Sign in to follow this  
adr179

FSrealWX lite - it keeps it's promises

I did 3-4 flights with it.It had excellent behavior, never crashing, and giving me always smooth changes at winds.However I never saw any clouds around me, which I considered rather unnatural, so I went back to REX-2.Why it never displayed any clouds?
Maybe the weather wasn't cloudy that time?!

It must be user error because all of my metars show 10SM and that's all I get for flight visibility.... never more.... I will clarify this is below the FL's.... I'm talking small airplane here, cruising below 100....
There is a adjustable setting under Options that says: "When Metar visibility is specified 9999 or 10SM (in km)". It defaults to 30 (km?) but the range can be changed.Todd

Just to be clear, this is just a weather engine, correct? There aren't any improved textures included?

Yes, just the weather injection, so to speak. Two methods there, Simconnect and via FSUIPC. Worth a try. Nice overcast impression here for example.

There is a adjustable setting under Options that says: "When Metar visibility is specified 9999 or 10SM (in km)". It defaults to 30 (km?) but the range can be changed.Todd
Thanks Todd - that was the option I've been searching for. I set it to 80km ~ 50 mi.EDIT: Argh! It doesn't appear to be functional. I'm still getting the default of 10

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It's crashing for me on every flight longer than an hour; I've tried setting it to a lower range, to auto, to update from each of the servers and more. It's running as administrator on windows 7 64-bit. Not entirely sure what's happening, but I'm going to continue to use it as it is the best weather depiction engine I have used so far and at the great price of zero is an amazing piece of software that should be up for an award (AVSIM take note!).

EDIT: Argh! It doesn't appear to be functional. I'm still getting the default of 10
It's crashing for me on every flight longer than an hour; I've tried setting it to a lower range, to auto, to update from each of the servers and more. It's running as administrator on windows 7 64-bit. Not entirely sure what's happening, but I'm going to continue to use it as it is the best weather depiction engine I have used so far and at the great price of zero is an amazing piece of software that should be up for an award (AVSIM take note!).
What version are you using? 1243 is the latest stable version, I believe. The 1300's versions are in development. 1243 runs stable and I can change the visibility option fine. When I tried the 1316 or whatever it is I would get a lot of crashes as well. Found out these were development versions the hard way. The stable versions have RC next to the version number and the others have DEV.

I run 1234 and the vis goes to 10 when the metar reads 10smbtw this is all under the cloud layer. Is there some magical haze layer that this program uses beneath the cloud level?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Considering this is the third Active Sky bashing post by newbie Escin I am beginning to think he has a hidden agenda. Not getting results and not liking a product comes with any computer program but going out of your way to bash a product stinks to high heaven.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I run 1234 and the vis goes to 10 when the metar reads 10smbtw this is all under the cloud layer. Is there some magical haze layer that this program uses beneath the cloud level?
I don't think so. I don't know if anyone else asked you this and I'm sure you knew but I'll ask anyway. Is it a possibility the vis is actually 10sm? When I get good visibility reported in the METAR it has been rendered in the sim fine. If it is clear outside and the metar where I live says ten it's been actually good vis in the sim also. All I can suggest is maybe play with the settings. I have had the settings go back to default mysteriously a few times on me, check them before you set the weather every time to make sure they stick. Try setting the 10sm visibility reported setting even higher, like 100km and see what happens. It took me a little bit to figure them out. The auto setting seems to work the best because it injects weather as your plane moves in the sim depending on what radius you set. The brief manual it has is a little lacking, but apparently it is a work in progress. It has worked just fine for me, is way better than the default real weather and for the low price of "FREE", I am not going to complain. EDIT: You could also try posting in the forums and asking them. You can get there by going to the info selection on top of the menu when the program is running and going to "about".

Ok, I guess I made a little error. I actually updated to 1340 and didn't recall. Download 1340. Its been running stable on my system with win7 64bit. When vis is reported at 10sm and its not actually 10sm, it renders unlimited visibility in the sim. Do I know it will for sure do that 100% of the time? No. However, in every case I have run into this, I've gotten unlimited visibility. Sorry for the confusion.

Considering this is the third Active Sky bashing post by newbie Escin I am beginning to think he has a hidden agenda. Not getting results and not liking a product comes with any computer program but going out of your way to bash a product stinks to high heaven.
HelloI think you are correct. Despite all of his problems I have never seen a post from him in the Hifi Forum.

Yup, a great bit of freeware. However, I am eagerly waiting to see the outcome of REX esentials, if it ever rears it's head...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Lots of people I know are using combo of REX or AS textures and FSXrealwxlite for weather download and injection into the sim. I think it's quite a good combination, using best functions of more programs. Nothing against REX or AS, but FSXrealwxlite is popular for, by my opinion, one reason - it's really light on resources, computer hardly knows it's running in the background.

Ok, I guess I made a little error. I actually updated to 1340 and didn't recall. Download 1340. Its been running stable on my system with win7 64bit. When vis is reported at 10sm and its not actually 10sm, it renders unlimited visibility in the sim. Do I know it will for sure do that 100% of the time? No. However, in every case I have run into this, I've gotten unlimited visibility. Sorry for the confusion.
Anytime the station reports 10SM I get just that - a hazy limited visibility, consistent with 10 mi. When I climb above the clouds it goes away. I'll get the new version anyway.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |