What's new in the Library
Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
Bargain Hunters Forum
Classified, Want, Swap Ads
AVSIM Team Speak System
Community Links Library
FS9, FSX & P3D CTD Guide - UPDATED V2!
FSX / P3D Configuration Guide
Simulation's Premier Resource!
AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!
- REX 50% off Sale
- 4K on the cheap! (UK)
- Golden Age Simulations 50% off @ SimMarket
- Active Sky Next 30% off
- Thai Creations 50% off
- TropicalSim Airports 35% off at SimMarket until 30/06
- Are any TropicalSim airports any good?
- FSX-SE: 80% Off, 48hr Only
- Aerosoft Midsummer Sale
- DCS World - Flash Sale - 75% off most modules until midnight Central, 6am BST
- Brand new Corsair water cooler for sale
- i7-3700k, Gigabyte Z77X-UP7, Corsair Platinums 2133MHZ
- CPFlight 737 MCP EL & 737 EFIS PRO
- Boeing Style handles / Levers set for Saitek throttle quadrant
- Looking for VFR Photographic Scenery - Generation X - Vol. 7 Scotland Central
- New Opencockpits 737 V3 FMC $400.
- Nvidia GTX 980 FTW ACX 2.0
- Looking for a CH Products yoke for parts
- Lots of switches for your sim project.
- Saitek throttle knobs
. . .
Salty airCG Ops at Channel Islands
Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:33 PM
Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:28 PM
Channel National Park is just south of Santa Barbara, CA.
Where is that?
It's textured FSX water combined with a blend channel (a gradient from 100% to 0%) that makes a smoothtransition from the textured water to standard FSX water.
Cool! How do you get that effect?- jahman.
Yeah, thanks for the kind words, all!You can smell the fresh sea; inhale... :)
That looks killer! Great job Gottfried :)
Edited by N330DG, 24 February 2012 - 04:30 PM.
Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:34 PM
Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:46 PM
I almost only fly FSX these days. However in *some* aspects FS9 was better. The textures were darker and hi-res textures placed as TexPolys were sharper than the FSX terrain textures are (at same resolution). During testing, I'm sometimes amazed how good our FS9 hi-res versions look. However the advantages of FSX (native hi-res, textured water, textures to the horizon, blend channel) outweigh this IMHO.
People say how FS9 is "just as good" but when it comes to making scenery, the ability to take a geotiff, add a blend and mask, and pop it through resample is sooooo much easier to get a good result. And you can go down to 6cm resolution if you want.