Sign in to follow this  
Habejom

VERT PATH FULL

Hi all.Anyone knows what causes the "VERT PATH FULL" error message to appear on the FMC?Best regards,Armando Arjona

Armando,No, but, when did you see it?Like during route legs entry, SID/STAR selection, enroute?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Armando,No, but, when did you see it?Like during route legs entry, SID/STAR selection, enroute?
Hi, I've seen it a couple of times, most notably on the SID/STAR selection phase.The result of it is that the altitude at which waypoints without restrictions are crossed is not calculated and VNAV mode will not engage.

Hi, I've seen it a couple of times, most notably on the SID/STAR selection phase.The result of it is that the altitude at which waypoints without restrictions are crossed is not calculated and VNAV mode will not engage.
Ok,Post your route and procedure and a screenshot of the FMC error and we will try to duplicate it. Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Maybe it was a left over software debug routine ... programmers use to "trap" problems during testing. I used to use them when testing programs in maching language code.

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Hi all.Anyone knows what causes the "VERT PATH FULL" error message to appear on the FMC?Best regards,Armando Arjona
This is an actual FMC message that means your path has to many climb and/or decent segments. As mentioned earlier please post the flight plan so we can see what the specific issue is.I checked in with PMDG as well and there are some changes in SP1c that could effect this message. Again, please post the flight plan so we can get a better idea what's happening. Edited by falcon999

Again, please post the flight plan so we can get a better idea what's happening.
I will, as soon as I get the error again. The problem is that its kind of intermittent, meaning I´ve only seen it very few times, and its not dependent on what flight plan I use, meaning it once appeared on a flight plan I use almost every day. But, as soon as I get it again, I will post as much info as I can. (might be a few days until I get it again though)

Thank you. If it happens again, be sure to report as much detail about your system and flight as possible.

Edited by falcon999

I've been able to reproduce this error several times since the first time I saw it.I was enroute at cruise altitude and on FMC SPEED, LNAV, VPATH on a flight from KSFO to KORD the first time it happened and on my LEGS page in the FMC I tried to change the cruise altitude from FL310 to FL335.I typed "/FL335" in the scratchpad and the selected the right LSK next to the waypoint infirmation I wanted to change and the FMC blanked out the whole page of waypoint speed/altitude targets for a second, then repopulated them with profile info appropriate for the new cruise altitude... as soon as the recalculation was finished, VNAV disconnected and went into ALT HOLD mode, at which point I adjusted the altitude knob to 33500 and pressed VNAV and the plane started to climb.I then decided I actually wanted FL330 and so again in the scratch pad I entered "/FL330" and selected the proper LSK, but this time the speed/altitude data blanked out except for the one value I changed and the FMC didn't repopulate with new VNAV information. and the "VERT PATH FULL" message appeared in the scratchpad area, I tried cycling the FD switches, but that didn't work...I'm wondering if there is a VNAV flightplan waypoint number variable that is not being cleared each time the flightplan is reexecuted so that if you have a route with 15 waypoints and the FMC recalculates, that variable goes to 30 and then 45 etc each time a same "session" active (you're actually in the middle of using it) flightplan is reexecuted and then the stack overflows.This is actually my first post and I could be totally wrong, but its what I've seen happen in my installation.I love this Sim, oh, and Hi everyone! :)Addendum: I just realized after trying to remember details, that I did these actions without first, just changing cruise altitude from the cruise page of the FMC... Now I wonder if because it has the old cruise altitude there and a different cruise altitude in the LEGS pages if it doesn't enter some weird situation where it tries to calculate a "bouncing" VNAV route between the two altitudes (and that represents too many altitude changes too quickly, throwing the "VERT PATH FULL" message) instead of throwing a "disagree" error message.

Edited by dho112

David Obando

Home Airport KSFO
System: Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2, Intel I9-13900KS Watercooled, Asus Maximus Z690 Extreme Motherboard, 32 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600, ASUS RTX 4090 OC Edition, 4Tb NVME m.2 Array (2Tb x 2), Aorus FV43U 43" Display (144Mhz), Corsair Ax1600i powersupply, Marvel AQC107 10Gb Network adaptor, Comcast 1Gb Internet Service, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case 7x140mm, 4x120mm cooling fans.

