Sign in to follow this  
IAF747

Out of Memory CTD-due to 1GB Video Card?

Running the PMDG 744, AES6.5 and landing at UK2000 EGLL, I experienced a first. An immediate crash to desktop and the alert window said I had run out of memory.I had recently installed a EnGTX550ti card, upgrading from a Geforce 8800GS 376MB. Even though the new card has some flash new graphics I feel the memory is being robbed.I read somewhere on the forums that in XP if you increase the RAM in your video card, you actually steal it from the memory board installed in your machine.I have 2GB memory on a P5NE-SLI Motherboard with a E7200 Core2Duo Intel chip.I recently upgraded my PSU to Corsair 650W.

Edited by IAF747

Typically XP does not like large amounts of Video memory. normally there is a /3gb option but with only 2 gigs of physical memory that is not an option for you.Unfortunately, no good answer other than get an additional 2 gigs of memory, a 64 bit OS and make FS9 largeaddressaware

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Thanks psolk.Or to put the old video card back in. Which is VERY reliable and I never had issues. But with the latest gen video cards, I would think Windows 7 would be my best option.

Edited by IAF747

Typically XP does not like large amounts of Video memory. normally there is a /3gb option but with only 2 gigs of physical memory that is not an option for you.Unfortunately, no good answer other than get an additional 2 gigs of memory, a 64 bit OS and make FS9 largeaddressaware
Actually you can still use the /3GB option with 2GB. Remember we're talking about Virtual Address Space, not actual memory usage. The only thing you would need is to allocate enough Virtual Memory , so memory can swap in and out of your physical memory. (Paging) This will have a slight performance impact, but it can be done. I did it before upgrading to 4GB memory. Worked well with no CTD's or OOM's using the PMDG 744X. The issue with the 1GB card is you can't allocate the full 3GB VAS. A USERVA=2306 (and you'd probably get away with up to 2816 (That's my setting no problems with the 744)) would be needed. Edited by tf51d

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Actually you can still use the /3GB option with 2GB. Remember we're talking about Virtual Address Space, not actual memory usage. The only thing you would need is to allocate enough Virtual Memory , so memory can swap in and out of your physical memory. (Paging) This will have a slight performance impact, but it can be done. I did it before upgrading to 4GB memory. Worked well with no CTD's or OOM's using the PMDG 744X. The issue with the 1GB card is you can't allocate the full 3GB VAS. A USERVA=2306 (and you'd probably get away with up to 2816 (That's my setting no problems with the 744)) would be needed.
True sorry, it is indeed 2 OR MORE gigs of physical memory, I apologize! Although we are indeed talking VAS, i knew there was a bare minimum for implementing the switch, not sure why I thought it was more than 2 gigs only though.Mea Culpa
Thanks psolk.Or to put the old video card back in. Which is VERY reliable and I never had issues. But with the latest gen video cards, I would think Windows 7 would be my best option.
Correct, i would go Win 7 64 but for that 2 gigs of physical is definitely the minimum so for now I would go with old card :) Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Actually you can still use the /3GB option with 2GB. Remember we're talking about Virtual Address Space, not actual memory usage. The only thing you would need is to allocate enough Virtual Memory , so memory can swap in and out of your physical memory. (Paging) This will have a slight performance impact, but it can be done. I did it before upgrading to 4GB memory. Worked well with no CTD's or OOM's using the PMDG 744X. The issue with the 1GB card is you can't allocate the full 3GB VAS. A USERVA=2306 (and you'd probably get away with up to 2816 (That's my setting no problems with the 744)) would be needed.
True sorry, it is indeed 2 OR MORE gigs of physical memory, I apologize! Although we are indeed talking VAS, i knew there was a bare minimum for implementing the switch, not sure why I thought it was more than 2 gigs only though.Mea CulpaCorrect, i would go Win 7 64 but for that 2 gigs of physical is definitely the minimum so for now I would go with old card :)
I can not find boot.ini file. I have a boot.bak in the c: root directory.I am currently doing a search for my boot.iniI will try the option of the 3GB switch and the userva value quoted here.I just did a search and remember now that I had a beta trial of Windows 7 on that computer, so that explains why I have to choose my OS on the system each time I start/boot. I wonder what I am looking for as I deleted the trial OS. Edited by IAF747

Make sure you do not have windows hiding protected system files in your windows explorer options...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Make sure you do not have windows hiding protected system files in your windows explorer options...
Yes in the windows explorer options I have 'show hidden files system etc'. But I had to blind open it in notepad when I discovered it was there (after loading boot.bak I altered it and was going to save it as boot.ini) but not being shown for some reason. maybe it has to do with my Beta trial of Windows 7 from before.Unless there is another system option in control panel that I don't know about.I managed to change it though.I wonder why it is still hidden.Now to check how much memory I have available.Will FS9 now use all available memory or do I need to add 'largeaddressaware' to it?

