The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!
Simulation's Premier Resource!
AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!
- FS Deal of the Week - MSE Portugal - Half Price!
- Aerosoft Katana 4X 40% Off
- FS Deal of the Week - MilViz B-55 Barons - 30% OFF
- Real Air Lancair Legacy 50%off
- Milviz Kingair B350i on Pre-Order for $10 Discount
- Traffic 360 $8 at just flight
- Any exciting Labor Day sales for FSX/P3D?
- MegaSceneryEarth 50% off through Labor Day
- EarthSimulations has a big 50% off sale for one week - dl and box
- Airline2Sim Q400 Training half price weekend....
- FSX PC For Sale (United Kingdom)
- ASUS Rampage III Formula
- AA 757-767 Set of Operating Manuals & Captains Case
- FS 2004 and FSX add ons for sale!
- Emuteq Items for Sale (GNS530 & NC165)
- For Sale: iFly 737NG (FSX Base, P3D Base, Cockpit Builders Edition Upgrade)
- Looking for someone in the Toronto area to build a custom PC
- FS 2004/FSX add ons for sale
- Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Throttle/Joystick set
- FS2004 Add-ons
. . .
Salty airCG Ops at Channel Islands
Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:33 PM
Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:28 PM
Channel National Park is just south of Santa Barbara, CA.
Where is that?
It's textured FSX water combined with a blend channel (a gradient from 100% to 0%) that makes a smoothtransition from the textured water to standard FSX water.
Cool! How do you get that effect?- jahman.
Yeah, thanks for the kind words, all!You can smell the fresh sea; inhale... :)
That looks killer! Great job Gottfried :)
Edited by N330DG, 24 February 2012 - 04:30 PM.
Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:34 PM
Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:46 PM
I almost only fly FSX these days. However in *some* aspects FS9 was better. The textures were darker and hi-res textures placed as TexPolys were sharper than the FSX terrain textures are (at same resolution). During testing, I'm sometimes amazed how good our FS9 hi-res versions look. However the advantages of FSX (native hi-res, textured water, textures to the horizon, blend channel) outweigh this IMHO.
People say how FS9 is "just as good" but when it comes to making scenery, the ability to take a geotiff, add a blend and mask, and pop it through resample is sooooo much easier to get a good result. And you can go down to 6cm resolution if you want.