This is an actual FMC message that means your path has to many climb and/or decent segments. As mentioned earlier please post the flight plan so we can see what the specific issue is.
Where is that in the FCOM? I looked under FMC messages and it isn't in the two different FCOMs I have.

Matt Cee

I've been able to reproduce this error several times since the first time I saw it.I was enroute at cruise altitude and on FMC SPEED, LNAV, VPATH on a flight from KSFO to KORD the first time it happened and on my LEGS page in the FMC I tried to change the cruise altitude from FL310 to FL335.I typed "/FL335" in the scratchpad and the selected the right LSK next to the waypoint infirmation I wanted to change and the FMC blanked out the whole page of waypoint speed/altitude targets for a second, then repopulated them with profile info appropriate for the new cruise altitude... as soon as the recalculation was finished, VNAV disconnected and went into ALT HOLD mode, at which point I adjusted the altitude knob to 33500 and pressed VNAV and the plane started to climb.I then decided I actually wanted FL330 and so again in the scratch pad I entered "/FL330" and selected the proper LSK, but this time the speed/altitude data blanked out except for the one value I changed and the FMC didn't repopulate with new VNAV information. and the "VERT PATH FULL" message appeared in the scratchpad area, I tried cycling the FD switches, but that didn't work...I'm wondering if there is a VNAV flightplan waypoint number variable that is not being cleared each time the flightplan is reexecuted so that if you have a route with 15 waypoints and the FMC recalculates, that variable goes to 30 and then 45 etc each time a same "session" active (you're actually in the middle of using it) flightplan is reexecuted and then the stack overflows.This is actually my first post and I could be totally wrong, but its what I've seen happen in my installation.I love this Sim, oh, and Hi everyone! :)Addendum: I just realized after trying to remember details, that I did these actions without first, just changing cruise altitude from the cruise page of the FMC... Now I wonder if because it has the old cruise altitude there and a different cruise altitude in the LEGS pages if it doesn't enter some weird situation where it tries to calculate a "bouncing" VNAV route between the two altitudes (and that represents too many altitude changes too quickly, throwing the "VERT PATH FULL" message) instead of throwing a "disagree" error message.
Thanks for the info, I will test this out. I need the exact KSFO-KORD flight plan.

Where is that in the FCOM? I looked under FMC messages and it isn't in the two different FCOMs I have.
I don't think he seen your post.

Best Regards,

The FMS has a few error messages that are unique to the sim only, primarily to trap errors in the syntax of the sidstar file. This is much preferred to the way it's done in the MD-11, which has no syntax error messages and an error will result in no or missing CDU data. Being human and being wierd enought to enjoy creating sidstar files, I am much appreciative to those error messages.I suspect that George would love to have the original SFO-ORD flightplan to track this honey down.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the info, I will test this out. I need the exact KSFO-KORD flight plan.
Hello!I'm new to this kind of simulation (though I am throwing myself fully into it, it's amazing!) so I hope I don't mess up with the syntax...Here is the flightplan I used: MOLEN3.ENI LIN J84 MVA J198 ILC J80 GLD J192 PWE J64 BDF.BDF5Econ Cruise/Cruise Altitude was .783/FL310 and I started making changes to the JNC waypoint about halfway inbetween SAKES and JNC... Equipment was 739, Fail Op, ISFD, Random failures All systems 1 event per 10 hours, limited events (I don't know if you need this information, but I'm including it just in case)I just wanted to say at this point that I find this simulation incredible! I read thru the other thread where some people were complaining about the amount of time it was taking for SP1c, but to be honest, I'll be training with the FMC to get competent with it over the next 3 months! and there is so much to the sim beyond that, just take your time and do the Service Pack the way you want it without rushing. In my opinion there is so much depth here that either the people complaining are retired 737 Captains, or they have a touch of ADHD LoL! :)Keep up the good work!David

David Obando

Home Airport KSFO
System: Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2, Intel I9-13900KS Watercooled, Asus Maximus Z690 Extreme Motherboard, 32 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600, ASUS RTX 4090 OC Edition, 4Tb NVME m.2 Array (2Tb x 2), Aorus FV43U 43" Display (144Mhz), Corsair Ax1600i powersupply, Marvel AQC107 10Gb Network adaptor, Comcast 1Gb Internet Service, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case 7x140mm, 4x120mm cooling fans.