp etc I am not concerned about, what I would like to see is a rise in oil temp with the oil door closed and in certain situations see the oil temp exceed normal operating temps, eg full power climb on a warm day, or the Ng % hit 105% at high alititude, full power and low prop rpm etc.I am well aware that Carenado is not PMDG or a2a however Carenado have been around for a long time yet still have not addressed these simple issues that date back to the FS9 days, which really takes away from what has the potential to be a brilliant GA aircraft.I do a lot of IFR GA flying online (vatsim) and having things like a functional Itent button on the radio stack (like the T duke) or easy to find click spots on the VC make a world of difference.Anyway, I am about to take the P46 for a quick run, see if I can convince myself that switches dont matter lol.

I lay no claim to being an aircraft modeler but I know there are people here that can answer this question. Would the functional modeling of the oil temperature be done with the air file or is it something that has to be incorporated in the model itself? Maybe both? If the OT is a part of the air file, could a functional OT be added to the current air file? Thanks.

Edited by Lifeguard911

As great the package is, the RA Duke Royal Turbine Conversion is a right royal pain to taxi. It is really difficult to find that sweet spot to get you rolling and then stay rolling without speeding up too much. I am no PT6 pilot, so I will not even attempt to say what the RW behaviour is. The Duke T in the air is amazing, but I find the engine behaviour of the Malibu feels right too and does so well on the ground, to a layman who has never had the opportunity to fire up and taxi one of these babies in the real world (read: ENVY)Bernt has made a real difference to the buy it buy not nature of Carenado for me. A

Well I must say that again I find the Duke and absolute pleasure to taxi. this is now the second guy I see who complain about the taxi "issue". I can take her for a taxi from crawling speed up to a steady speed and slow down etc.. Never ever have the duke been a handfull for me to taxi. Turns coming up. slow down nicely... speed up again etc.. and I really mean anything from 1kn to 10 knots taxi speed can be maintained easily..and it is rarely necessity to use brakes to slow her taxi speed down..What hardware do you use. Is your controller setup correctly.?

Edited by bliksimpie

for the guys that stuggle to taxi the Tduke,have a go using the beta range...not much, just a couple of presses of "F2" will stop the speed running away.Cheers

How i can´t configure the throttle cuadrant of saitek the stage of "beta range" without entry in "reverse mode". I have configured my cuadrant for when i pull back all the throttle axis entry in reverser, but i want configure in that way .. using beta range to taxi like in real life !!

I have not any problem to taxi the DUKE with the condition levers only and eventually if i need the revers.Duke, at the moment, is the KING in the FS GA world. :(

Believe it or not, I have no interest at all in the Duke or how it taxies. This is a PA46T forum and I don't want to read about some other product. Isn't there somewhere else you can take this? Don't Real Air have a forum?