Sign in to follow this  
thibodba57

Why not a Monthly service fee with an SDK

This isn't a flame on MS, or the supporters of Flight or even the Naysayers but rather and idea I wish Microsoft would entertain. So please read the post before anyone roasts me :-DI was invited to the beta at the beginning of January. I stopped playing after a couple days because I realized that Flight was just going to be a GA only game. Its not that I don't like GA, I like to think I enjoy everything aviation has to offer. I'll even go further and say that I thought Flight was a very smoother running program with excellent characteristics. At first I was angry, now I'm dissapointed but a bit more understanding. They have stockholders they have to answer to and need to keep generating capitol. Perfectly understandable. But as a consumer they do have to answer to us to, I keep hearing people talking about how everyone's got a entitlement mentality. Well I'm the consumer I'd hope they'd want to listen to their market, if not maybe they should listen because there won't be any changes made unless people are allowed to talk. Enough on that.My idea is quite simple, why doesn't Microsoft generate the world give us continuous updates with a monthly subscription fee? I mean I pay MMO's a monthly fee...its a working business model that has had enormous success. That should take away the need to have the DLC's (of course they could keep that around if they wanted extra revenue) and then release an SDK for all the 3PD.I mean think about it, wouldn't everyone have liked to have had continuous updates for FSX? Wouldn't you like to have added features? Think of the potential of a game that is continuously being developed, there would be no need for a FSXII they could just keep developing Flight for hardware updates and what not. Anyways thats my two cents on everything thats happening. I'm not going to bother telling everyone where I stand on 29 Feb, my goal was to just propose a solution to a possible problem Why speak up if you don't have a solution to offer right?A bit about me. I'm a commercial rated Pilot that flies for an Alaskan Part 135 outfit based in Anchorage, AK flying Beech 1900's. I'm also a member of the Alaska Air National Guard flying C-130's. I've been a student and a Instructor. Flown the whole world. Flying is my life, at work and at home. This last thing I'll say without General Aviation there isn't Commercial Aviation and vice versa. I would love to see Flight! encompass all aspects of flying not just one. Brian Thibodeaux

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Wow I can't believe I didn't catch the title....Idk if an admin can change that but it was meant to read."Why not a Monthly service fee with an SDK"

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Guest jahman

Welcome to AvSim!

I'm also a member of the Alaska Air National Guard flying C-130's.
Had three C-130s once fly by me (in a glider). A sight to behold!
why doesn't Microsoft generate the world give us continuous updates with a monthly subscription fee?
Yes, many of us wonder the same thing!Certainly a yearly subsciption in the form of an SP we could buy fixing all bugs reported during the year and maybe introducing some new feature (e.g. static and fadeouts on radio communication) could have been the way to go.
I would love to see Flight! encompass all aspects of flying not just one.
Many of us here agree with your point of view. Alas, there seems little we can do. Any chance you can buzz Redmond in a C-130? (Just kidding...)Cheers,- jahman. Edited by jahman

Wow I can't believe I didn't catch the title....Idk if an admin can change that but it was meant to read."Why not a Monthly service fee with an SDK"
Done ;-)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

My idea is quite simple, why doesn't Microsoft generate the world give us continuous updates with a monthly subscription fee?
for me that wouldn't quite work out as I find very little time these days to fly, maybe 4 hours a month. some months I do not fly at all due to family, business and travel. for that reason I would not even consider the P3D dev license at 10 bucks a month, I rather pay once and can then use the content when and as often (or not) as I like. but I can understand that someone who can dedicate more time is willing to spend a flat rate.

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Quick thought on this, and let's please not start with all the in depth legal talk :) (although I am sort of the one bringing it up), but could this be an issue with LM and the license that they bought from MS? In fact, is it possible that a "whole world" Flight would compete with LM, and therefore be "illegal?"note: I am in no way trying to convey this as fact. :)

Quick thought on this, and let's please not start with all the in depth legal talk :) (although I am sort of the one bringing it up), but could this be an issue with LM and the license that they bought from MS? In fact, is it possible that a "whole world" Flight would compete with LM, and therefore be "illegal?"note: I am in no way trying to convey this as fact. :)
We know nothing about the agreement between MS and LM and the legal issues are off limits in this forum.

Quick thought on this, and let's please not start with all the in depth legal talk :) (although I am sort of the one bringing it up), but could this be an issue with LM and the license that they bought from MS? In fact, is it possible that a "whole world" Flight would compete with LM, and therefore be "illegal?"
If Flight had turned out to be FS11 as several had hoped then surely that would have run into the same issue? Just charging a monthly subscription is hardly likely to infringe the licence with LM.Bottom line - I don't believe this is an issue but I'm happy to be corrected by those with more knowledge. :)

Give people power to really test their personality.

Certainly a yearly subsciption in the form of an SP we could buy fixing all bugs reported during the year and maybe introducing some new feature (e.g. static and fadeouts on radio communication) could have been the way to go.
I don't think a yearly fee would cover what MS is trying to cover. I mean thats what we had with FSX almost. Just give an honest thought, is 5 or 10 a month so much to seperate from on a monthly basis? I've played numerous games that cost more than that a month and never minded the subscription fee. I for one wouldn't have a problem to fork up a fee for Flight if it kept MS developing more features and out of the aftermarket addons we all love. Just my take.
but could this be an issue with LM and the license that they bought from MS? In fact, is it possible that a "whole world" Flight would compete with LM, and therefore be "illegal?"
Flight isn't FSX so I don't see how this would infringe on any license. Its an entirely new game with graphics engine. LM wouldn't care if microsoft released the whole world, different customer base anyways. I'll reiterate again so everyone realizes this. I actually enjoyed my Flight experience. I thought it was an excellent simulator as far as performance weather and texture quality goes. I only stopped testing it when I realized it wasn't going to be like the sims I've been flying since the mid 90's.-Brian Thibodeaux

beta.gif   

My Liveries

LM wouldn't care if microsoft released the whole world, different customer base anyways.
Brian, this is pretty much the same conclusion I came to as i thought about it a bit more. Their "target audience" doesn't seem to be the same.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.