Yes in the windows explorer options I have 'show hidden files system etc'. But I had to blind open it in notepad when I discovered it was there (after loading boot.bak I altered it and was going to save it as boot.ini) but not being shown for some reason. maybe it has to do with my Beta trial of Windows 7 from before.Unless there is another system option in control panel that I don't know about.I managed to change it though.I wonder why it is still hidden.Now to check how much memory I have available.Will FS9 now use all available memory or do I need to add 'largeaddressaware' to it?
In Windows XP You can access the boot.ini file in your system properties. Right click on your My Computer icon, select properties - Advanced - Startup and Recovery. You'll see a selector with the current default option, below that you'll see an edit button, click that and it will open the boot.ini file in notepad. You must have administrator rights to edit this file. For FS9, you wll have to make it largeaddressaware. You do this with a program CFF Explorer if you don't already have it, here is the link. For FSX is you have SP2 or acceleration, it already is aware. If you still use SP1 or RTM Then you will also need to make it largeaddressaware.http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php Edited by tf51d

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

In Windows XP You can access the boot.ini file in your system properties. Right click on your My Computer icon, select properties - Advanced - Startup and Recovery. You'll see a selector with the current default option, below that you'll see an edit button, click that and it will open the boot.ini file in notepad. You must have administrator rights to edit this file. For FS9, you wll have to make it largeaddressaware. You do this with a program CFF Explorer if you don't already have it, here is the link. For FSX is you have SP2 or acceleration, it already is aware. If you still use SP1 or RTM Then you will also need to make it largeaddressaware.http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php
No wonder I was having problems. I tried the 4GB patch, but wasn't having much success. Every time I went to outside view the screen went white and the FPS dropped to 0-1!I'll let you know how I go on this.

I too operate XP mediaAlso have CTD's using PMDG B744 FS9, arriving into UK2000 LHR, it normally happens about 20 Miles from LHR itself, will post my specs later

hey Daniel, Sorry had to call it a night last night, how are you making out?

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

hey Daniel, Sorry had to call it a night last night, how are you making out?
As above, more problems. I'll try the explorer suite. Will let you know later.

As above, more problems. I'll try the explorer suite. Will let you know later.
OK, a couple of things to keep in mind...Do you have the separate boot.ini option defined? When you boot you should have two options now, one regular and one with the /3gb userva= line... If you have that then there is a much easier way than cff explorer... Go to this link: http://www.mediafire.com/?mq0rmcib2wi4afw download 4gbpatch.zip double click it and point it to your fs9.exe, it will create a backup and mark your original largeaddressawareChange the boot.ini line, run the .exe above and you should be good to go!

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Daniel (aka "IAF747"):I don't see a clear statement as to whether you're using a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows XP, but I supect it is a 32-bit version. :(CAVEAT: DO NOT use the "4-GB Patch" with a Windows XP 32-bit version installationThe "4-GB Patch" is for Windows 64-bit versions ONLY with 4 or more GB RAM !).BTW: For Windows 64-bit systems ONLY with 4 or more GB RAM, that utility is here:http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.phpInstead, for Windows XP 32-bit, use the "/3GB Switch" in Boot.ini along with manually setting the FS9.exe file "Large_Address_Aware" flag... as shown in tutorial I wrote ...here: :(http://forum.simflig...the-3gb-switch/FYI: Both tweaks described immediately above work on a 2-GB RAM (...or more) 32-bit Windows FS install to reduce OOMs. :(Restore a backup of the last "FS9.exe" used prior to applying the automatic "4-GB Patch" (whether it was a RTM FS2004 version 9.0 , FS2004 version 9.1 patched "FS9.exe", or either "NO-CD" patched "FS9.exe"); that will then be the one to which you will apply the "Large_Address_Aware" flag... using "CFF Explorer" as shown in the linked tutorial above.WHY: I am not certain if one can find / manually remove all changes 'automatically' made by the "4GB Patch" utility.PS: AFAIK, AGP and PCI-Express video cards graphics data do NOT get 'cached' (read: "virtualized" in its entirety) from VRAM up into system RAM in Wiindows XP (although AGP "tries" to reserve contiguous address space blocks via ones AGP Aperture size BIOS setting).But, graphics data does get "virtualized" from VRAM up into system RAM in Windows Vista and Win-7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions).This video caching behavior consumes RAM otherwise needed by FS (thereby leaving less address space available in physical RAM, increasing potential reliance on the Windows virtual memory swap / paging file activity when FS scenery detail and aircraft / add-on complexity is set very high, or flight duration is very long ! ). :wink:Hope this helps ! :smile:GaryGB

Edited by GaryGB